Rosenthal: O's made run at Upton? (Upton rejects trade to M's)

ChaosLex

That is a pretty craptastic package. Lots of upside, though with a very low ceiling. Britton and ERod could serve as decent pieces, but why would they want Avery? He is nothing more than a 4th or 5th piece, if that. And with Hoes, they already have too many OFers on their roster.

Maybe so, but I doubt they could get much more - realistically - as opposed to the bogus trade with Seattle.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True it is conceivable.

I would think that if there was a realistic possibility for a better offer to exist that AZ wouldn't have tried to trade him to one of the four teams he could block.

Also possible another team was playing hardball and now sees Zona is ready to move on to other trade partners. Zona might even know Upton would block (and require $$ to eventually okay), which now creates a leveraged situation where they can go back and say, "Last chance before we sort this out with Upton and Seattle."

Just too tough to know since the public has, like, 5% of the info.

More fuel for the fire...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/1310/justin-upton

Latest NewsRecent NewsDiamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said he will not lower his asking price for Justin Upton following a potential deal with the Mariners that Upton rejected.

"I'm not taking less," Towers said. "I'm in no hurry." Upton last week exercised his no-trade clause to reject a deal that would have sent him to Seattle and Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Stephen Pryor and Charlie Furbush to Arizona. While the D'Backs have publicly stated a desire to keep Upton, the belief at this point is that the relationship between the two is frayed and it would be best for both sides to part ways. The Rangers are reportedly no longer considering an Upton deal, but the Braves, Mets, Orioles and Rays represent possible landing spots. Jan 13 - 12:45 PMSource: CBSSports.com

Latest NewsRecent NewsDiamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said he will not lower his asking price for Justin Upton following a potential deal with the Mariners that Upton rejected.

"I'm not taking less," Towers said. "I'm in no hurry." Upton last week exercised his no-trade clause to reject a deal that would have sent him to Seattle and Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Stephen Pryor and Charlie Furbush to Arizona. While the D'Backs have publicly stated a desire to keep Upton, the belief at this point is that the relationship between the two is frayed and it would be best for both sides to part ways. The Rangers are reportedly no longer considering an Upton deal, but the Braves, Mets, Orioles and Rays represent possible landing spots. Jan 13 - 12:45 PMSource: CBSSports.com

Does anyone really believe this? How many times have the Orioles been listed as a potential FA landing spot/trade partner over the years with NOTHING ever happening?

Does anyone really believe this? How many times have the Orioles been listed as a potential FA landing spot/trade partner over the years with NOTHING ever happening?

I'm just as skeptical as you are. What I took away from this post is that the Rangers are out of the mix. If that's true, that's good news. Still think he ends up in Atlanta playing with his brother though.

I'm just as skeptical as you are. What I took away from this post is that the Rangers are out of the mix. If that's true, that's good news. Still think he ends up in Atlanta playing with his brother though.
Thr Rangers aren't out of it any more than Towers really won't take less. He will and most likely it will be from the Rangers. They are both posturing.

Atlanta wants a leadoff hitter. I think they will wind up with Bourn back in CF and BJ in LF. Bourn addresses a need in Atlanta. I think the Braves will sign Bourn and save their chips for July.

The Rays?

That seems suspect. They just let his brother walk so naturally they would...bring in another one that would cost even more soon?

A lesson how 1 little word can make all the difference: This is on KFFL.com

Braves | Rekindling Justin Upton talks

Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:37:19 -0800

The Atlanta Braves have rekindled trade talks for Arizona Diamondbacks OF Justin Upton.

0 Comments | Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution - David O'Brien |

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb#834769#ixzz2I485PAGx

Then I clicked on Dave O'Brien's twitter - What he actually wrote was - The Atlanta Braves have not rekindled trade talks for Arizona Diamondbacks OF Justin Upton.

Slight difference.

Atlanta wants a leadoff hitter. I think they will wind up with Bourn back in CF and BJ in LF. Bourn addresses a need in Atlanta. I think the Braves will sign Bourn and save their chips for July.

I tend to agree with this. Bourn gets a solid 1 yr deal with ATL promising not to extend a qualifying offer for him at the end of the season.

I tend to agree with this. Bourn gets a solid 1 yr deal with ATL promising not to extend a qualifying offer for him at the end of the season.
Possibly, but I think Bourn would be a good fot for TEX, and if they don't get Upton, TEX could offer Bourn the multiyear deal he wants. I think that's what Boras is waiting for.

Possibly, but I think Bourn would be a good fot for TEX, and if they don't get Upton, TEX could offer Bourn the multiyear deal he wants. I think that's what Boras is waiting for.

Anything's possible. I would guess TEX would rather trade from excess to get Upton for three years with a slew of really high upside outfielders making their way up the ladder. But what do I know about how Texas runs their FO?

Anything's possible. I would guess TEX would rather trade from excess to get Upton for three years with a slew of really high upside outfielders making their way up the ladder. But what do I know about how Texas runs their FO?
TEX would definitely prefer Upton, but Bourn would be a good second prize. I doubt things get ironed out before ST begins.

Archived