Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

Oh that is such a perfect example of a losers mindset. So, so perfect. Short, sweet and to the point.

What a great look into the mentality of how a losing franchise thinks, it is almost like you were channeling the warehouse from in front of your computer.

I do not care for that player. And I've been in the warehouse. And I don't consider myself a loser.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does this matter with the 2013-2015 payrolls? Neither Machado nor Bundy will even be arbitration eligible during that time so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

You just made my point for me. The logic that signing Hamilton, will somehow hinder the O's from keeping their own talent.

]I didn't realize 2 players represented 24[/b]. There is sound logic to the idea that Hamilton could hinder the Orioles keeping their own talent.

Well, the main guys are already locked up. So their salaries are locked in place. The only expensive ARB guys will be Wieters, Hammel, and JJ. And a reasonable guess can be made on their salaries. Hardys' salary is figured in. So, who are we going to lose because of Hamilton? Casilla/Andino/Flaherty/Teagarden? I just don't see how Hamilton alone, would cripple this franchise financially over a 5 or 6 year deal. Maybe i'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Well, the main guys are already locked up. So their salaries are locked in place. The only expensive ARB guys will be Wieters, Hammel, and JJ. And a reasonable guess can be made on their salaries. Hardys' salary is figured in. So, who are we going to lose because of Hamilton? Casilla/Andino/Flaherty/Teagarden? I just don't see how Hamilton alone, would cripple this franchise financially over a 5 or 6 year deal. Maybe i'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Cool. We have a CF, RF, SS, and SP locked up in 2014. Yes I understand those are the only "committed salaries" but it is poor judgment to not consider all the arbitration cases. We are keeping the majority of our arbitration eligible players this year (O'Day, JJohnson, Matusz, Weiters, and Davis). And we will still have the rest of the players on the team to worry about.

I am not arguing that Hamilton will specifically cause a payroll crunch, but to outright shun the idea is poor long term planning.

Cool. We have a CF, RF, SS, and SP locked up in 2014. Yes I understand those are the only "committed salaries" but it is poor judgment to not consider all the arbitration cases. We are keeping the majority of our arbitration eligible players this year (O'Day, JJohnson, Matusz, Weiters, and Davis). And we will still have the rest of the players on the team to worry about.

I am not arguing that Hamilton will specifically cause a payroll crunch, but to outright shun the idea is poor long term planning.

My reasoning is, that the O's are getting 25 mil n revenue from the tv deal. Added to the 7-10 mil they brought in from the playoffs. That pays for 25% of Hamiltons deal. So, i'm just hoping the O's use it to improve.

We won't do this, but I'd rather invest in Grienke for 6 years than Hamilton at similar dollars. I really want the MOO bat, but Hamilton is surrounded by red flags (injury, addiction, apparent reduction in bat speed this year). I'd love to have Hamilton, but I feel he's a bigger risk than Grienke. Yes, I feel stupid saying that about a pitcher, but I do feel that way.

So, you sign Grienke and you see if Tillman, Matusz and Delmonico (or some mix like that) can get you Justin Upton. That way you've satisified your MOO need AND a pitching need.

What nobody really wants to discuss is the fact that we have a lot of our current payroll tied up into good but not great guys. Roberts is a lot of dead money, but Kakes and Jones will be paid like stars but may not be. This hinders our ability to pay for a true MOO bat or TOR pitcher. I'd rather see a major shake up involving signing a guy like McClouth, trading Jones and Markakis and ending up with a guy like Upton/Hamilton. It would take many moves to totally realign how our payroll is distributed, but at least we'd hopefully be investing in better star players. As it stands, we're simply investing in good to very good players, depending on the month, and that limits our ability to acquire the true difference makers.

We won't do this, but I'd rather invest in Grienke for 6 years than Hamilton at similar dollars. I really want the MOO bat, but Hamilton is surrounded by red flags (injury, addiction, apparent reduction in bat speed this year). I'd love to have Hamilton, but I feel he's a bigger risk than Grienke. Yes, I feel stupid saying that about a pitcher, but I do feel that way.

So, you sign Grienke and you see if Tillman, Matusz and Delmonico (or some mix like that) can get you Justin Upton. That way you've satisified your MOO need AND a pitching need.

What nobody really wants to discuss is the fact that we have a lot of our current payroll tied up into good but not great guys. Roberts is a lot of dead money, but Kakes and Jones will be paid like stars but may not be. This hinders our ability to pay for a true MOO bat or TOR pitcher. I'd rather see a major shake up involving signing a guy like McClouth, trading Jones and Markakis and ending up with a guy like Upton/Hamilton. It would take many moves to totally realign how our payroll is distributed, but at least we'd hopefully be investing in better star players. As it stands, we're simply investing in good to very good players, depending on the month, and that limits our ability to acquire the true difference makers.

sounds good to me...but signing Grienke is the same thing...I just want a log on this fire before it burns out...(I won't let it go folks, I just won't...)

S

There is much to consider in this post. Some of it is quite true and a possible view of our future. What is not necessarily true is the thought that a max contract to a fading, flawed veteran changes this future in a meaningful way. Somebody else. Some other time. And this coming from a guy who says if we win a world series, he's good with another 14 year valley.

Weams I hear what your saying.... but every year there is a new excuse. Last year Fielder was too fat. In previous years we are not good enough yet. I Next year im certain there will be another reason. Is Hamilton perfect...no Is he without risk? No. Will he decline fast not sure. He might have to DH.. but all i care about his offensive production.

S

Weams I hear what your saying.... but every year there is a new excuse. Last year Fielder was too fat. In previous years we are not good enough yet. I Next year im certain there will be another reason. Is Hamilton perfect...no Is he without risk? No. Will he decline fast not sure. He might have to DH.. but all i care about his offensive production.

I have always thought this. I don't need to make excuses each year.

There are guys that I think are good values. The big name top guys each year don't really fit what my vision of how a mid level team such as our competes. Would I take on a poor contract at the trade deadline if my team were competitive? Yes, Absolutely. I just believe that all of those contracts (see ARod, Albert, Prince) are poor investments. Like buying Facebook IPO stock was. It is just a belief that I have.

According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, there's a belief that the Red Sox will try to sign Josh Hamilton.

"Boston wants to do something big and it wouldn't shock me if they became players for Hamilton," an unnamed general manger told the CBS Sports reporter. The Red Sox do have quite a bit of room in their budget, but they also have many holes to fill. Committing over $100 million to one player might not be the wisest strategy at the moment for that organization. The Mariners, Brewers, Orioles and Braves are also known to have interest.

Source: CBS Sports Nov 15 - 11:02 AM

Archived