Farrell "All in" on Peterson as pitching coach

bej6789

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Source:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8595739/john-farrell-boston-red-sox-likes-rick-peterson-pitching-coach-source-says

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd share. What happens now? Does DD make a last ditch push to keep Peterson in Baltimore?

If im DD, im offering him the pitching coach job of the Orioles. You cant just let him walk off to Boston without a fight.

Source: Boston set on pitching coach

Updated: November 5, 2012, 11:41 AM ET

By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- The Red Sox are expected to make a decision on their new pitching coach by Tuesday, and new manager John Farrell is "all in" on longtime pitching coach Rick Peterson as his choice, according to a baseball source.

I agree. You want to show the Orioles are back? Have an organizational employee turn down a Red Sox offer to remain with Baltimore. If there's anything that can show a changing of the guard in the AL east, a highly respected pitching guru staying with the Orioles instead of taking an offer with the Red Sox would certainly qualify.

Well then, good luck Buck. You better hope your BP doesnt regress.

I'll bet you it would regress even with the re-incarnated corpse of Cy Young as it's leader.

Expecting another year out of the bullpen like the one they just got is silly. They need to sure up their starting pitching & pick up a few guys who can get on base.

I agree. You want to show the Orioles are back? Have an organizational employee turn down a Red Sox offer to remain with Baltimore. If there's anything that can show a changing of the guard in the AL east, a highly respected pitching guru staying with the Orioles instead of taking an offer with the Red Sox would certainly qualify.

I don't know enough about Adair or Peterson (or pitching coaches in general) to really have an opinion, but I DO think that the most important thing here is to have the best pitching coach that we can possibly have. Whether that is Adair or Peterson, I don't know.

I don't like to think of it in terms of "showing that we have arrived" or making sure we don't lose out to Boston. It smacks of an inferiority complex. The bigger picture here is to determine who the best option is for O's pitching coach, and doing what is necessary to get that guy.

I don't know enough about Adair or Peterson (or pitching coaches in general) to really have an opinion, but I DO think that the most important thing here is to have the best pitching coach that we can possibly have. Whether that is Adair or Peterson, I don't know.

I don't like to think of it in terms of "showing that we have arrived" or making sure we don't lose out to Boston. It smacks of an inferiority complex. The bigger picture here is to determine who the best option is for O's pitching coach, and doing what is necessary to get that guy.

It isn't about an "inferiority complex". It's about keeping your manager happy with a staff he picked. And oh BTW, the PC for the team is credited by guys like Chen and Hammel with having done a pretty good job.

I'll bet you it would regress even with the re-incarnated corpse of Cy Young as it's leader.

Expecting another year out of the bullpen like the one they just got is silly. They need to sure up their starting pitching & pick up a few guys who can get on base.

I agree. Thats why I think its so important to keep Peterson in the organization. We finally see some improvements in areas, now were going to just let it leave. Unless Peterson doesnt see a lot of potential in the arms we have. Which that scenerio is even more worrisome, if thats the case.

It isn't about an "inferiority complex". It's about keeping your manager happy with a staff he picked. And oh BTW, the PC for the team is credited by guys like Chen and Hammel with having done a pretty good job.

To me, a ML pitching coach, is like a guidance counsler. Keep em going in the right direction. A good pitcher, should have an idea on how to pit h by the time he gets to the show. Thats where a good organizational plan and teaching comes into play. Thats what Peterson brings. If he wants to be in Boston, nothing we can do. I just hope the Orioles put up a fight.

It sucks to lose him but its not the end of the world. We just need to start making smart decisions as an organization and replacing guys who move on with qualified candidates. You know, like all quality organizations do.

Peterson wasn't going to stay on as a organizational coach when he could be the PC of one of the highest profile teams in baseball. They still have a lot of talent in Boston and it's a good move for him.

DD did a nice job to sign Peterson last year. Adair is Buck's guy. Buck will be loyal to him. The only thing to do is thank Rick for his service and wish him well except when his play the O's.

The O's probably will not replace him.

Or offer him a new title and a fat raise while explaining the job he has in Baltimore is much more important then a fourth stint as a ML pitching coach.

Then if he walks anyway, you tried your best.

Archived