Duquette on Sirius XM Today

Os84

1) Duquette doesn't understand how Gomes can go from 1mm last year to 5mm in Boston as a part time DH. "Those kind of economics don't work in Baltimore"

2) We will be active in the free agent market

3) Likes Casilla. Switch hitter, good arm, speed, good defender

4) on Trayvon - switch hitter, real good speed, power potential

5) on Reynolds, we turned down an 11mm option on him. We could bring him back, but if not, we have in house options

6) We have told clubs we are looking for a 1b, LF, or DH, and one that would preferably be a MOO bat

7) Really wants to see what Urrutia can do

8) When pressed on Greinke and Hamilton, he said that he wouldn't count us out of it, but the value for us is in the draft. Again reiterated that the economics in Baltimore don't work for us as big time spenders in FA

9) When asked about our rotation he seemed to say that our first four guys are Tillman, Chen, Hamel and Gonzalez.

10) Then we have Britton, and Steve Johnson "who other teams like"

11) We are going to look for more pitching because you can never have enough

12) on Gonzalez, outstanding control and two plus pitches. Pitched great again the Yankees in the playoffs

13) Tillman won 17 games last year between the minors and majors. Pitched like a TOR last year for us, said Duq

14) McLouth - real good last couple months for us and we want him back. Buck likes him. He would be a good compliment to Reimold

15) What it is like working for Angelos - Peter wants nothing more than to give the fans a good team to root for. He was engaged with the team. The 18 game affair in Seattle had over 60k viewers at 4am when the game went over. Said he talked to Angelo's the next day to tell him he wanted to bring a pitcher up and Angelo's said he should have called him after the game was over as he stayed up to watch it himself. He was loving the fact of being in NY for the playoff games

16) Buck and Peter are old pros

17) When asked about Marlins trade, it's a real interesting trade. Backloaded a lot of contracts and it didn't work and they dismantled it. BJ's paid a fair price in the young players they gave up. They spent a lot of money, but they have put people on notice that they want to win. Duq thinks that the way they Marlins work is a viable way of winning in today's game

18). We know who we are in Baltimore and we know what we can support (financially)

19) Chris Davis had a breakout year. Apparently he is up for a Gibby (Gibbie) award for breakout hitter

20) Machado is up for a Gibby award for play of the year against TB (the spin play where he caught the guy off of 3rd)

21) We are not going to spend 175 mm to get into contention

22) We will get some more "Casilla and Robinson" type players in the coming weeks

23) Bundy came along in his development of his change-up last year. Doesn't know where he will start this year

24) Gausman has an excellent sinker, top notch change up and advanced control. Both (Bundy) have a chance to help our team next year

25) Viewership was up over 50% on our network (MASN)

I would like to hear from anyone that heard the interview. This what I get out of Paul's notes:

5) on Reynolds, we turned down an 11mm option on him. We could bring him back, but if not, we have in house options

Sounds like Reynolds will be non tendered. That saves 8-9M. They could bring him back at a lower salary (5-6m) if no one else signs him. Chris Davis will be the 1B.

6) We have told clubs we are looking for a 1b, LF, or DH, and one that would preferably be a MOO bat

and

Sounds like Britton and Johnson for Willingham as a MOO bat. Those two surely will not get Butler.

Sounds like DD will be in on Saunders

14) McLouth - real good last couple months for us and we want him back. Buck likes him. He would be a good compliment to Reimold

Sounds like DD really wants McLouth back. (Hold up may be length of contract and may be playing time related)

How close do you think I am to what DD is trying to do?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never said that. But the names being thrown around sure wont improve this team either. When I say last place, you do know its possible to win 82 games, and still finish last in the AL East? Im not saying this will be a 100 loss team, but the Yankees are still the Yankees, the Rays' pitching will krep them in it. The BJ's will be better. And no way does Boston settle for a repeat of last year. Minir moves like Robinson and Casilla gives good depth. But, it's not over the top moves. I like the moves DD has done. But, if he isnt alotted the recources needed to compete, he has his hands tied. He has to hope every buy low guy has rebound or career years. Its like buying scratch off tickets, and every one is a winner. The odds arent there. Just like the odds of repeating last year arent probable. Thats just my view on it.

So much wrong with this post.

We need to put to rest that the AL East could have 4-5 teams at or over .500. It just won't happen. Just like the idea two years ago that El Trea had that two teams could have 100 win seasons in the AL East. It just isn't going to happen.

As last year showed, the Red Sox completely imploded, as did the Jay's team, and the Orioles took off. There is random chance mixed in with talent.

