Do you think Adam Jones would willingly move from CF if we got someone better?

Frobby

Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?

• Yes, he's a team player and would willingly do what Buck asks
    • No, he has a big enough ego where he'd openly resent the move
    • It would depend who the other CF was

It seems like we frequently discuss acquiring someone who has better CF stats (as measured by things like UZR, +/-, TotalZone, dWAR, etc) than Adam Jones, and then moving Jones to LF. Right now, Michael Bourn is the flavor of the month, but we've discussed this with other players many times.

My question is, do people believe that Adam Jones would willingly move to a corner OF spot if we brought in a really good defensive CF?

Personally, I do not believe Jones would react well at all to such a move. He's a team leader, and a good guy, but he's also got a pretty sizeable ego and a stubborn streak. And, deserved or not, he has two Gold Gloves to back up his opinion of himself.

For me, whatever flaws Jones has in CF, he's solid enough, and with his bat he has far more overall value than most centerfielders. I think whatever defensive benefit might come from bringing in a better defender and moving Jones to a corner spot would not be worth the disruption it would be likely to cause. So, in my view, there's no real point in even discussing bringing another CF in here.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know it's been a slow off season when we get polls about events that probably will never happen...

I believe that Frobby likes to post polls to essentially tell all of the people that come up with ridiculous ideas that they're in the minority. It's actually clever.

I believe that Frobby likes to post polls to essentially tell all of the people that come up with ridiculous ideas that they're in the minority. It's actually clever.

Let's just say, I like to test how many people actually share the opinions that are sometimes put out on the board. Right now this poll is running very close, and it will be interesting to see if it stays that way.

They are not going to ask, but if they did he would agree begrudingly. We wouldn't get much in the way of public disappointment expressed. Quite a bit in prinate.

I agree with this. I think he has enough respect for Buck to do it, but I don't think he'd like it. Could mess with chemistry.

Archived