Farrell "All in" on Peterson as pitching coach

bej6789

My question is why? Is it a better job? Are they paying more money? When you have a guy getting credit for helping Matusz become what he become for us when he came back, and Tillman, and really we had a nice change in the staff as a whole this year, why arent you trying everything you can to keep the guy? I hope that if we lose him, someone in the system has been groomed to pick up right were he left off, or there is someone else that we can hire to be a better replacement. Kind of bums me out.

1. Perhaps the reason he signed only a one-year deal to begin with was to keep his option open for ML PC jobs in the future.

2. I'm sure DD has someone in mind to replace him.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette brought on Peterson because Peterson's philosophy made sense, was innovative, and could help the Orioles. He didn't hire Peterson to implement Duquette's biomechanical philosophies. My assumption was that he was, more-or-less, buying a canned, off-the-shelf pitching system with the hiring of Peterson.

But anyone can pay the money and have the same analysis done, no?

Let's not forget that Peterson was fired in mid-season by the Mets after a controversial tenure and let go by the Brewers with a year remaining on his contract.

There were stories circulating around here that Mike Flanagan (or someone else in the FO at the time) had joked with the Mets about trading pitching coaches, because Mazzone wasn't winning that many friends on the pitching staff either.

I'd really hate to lose him. Think about how many pitching coaches (and Peterson) Brian Matusz has had to work with in the majors and minors. It's not only that consistency would be nice, but we've finally found somebody who fits in well and gets results from our young pitchers. I'd give Peterson whatever he wants. Think about what Ray Miller meant to the O's as our pitching coach. And we're gonna let him go to the Red Sox? Ugh.

I'd really hate to lose him. Think about how many pitching coaches (and Peterson) Brian Matusz has had to work with in the majors and minors. It's not only that consistency would be nice, but we've finally found somebody who fits in well and gets results from our young pitchers. I'd give Peterson whatever he wants. Think about what Ray Miller meant to the O's as our pitching coach. And we're gonna let him go to the Red Sox? Ugh.

I hate to see him leave too. But it could be he wants to leave.

Two Things:

1. Peter Gammons tweeted this not so long ago.

Peter Gammons‏@pgammo

President and Senate races aside, media Bosox P coach race may be s Dewey Defeats Truman story

2. Eduardo Encina tweeted a link to his article about Correnti who apparently could replace Peterson for the biomechanics stuff.

Eduardo A. Encina‏@EddieInTheYard

O's Insider blog: Orioles news, notes and observations: Peterson, Correnti, Gausman and more: The Boston Red Sox... http://bsun.md/YQvdEe

Hate to lose Rick. He is a big loss if he goes. I think the Orioles pitchers REALLY benefitted from his mechanical tinkering, especially Matusz and Arrieta. I hope they have a better pitching coach in

the wings.

It may come off as hyperbole but I think if Peterson leaves, it will undo everything we accomplished on the pitching front this past season. In my view, it is absolutely necessary to follow up last season with another competitive winning season. Keeping Peterson is a huge part of that happening.

Not all that concerned about Peterson staying or leaving. I just hope that a consistent approach is maintained.

I'm glad he seemed to help Tillman. He didn't seem to do much for Arrieta. (Both in very limited samples, obviously.)

Jim Johnson was helped a lot by bullpen coach Alan Dunn.

Zach Britton credits Calvin Maduro for helping him develop his sinker.

A lot of these cases are just guys being in the right place at the right time with the right people. Which is not to say that coaches don't matter, because I think they do, but I think their importance can be overstated, particularly a pitching coach. Ultimately the cream usually rises to the top anyway.

Like I said, whether he stays or goes, just maintain a consistent approach throughout.

Not all that concerned about Peterson staying or leaving. I just hope that a consistent approach is maintained.

Like I said, whether he stays or goes, just maintain a consistent approach throughout.

That's the primary concern I have. That they have someone who is clearly in charge and has the responsibility, the knowledge, and the hammer to enforce the plan.

You can probably find someone(s) who have the knowledge. But the problem before was (at least in part) that there was no overarching plan or person to implement a plan, and the instruction would be all over the place. One season you had Scott McGregor telling Adam Loewen to throw across his body, the next year somebody else was doing something different. It's all third hand accounts, but it certainly seemed a mess. I'm afraid the new guy will not be as smart or organized or as respected and influential.

Two Things:

2. Eduardo Encina tweeted a link to his article about Correnti who apparently could replace Peterson for the biomechanics stuff.

This is encouraging...

Correnti is still under contract with the Orioles through the end of the year and it’s unlikely the club would let him interview for a similar position with the Red Sox. The sense I get is the Orioles and Correnti are happy with their current arrangement and it will continue into 2013.

Archived