Rosenthal: O's made run at Upton? (Upton rejects trade to M's)

ChaosLex

According to ESPN Insider ....Upton will be dealt this offseason.

I'm a bigger Cody Ross fan than most are, but what were they thinking by signing him when they did - and painting themselves in a corner where they feel they have to trade Upton after a lot of teams that otherwise might be in the bidding have already made their plans? And that "trade" with the Mariners looked so transparent and phony. Now, I think they're likely going to have to settle for significantly less than FMV.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a bigger Cody Ross fan than most are, but what were they thinking by signing him when they did - and painting themselves in a corner where they feel they have to trade Upton after a lot of teams that otherwise might be in the bidding have already made their plans? And that "trade" with the Mariners looked so transparent and phony. Now, I think they're likely going to have to settle for significantly less than FMV.

Hopefully this is situation that DD can take advantage of.

I think you're on the right track. I just hate giving up both Schoop and Britton - particularly Schoop. How about Britton, Avery (Does AZ have a legit CFer?), Eduardo Rodriquez (who I think has significant value), Hoes, and Bridwell? That's a hefty package, but I think the O's can afford it.

That is a pretty craptastic package. Lots of upside, though with a very low ceiling. Britton and ERod could serve as decent pieces, but why would they want Avery? He is nothing more than a 4th or 5th piece, if that. And with Hoes, they already have too many OFers on their roster.

Why would the DBacks even work on a deal with the M's if they knew that it would get shot down anyway? To leak it to the media and set the market? Was this a favor to them by the M's GM?

Who knows?

Anyway, I would give up Britton, Schoop, Bridwell, Avery and a PTBNL (Kline) for Upton. Five nice prospects for an inconsistent (though really, it pretty much only his SLG that is inconsistent) wannabe MLB superstar. I don't like the idea of giving up Britton or Schoop which leads me to believe that it might be almost enough. Upton/Jones/Markakis/McLouth is one heck of an OF.

That isn't getting it done. If Walker was included in the Seattle deal, you'd need Bundy headlining. Britton certainly isn't getting it done as the top piece. Franklin arguably a better piece than Schoop, and Bridwell/PTBNL (Kline -- which would never happen) lesser pieces than two other arms.

That is a pretty craptastic package. Lots of upside, though with a very low ceiling. Britton and ERod could serve as decent pieces, but why would they want Avery? He is nothing more than a 4th or 5th piece, if that. And with Hoes, they already have too many OFers on their roster.

Craptastic is an excellent descriptive. I agree.

That isn't getting it done. If Walker was included in the Seattle deal, you'd need Bundy headlining. Britton certainly isn't getting it done as the top piece. Franklin arguably a better piece than Schoop, and Bridwell/PTBNL (Kline -- which would never happen) lesser pieces than two other arms.

Not that I think the proposed O's offer would get it done but...

The Mariners had the best offer on the table. They have now been eliminated. Odds are very good that if Upton is traded it will be for less then the Mariners' offer.

Not that I think the proposed O's offer would get it done but...

The Mariners had the best offer on the table. They have now been eliminated. Odds are very good that if Upton is traded it will be for less then the Mariners' offer.

That doesn't necessary follow. Many ins-and-outs of negotiations of these types create different decision-making levers.

That doesn't necessary follow. Many ins-and-outs of negotiations of these types create different decision-making levers.

True it is conceivable.

I would think that if there was a realistic possibility for a better offer to exist that AZ wouldn't have tried to trade him to one of the four teams he could block.

Archived