And as mentioned about last year, not every move paid off, but luckily DD was quick to abandon plans that failed miserably.

As for your comment earlier about fans wanting to line Angelos' pocket, that is just a dumb comment.

I would like to hear from anyone that heard the interview. This what I get out of Paul's notes:

Sounds like Reynolds will be non tendered. That saves 8-9M. They could bring him back at a lower salary (5-6m) if no one else signs him. Chris Davis will be the 1B.

Who is the DH then? Reimold? Betemit?

and

Sounds like Britton and Johnson for Willingham as a MOO bat. Those two surely will not get Butler.

I'd hate that trade.

Sounds like DD will be in on Saunders

As he should be.

14)

McLouth - real good last couple months for us and we want him back. Buck likes him. He would be a good compliment to Reimold

Sounds like DD really wants McLouth back. (Hold may be length of contract and may be playing time related)

I think he does to. Sounds more like McLouth wants to test the market then it is the O"s holding things up.

How close do you think I am to what DD is trying to do?

I really like the talk of not overspending on guys, but being active in free agency. That means plenty of low cost, high reward, minor league free agent type of signings. Guys like McLouth and Gonzalez last year. Someone like Grady Sizemore this year. Also found it interesting that Urrutia came up. Sounds like they are high on him.

We need to put to rest that the AL East could have 4-5 teams at or over .500. It just won't happen. Just like the idea two years ago that El Trea had that two teams could have 100 win seasons in the AL East. It just isn't going to happen.

As last year showed, the Red Sox completely imploded, as did the Jay's team, and the Orioles took off. There is random chance mixed in with talent.

And as mentioned about last year, not every move paid off, but luckily DD was quick to abandon plans that failed miserably.

As for your comment earlier about fans wanting to line Angelos' pocket, that is just a dumb comment.

That's what I really love about DD. The Dana Evelend trade last year got blasted. The O's gave him a ****, he was awful, and we didn't see him. DD is going to make plenty of moves this offseason. Not all of them are going to work. But DD will have plenty of sleepless nights fixing those problems if they don't.

No. But the fact they made a big push to trade for Reyes and Johnson, shows they are willing to trade prospects and/or take on payroll. The O's have shown a reluctance to do either.

The Jays are in a position to trade prospects because of a lot of supplemental picks in the previous years and having a deep system. The Orioles have Bundy, Gausman, and Schoop and that's about it. Everyone else is pretty much a project.

Roch had the actual quote as this: "If we bring back Mark Reynolds, that will help our ballclub," Duquette said. "If we don't bring back Mark Reynolds, I know we have some people in-house that are very capable of doing that job."

I really like the talk of not overspending on guys, but being active in free agency. That means plenty of low cost, high reward, minor league free agent type of signings. Guys like McLouth and Gonzalez last year. Someone like Grady Sizemore this year. Also found it interesting that Urrutia came up. Sounds like they are high on him.

LF - McLouth vs righties; Willingham/Reimold vs lefties

DH - Willingham/Reimold/Betemit

Roch had the actual quote as this: "If we bring back Mark Reynolds, that will help our ballclub," Duquette said. "If we don't bring back Mark Reynolds, I know we have some people in-house that are very capable of doing that job."

Thanks, I haven't read Roch yet. Will do that now. That quote softens the intent.

So even though he has mentioned 1b on his need list, he may only be referring to Mark.

"I would never say 'never.' Certainly, a No. 1 pitcher would help our ballclub, and certainly a middle of the lineup hitter would. I wouldn't count us out, but the best way for us to build the team is not through the free agent market, because that's not where the real value is for the Orioles."

More MASN money - check

More MLB money - check

More attendance money - check

More of the same excuses - check

Wieters due for an extension. Hammel a possible extension candidate. Jim Johnson a possible extension candidate. Mark Reynolds possibly getting a 2-3 year deal. If not him then someone else. Darren O'Day an extension candidate after next year. Continue to get better, spend more, and have a larger scouting department. Both college and international. There are a lot better places that money can go then to Josh Hamilton. No matter how bad you and some others don't want to believe that.

LF - McLouth vs righties; Willingham/Reimold vs lefties

DH - Willingham/Reimold/Betemit

You have mentioned Willingham alot. You have a strong feeling he is a strong option?

Yeah, I never heard anyone say that a 100 million dollar payroll was EVER happening again. In just resigning our current team, we are close to that.

I never came out and said an exact number. But DD has said numerous times that the money would be there if it would benefit the team.

Watch it CS because a logical argument will get you labeled a troll!

Archived