Is a move coming? Orioles have outrighted OF Steve Pearce to AAA Norfolk

Greg

Why would you expect a lot back? His offense was atrocious last year. His value was solely from defense.

Because he was a valuable player last year despite a down year offensively. I'd pencil him in for 3 WAR with upside at well below market rates. He's a valuable trade chip.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just have to be getting back Castellanos in a tigers trade. Peralta is a one year third base stop gap. He needs to be bridging the gap to Castellanos. If Detroit gets Jim Johnson and Hardy, they have it all. I would think my proposal of Porcello, Peralta, Castellanos, Crosby and Suarez is do-able for Detroit.:thumbsup1:

OBP aside, Hardy is an elite defensive SS who lead all AL SS's in hr last year. Plus he is underpaid when considered to WAR value.

For those who think he does not have much value: You are wrong.

Completely agree with this. Most teams are willing to play a SS who can't hit a lick if his defense makes up for it. Hardy, despite his flaws, actually has some pop. So you get the defense AND the offense to boot.

All that said, I'm not opposed to trading him, but only in a deal for our 3b of the future or present.

It's ashame that the Royals are happy with Escobar because I would have LOVED a Hardy + ? for Moustakas type of trade.

OBP aside, Hardy is an elite defensive SS who lead all AL SS's in hr last year. Plus he is underpaid when considered to WAR value.

For those who think he does not have much value: You are wrong.

I agree. The market for good fielding shortstops this off-season has been insane, even more insane than the $8 million dollar multi-year deals given to #5 starters. Arizona essentially gave up a nearly ML ready top 10 power pitching prospect for a defensive shortstop prospect with modest, at best, offensive upside. Stephen Drew got 8 figures despite his many, many shortcomings. At this point I've got to assume 2-years of a bargain priced, gold glove caliber ML shortstop with average to above average offensive capabilities is worth a lot, perhaps even a Nick Castelleanos, especially to a team that wants, and needs, to win right now, like Detroit does.

I have no issue with the Orioles spending money, or trading to acquire talent. My concern is avoiding mistakes that could hamstring the franchise just as our window is opening. The Sox and Yankees(and probably the Jays) will always be able to outspend us. That's not going to change anytime in the foreseeable future. So we have to be shrewd when trading away talent and spending big money on free agents. One or two significant misfires, and we could be out of competition for a few years. Albert Belle is an extreme but illustrative example of this.

This free agent class was awful. Most of the quality players in our areas of need are 32 or older(Swish, Youk, LaRoche, Hamilton, etc.). Most would also cost a draft pick in addition to the inherent risk of their big money, multi-year contracts. We simply can't afford to eat bad contracts the way the Yanks and Sox do. I was in favor of giving Prince a big deal last year- not 9 years but up to 6 or maybe even 7 would've been fine with me. If King Felix was available, I would want to get involved. If LaRoche was 29, I'd be okay with offering him a big contract and losing a pick. But he's 33. History is littered with examples of what happens when you give guys well into their 30s big money, multi-year deals. It's rarely ever a happy ending.

Albert: Belle was bad not a bad signing. Any MLB player can have a career ending injury. So bad luck Yes..bad signing no. Same thing with Roberts. He was a very good player when we signed him. The only thing that had happened due to these is imo that it made Angelos more gun shy.

Take it for what it is worth, but I saw this comment on the hardballtalk.com article regarding the Porcello rumors:

Trading Hardy would seem to run counter to the whole idea of trading for Porcello. I would think the reason we would want Porcello is that he is a ground ball pitcher and would presumably do better with the O's infield defense behind him than he did with the Tigers. How does that work if we are simultaneously losing Hardy?

Albert: Belle was bad not a bad signing. Any MLB player can have a career ending injury. So bad luck Yes..bad signing no. Same thing with Roberts. He was a very good player when we signed him. The only thing that had happened due to these is imo that it made Angelos more gun shy.

Belle's hip didn't come out of nowhere- there were rumblings about it prior to the deal. It was risky, and it went nuclearon us. I believe Hamilton will be much the same for the Angels though not quite as extreme since they have more resources and are better able to absorb that kind of loss.

There's always risk with big contracts, even if you're signing a guy for his age 27-32 seasons. I would just prefer to err on the side of caution and reason in cases where risk is present and obvious, i.e.- huge multi-year contracts for guys north of 30, especially ones with injury concerns like Hamilton, or ones that were never quite elite players like Swisher and LaRoche. History generally agrees with this position.

It's not that I don't want to spend, I just don't want to spend foolishly. Especially when that money may be needed for Weiters, Davis, etc. in a few years.

Trading Hardy would seem to run counter to the whole idea of trading for Porcello. I would think the reason we would want Porcello is that he is a ground ball pitcher and would presumably do better with the O's infield defense behind him than he did with the Tigers. How does that work if we are simultaneously losing Hardy?

They would be moving Machado back to his natural position.

The hard part is getting someone to replace Machado at third.

Belle's hip didn't come out of nowhere- there were rumblings about it prior to the deal.

I don't remember that at all. Belle played 158+ games for the three years before we signed him, and 161 games his first year with us. I don't think there were any concerns at all about Belle being an injury risk when we signed him. He had personality issues and that was the big reservation about signing him.

Olney On Saunders, Hairston, Hanrahan, Howell

By Zach Links [December 21, 2012 at 8:17pm CST]

In today's column, Buster Olney of ESPN.com (Insider sub. req'd) looks at the best second-tier and third-tier free agents remaining. Here's a look at the highlights..

Joe Saunders is receiving interest from four clubs and the Orioles have ramped up their efforts to retain him. It seems Saunders would be in position to get more than the two-year, $15MM deal signed by Joe Blanton.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/olney-on-.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#cltbc4hVmiWgDozY.99

A nearly 100-post thread on Steve Pearce getting outrighted. We certainly are desperate for some actual news, aren't we?

My guess is that there's no other move forthcoming-- Duquette just wanted to clear a spot on the roster to get fans buzzing about what it means, then he'll sit back and have a good laugh. ;)

I don't remember that at all. Belle played 158+ games for the three years before we signed him, and 161 games his first year with us. I don't think there were any concerns at all about Belle being an injury risk when we signed him. He had personality issues and that was the big reservation about signing him.

I could swear that that I heard that it came out that his hip was known about but downplayed prior to the deal being signed.

I could swear that that I heard that it came out that his hip was known about but downplayed prior to the deal being signed.

Just my personal opinion, but if he knew about the degenerative hip condition, i don't think he would have opted out if the White Sox deal.

Archived