Rosenthal: O's made run at Upton? (Upton rejects trade to M's)

ChaosLex

I tend to agree with this. Bourn gets a solid 1 yr deal with ATL promising not to extend a qualifying offer for him at the end of the season.

That'd make sense and allow the Braves to work in Evan Gattis slowly - to see if he looks like the real deal. What a great story Gattis could be.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the following article old news or is a deal for Upton still possible? It's dated yesterday.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/1/17/3886682/mlb-trade-rumors-orioles-jj-hardy-trade

Where does Upton play if we obtain him? He's listed as a RF. There were reports Nick might move to 1B and he went to ST early to work on playing there. Less strain on his hand throwing around the infield vs making the long throws from the OF.

Is Upton really worth trading for? His numbers last year are average although his OBP is consistently good, he's only 25, has speed and power and is righthanded. He's also from Norfolk, VA. Would you package Hardy for him? J J is from Arizona. We might be doing him a favor sending him home. Hardy would be less expensive for them ($7 million in 2013 and 2014 with $500,000 incentives each year)as Upton will be making $9,750,000 in 2013, $14,250,000 in 2014 and $14,500,000 in 2015. BROB will be coming off the books next year so Upton's 2014 and 2015 salary will not hurt us too bad.

By the way.......does everyone know Nick's contract this year is $15 million and $15 million in 2014. The team has an option with him at $17.5 million with a $2 million dollar buyout in 2015. He made $12 million last year.

I'd rather keep hardy and his defense and pop from the SS position than have to reshuffle the entire outfield and the entire infield (potentially moving machado to short and bringing in someone else at third or (shudder) playing betemit at third base.

Hardy was a pretty valuable player last year, he came up with clutch hits and timely defense and Upton is a malcontent who doesn't really fit in on this team at all (both from a personality standpoint nor from a baseball standpoint). Our team is pretty much set as it is right now and Upton would throw everything completely off, especially if we traded Hardy for him. I'd rather give up some starting pitching and relief pitching and maybe someone like Hoes or Schoop than to basically derail all the momentum we built last year by shooing off hardy, reshuffling the defense all over the field and hoping Uptin can get back to his old form and doesn't sulk.

I can see why we'd consider it, but I don't personally believe its what is best for this team.

So...you're saying this is not a face that exudes confidence and MLB savvy?

profile.jpg

FWIW we don't mention the Nick to 1B move in the article. That sounds preposterous to me, considering the defense he provides in right.

All our source said was that the Hardy talks were real and there's still a shot that he gets moved this winter.

I don't know that it's the right move for the club, but I do think that Machado's presence provides Baltimore with flexibility to go in several different directions were they to trade Hardy.

Appreciate the comments and the face time! Feel free to let your opinions be heard at www.mlbdailydish.com anytime!

Archived