Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

TEX set a low bar for Hamilton. So no team is going to sound like they are going to give him much more. They will wait until the market begins to establish itself and then make their 4 -5 year offers. The O's are in a position to wait it out, they aren't desperate. They have fall back options that will enable them to still upgrade. They were willing to spend 140 M + on Teix and Prince, so they have it for Hamilton for the right number of years.

Dead on. Only caveat I would add though is that they made the offers on Tex and Prince but there was a reasonably certainty in those cases that better offers would come or be refused. I don't know about anyone else but I never got the sense the O's were really significant players for either those guys. There final offers were significantly lower than the amount the guys signed for. I am ok with whatever they chose to do, with Weiters looming in the not to distant future if the bidding gets uncomfortable, I would not fault the O's for pulling out.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dead on. Only caveat I would add though is that they made the offers on Tex and Prince but there was a reasonably certainty in those cases that better offers would come or be refused. I don't know about anyone else but I never got the sense the O's were really significant players for either those guys. There final offers were significantly lower than the amount the guys signed for. I am ok with whatever they chose to do, with Weiters looming in the not to distant future if the bidding gets uncomfortable, I would not fault the O's for pulling out.

Id like to see the Orioles be aggressive. Not 7 years aggressive. But figure out a way to get it done. If they don't get him you don't want all the other options to be gone.

If there is a weak market, id be shocked to see the Yankees stay out of it. Years will dictate the market. The markets weak because of years. If Hamilton says he will take 4 or 5 years, there will be a bigger market.

The Yankees have an enormous financial incentive to get under the luxury tax for 2014 to reset their luxury tax rate for the future. I fully expect them to do everything they can to achieve this and that is not feasible if they sign Hamilton.

The Yankees have an enormous financial incentive to get under the luxury tax for 2014 to reset their luxury tax rate for the future. I fully expect them to do everything they can to achieve this and that is not feasible if they sign Hamilton.

It is unlikely that they sign him but I think the Luxury Tax is a pretty unsophisticated mechanism. Pretty sure it just checks the payroll in a given year against the cap number. If the Yankees were to structure a deal 10/10/25/25/25/25 would the commissioner's office kill the deal?

It is unlikely that they sign him but I think the Luxury Tax is a pretty unsophisticated mechanism. Pretty sure it just checks the payroll in a given year against the cap number. If the Yankees were to structure a deal 10/10/25/25/25/25 would the commissioner's office kill the deal?

So, you are saying that Bobby Bonilla still counts against us? :)

You are incorrect. The luxury tax is based on AAV.

When the Yankees actually prove their goal is to save money, i'll believe it.

Archived