Farrell "All in" on Peterson as pitching coach

bej6789

I guess the question is whether the organization is well-versed enough in Peterson's philosophies to pick up the ball and run with it themselves. If Peterson is the key to the whole thing I'd do almost anything to keep him. If they have others who can continue his work, maybe he's not crucial.

All I know is that independent observers were saying the Orioles organization was innovative and forward thinking and using things like biomechanical baselining and analysis, and prior to Peterson that kind of talk about the Orioles wasn't just crazy, but fancifully, insanely, ludicrously crazy. The O's and innovative hadn't been used in the same sentence since Earl was the manager.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If im DD, im offering him the pitching coach job of the Orioles. You cant just let him walk off to Boston without a fight.

That's not gonna happen. Adair is the pitching coach. If Peterson is staying with us it will be as pitching coordinator. If he chooses to stay it will be for lifestyle and $$$ (assuming DD would pony up some more money if it meant keeping him around). Not everyone likes the grind of a 162 game season afterall. That's really our best hope.

This one could be really devastating imo.

I don't know if "devastating" is the term I would use. A quick google search shows many health institutes dedicated to biomechanical analysis.

Is Peterson the best? Within my limited perspective, I would say probably. Are there many others out there who are comparable? Again, probably. Duquette put this program in place and I fully expect that it will continue.

It sucks to lose him but its not the end of the world. We just need to start making smart decisions as an organization and replacing guys who move on with qualified candidates. You know, like all quality organizations do.

Peterson wasn't going to stay on as a organizational coach when he could be the PC of one of the highest profile teams in baseball. They still have a lot of talent in Boston and it's a good move for him.

He might if he's Director of Organizational Pitching Philosophy and Strategic Implementation, with a salary of $2M a year, and free reign over exactly how all Oriole pitching is drafted, developed, scouted, monitored, and analyzed.

He might if he's Director of Organizational Pitching Philosophy and Strategic Implementation, with a salary of $2M a year, and free reign over exactly how all Oriole pitching is drafted, developed, scouted, monitored, and analyzed.

I am down with all of the above except "drafted" and "scouted".

I guess the question is whether the organization is well-versed enough in Peterson's philosophies to pick up the ball and run with it themselves. If Peterson is the key to the whole thing I'd do almost anything to keep him. If they have others who can continue his work, maybe he's not crucial.

All I know is that independent observers were saying the Orioles organization was innovative and forward thinking and using things like biomechanical baselining and analysis, and prior to Peterson that kind of talk about the Orioles wasn't just crazy, but fancifully, insanely, ludicrously crazy. The O's and innovative hadn't been used in the same sentence since Earl was the manager.

Right, I'd be shocked if Peterson left and then suddenly the organization was like "Welp, there he goes, guess we'll revert back to the way we were". The problem for us (the fan), is that we have zero concept as to how important Peterson really is to the whole process. Everyone agrees it's been a critical part of the success/turnaround of our pitching staff, but no one really knows if it can be implemented without Peterson. I'm sure they'll tell you it can be, but the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm more upset that this will likely mean an implementation is Boston. I'm sure it was only a matter of time, and maybe they already have something similar in place, but for once, I felt like we were cutting edge, doing something no one else was doing, and it was working. Now we'll have to suffer through Peterson "fixing" Lester, Bucholz, etc

That's not gonna happen. Adair is the pitching coach. If Peterson is staying with us it will be as pitching coordinator. If he chooses to stay it will be for lifestyle and $$$ (assuming DD would pony up some more money if it meant keeping him around). Not everyone likes the grind of a 162 game season afterall. That's really our best hope.

I wouldn't count on the lifestyle part being too important. The fact that he voluntarily interviewed means he'd take on the lifestyle change. Now kicking in more money to keep the lifestyle intact ... that's another matter ... . Let's hope that he was really happy this past year and that it won't take too much to convince him to stay.

I don't understand why so many people here assume Peterson is the only person capable of implementing a biomechanical program. He did an excellent job with our system, but try to remember that it was Duquette who put Peterson in place and I strongly doubt if we revert back to the way things were before Peterson's arrival.

Peterson was a tool of Duquette's vision, not vice-versa.

I don't understand why so many people here assume Peterson is the only person capable of implementing a biomechanical program. He did an excellent job with our system, but try to remember that it was Duquette who put Peterson in place and I strongly doubt if we revert back to the way things were before Peterson's arrival.

True but there is a reason Duquette picked him over other candidates. I would rather the O's retain his services while at the same time denying said services to the Red Sox.

Right, I'd be shocked if Peterson left and then suddenly the organization was like "Welp, there he goes, guess we'll revert back to the way we were". The problem for us (the fan), is that we have zero concept as to how important Peterson really is to the whole process. Everyone agrees it's been a critical part of the success/turnaround of our pitching staff, but no one really knows if it can be implemented without Peterson. I'm sure they'll tell you it can be, but the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm more upset that this will likely mean an implementation is Boston. I'm sure it was only a matter of time, and maybe they already have something similar in place, but for once, I felt like we were cutting edge, doing something no one else was doing, and it was working. Now we'll have to suffer through Peterson "fixing" Lester, Bucholz, etc

Totally agree with this...While obviously we should do what we can to retain him, he's replaceable....

That's not happening. I like Peterson but he's not displacing Buck's hand picked choice as PC.

I agree, giving him more money and hoping he enjoyed the position is our best hope.

This is true also. I've said it before, there are people out here on the west coast that have worked with RP, including my former teammate Alan Jaeger, who know all about his methods. If DD wants he can find someone else to keep on with the same methodology.

The guy is less valuable as a ML pitching coach. He isn't going to be totally breaking down deliveries and such at the ML level, especially with experienced pitchers. If he wants to be a pitching coach, then the O's should say "so be it". He will be missed, but if he was promoted to O's pitching coach his real benefit would be missed in the minors IMO. Hopefully the O's can find someone else who has worked with the biomechanics system or develop that within the system.

DD did a nice job to sign Peterson last year. Adair is Buck's guy. Buck will be loyal to him. The only thing to do is thank Rick for his service and wish him well except when his play the O's.

The O's probably will not replace him.

Why do you think they will not replace him? The O's have always had a minor league ptching coordinator.

Archived