Rosenthal: O's made run at Upton? (Upton rejects trade to M's)

ChaosLex

They are from Nov. 12 of 2012. Has anything happened since then? Maybe Klein is injured and Sickels doesn't know about it? I would be surprised if that were the case.

You and Stotle are talking about different people. You mean Branden Kline, the recent 2nd round draft pick. He thinks you mean Dan Klein, the once-promising but recently injured RP prospect.

6) Branden Kline, RHP, Grade B-: Live arm from University of Virginia, second round pick, erratic in college but has fastball/slider combination to succeed in pro ball. Somewhat raw for a college guy, but considerable upside. Could develop into mid-rotation starter if changeup develops, or a closer if he fits better in relief.

Sickels

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You and Stotle are talking about different people. You mean Branden Kline, the recent 2nd round draft pick. He thinks you mean Dan Klein, the once-promising but recently injured RP prospect.

Sickels

Yes. That's the one I spelled his name wrong.

Britton= Hultzen

Schoop =Franklin

Strop =Furbush

Klein >Pryer

Looking at the stats, Klein & Kline <<< Pryer.

My guess is that Upton goes to play with brother BJ in Atlanta. The Braves are in a good position to trade the kind of package of young pitching that the Mariners offered.

They are from Nov. 27 of 2012. Has anything happened since then? Maybe Kline is injured and Sickels doesn't know about it? I would be surprised if that were the case. \

"Branden Kline, RHP, Grade B-: Live arm from University of Virginia, second round pick, erratic in college but has fastball/slider combination to succeed in pro ball. Somewhat raw for a college guy, but considerable upside. Could develop into mid-rotation starter if changeup develops, or a closer if he fits better in relief."

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/11/27/3698600/baltimore-orioles-top-20-prospects-for-2013

Well, you misspelled Kline a multitude of times, so obviously a few of us were thinking the actual "Klein". That said, Brandon Kline can't be traded until the summer so.....

Why would the DBacks even work on a deal with the M's if they knew that it would get shot down anyway? To leak it to the media and set the market? Was this a favor to them by the M's GM?

Who knows?

Anyway, I would give up Britton, Schoop, Bridwell, Avery and a PTBNL (Kline) for Upton. Five nice prospects for an inconsistent (though really, it pretty much only his SLG that is inconsistent) wannabe MLB superstar. I don't like the idea of giving up Britton or Schoop which leads me to believe that it might be almost enough. Upton/Jones/Markakis/McLouth is one heck of an OF.

On Intentional talk tonight Sean Casey and Chris Rose both said that Upton has to be traded now.

Both wondered what Dbacks were thinking. Trying to trade a player to a team who is on his limited no trade???

Both said that he is a young impact bat who will only get better with age (he is only 25).

Casey said that even when he had a down year he still hit .280 hit 17 HR's and scored over 100 runs. Casey said he likes how young he is and willing to take a walk.

Both agreed that his trade value has diminished because Kevin Towers has brought in more OF'ers and pretty much has said "We don't want Justin, we want to trade him"

Casey said if he were the Braves he would call Towers and say "You aren't getting my top pitching prospects, but call me when you get serious and want me to take him off your hands"

Rose said that Dbacks are dying to trade him now that it was publicized that they tried to deal him. Said "Upton knows now for sure that they are trying to move him."

Easy to criticize in hindsight what the Dbacks GM tried to do.

The DBacks GMs can ...

Be criticized for seeking the best package from the most interested team (Seattle) or be criticized for taking a lesser package and ignoring Seattle.

If we weren't so married to Jones, just throwing this out for thoughts (even poor ones), I wonder if we could acquire Upton, send Jones to Seattle (perhaps another set of issues) and get a package to the DBacks.

Anyway, Kevin Towers is a big boy and he'll figure it out.

Why would the DBacks even work on a deal with the M's if they knew that it would get shot down anyway? To leak it to the media and set the market? Was this a favor to them by the M's GM?

Who knows?

Anyway, I would give up Britton, Schoop, Bridwell, Avery and a PTBNL (Kline) for Upton. Five nice prospects for an inconsistent (though really, it pretty much only his SLG that is inconsistent) wannabe MLB superstar. I don't like the idea of giving up Britton or Schoop which leads me to believe that it might be almost enough. Upton/Jones/Markakis/McLouth is one heck of an OF.

I think you're on the right track. I just hate giving up both Schoop and Britton - particularly Schoop. How about Britton, Avery (Does AZ have a legit CFer?), Eduardo Rodriquez (who I think has significant value), Hoes, and Bridwell? That's a hefty package, but I think the O's can afford it.

Archived