Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well some of you want us to trade them anyway if it means we can compete for a championship for one season.

Actually, thats the opposite of what I want. I want them to supplement that talent, by spending on a player that is an actual upgrade, and gives us a legitament MOO bat.

You mean a team that went to the WS is still signing quality free agents to improve their team to get all the way to the top???

You don't say.

Are you really comparing Hunter to Hamilton? Hunter has been a fantastic fit for Detroit since they let Delmon walk.

You have mentioned them a few times, citing them as an example of what we could do. I don't know why you would cite a bad example.

I used that ONE trade several times, as an example that no contract is untradeable. Not once, did I say go out and sign 5 of the top FA, only to have a firesale a year later. Suggesting the O's sign Hamilton, is FAR from that line of thinking.

So you don't want to go for it this year, next year, or the year after because you are worried we won't be able to compete in 4 or 5 years? I'm sorry, but you never know what the road ahead has in store, which is why you have to act now when an opportunity presents itself. In years past the Orioles have not had these kinds of opportunities...when we DID sign FAs, it hurt us because we still needed so many other things and we couldn't afford them.

The difference is that now we DON'T need that much else, just a few small holes or weaknesses to address, and WE could be the best team in baseball. Let's say we're conservative and don't sign Josh Hamilton, over the next three years we make the playoff twice, miss them once, one of those two years we are knocked out in the Wild Card game and the other one we lose in game 6 in the League Championship Series...

Now imagine year 4 is here and Bundy has a career ending elbow blowout (or at least a "he'll never be the same" injury), and Wieters is 31 and slowing down (as catchers do when they reach their 30's) but he's about to get a ridiculous contract extension, and Adam Jones is 32 years old and not what he once was...

Manny Machado is arbitration eligible and about to become ridiculously expensive, Schoop never panned out, Hardy is long gone, Davis had his few years and is gone, Chen signed with the Yankees, Markakis is 34 but a fan favorite that people don't want to let go of and would be mad if we didn't sign him for a year or two at a really over-priced rate...

Where does that put us? And that scenario is even an optimistic one compared to my comparison with the Rockies, if we end up like them we will miss the playoffs this year and be the worst team in the division in 2014 with little hope for the near future...

Count me in the "now is the time to take our chances" category...besides, if we sign Hamilton and win a WS, or get close to it every year, we all of a sudden will be a perennial contender, and that changes EVERYTHING...just sayin' :o

There is much to consider in this post. Some of it is quite true and a possible view of our future. What is not necessarily true is the thought that a max contract to a fading, flawed veteran changes this future in a meaningful way. Somebody else. Some other time. And this coming from a guy who says if we win a world series, he's good with another 14 year valley.

Are you really comparing Hunter to Hamilton? Hunter has been a fantastic fit for Detroit since they let Delmon walk.

Who said I was comparing him to Hamilton? Not me.

I said he was a quality free agent, which he is.

I said a team that went to the WS signed him, instead of standing pat, which they did.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize the odds of your scenario were so well defined...well in that case, let's never sign another free agent who's ever received a single all-star vote and see what we can do...I mean, it's flawless...

Don't worry, once those guys we "home grow" become expensive, there will be plenty suggesting the O's trade them, to get more prospect's, we can sit around and wait to develop ;).

There is much to consider in this post. Some of it is quite true and a possible view of our future. What is not necessarily true is the thought that a max contract to a fading, flawed veteran changes this future in a meaningful way. Somebody else. Some other time.

Oh that is such a perfect example of a losers mindset. So, so perfect. Short, sweet and to the point.

What a great look into the mentality of how a losing franchise thinks, it is almost like you were channeling the warehouse from in front of your computer.

They also don't take into consideration, that Wieters, Machado, and Bundy might not WANT to exyend with the O's. Especially if they are showing no desire to building a team with a real shot at contending. Bundy especially (Going by some of his father's comment's) seems like a guy that will chase the money. And that most likely won't be with the O's.

How does this matter with the 2013-2015 payrolls? Neither Machado nor Bundy will even be arbitration eligible during that time so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

You mean a team that went to the WS is still signing quality free agents to improve their team to get all the way to the top???

You don't say.

They aren't in the same shape as the O's..the O's aren't a Hunter or a Hamilton away from contention..oh wait, that was the arguement used to discount signing Matt Holliday. What's the popular reasoning now? Oh yeah, Spending money is not the way to bulid and sustain longterm success ;).

Archived