Orioles Claim Todd Redmond

clapdiddy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Robinson is claimed by another team, what would have to happen for him to come back to us? For example: Steve Johnson was claimed from the Orioles by the Giants in the 2009 rule 5 draft and then he was returned right back to us in 2010.

He would need to be released from the claiming team's 40-man roster, then re-claimed by us. Of course, he would have a chance to get claimed by everyone again at that point.

If Robinson is claimed by another team, what would have to happen for him to come back to us? For example: Steve Johnson was claimed from the Orioles by the Giants in the 2009 rule 5 draft and then he was returned right back to us in 2010.

Apples and oranges.

Rule 5 is different from straight waiver claims. In the Rule 5, players left unprotected from the 40 man rosters with a certain amount of service time must remain on the claiming teams' 25 man roster all year long. So the Giants had to keep Johnson on their roster all year long and couldn't option him off the 25 man roster. If they couldn't complete a trade with the Orioles to retain his rights, Johnson had to be offered back to the Orioles and if the team wants the player back, they pay a nominal fee half of what the claiming team did.

Robinson is out of options and for him to be removed off the 25 man roster also means he have to be removed from the 40 man roster. If a team claims Robinson, then he is their property. Now if the new team wants to take Robinson off their 40 man roster, then they have to DFA him as well and the Orioles could claim him back, but he would have to go on the 25 man roster. Now, if a player has been DFAed and they clear waivers, they have to remain with the organization that DFAed them if it is the first time. Any subsequent time being DFAed, they can elect free agency if they clear waivers.

This is probably a stupid question but what happens if he isn't claimed by anyone now? Will he have to accept his assignment and be removed from the 40-man roster? If he is claimed by another team and is then removed from that team's 40-man roster, will we have to keep him on the 40-man roster if we re-claim him?

If he goes unclaimed, he can be outrighted to the minors, which means he would still be in our organization. If we re-claim him after another team releases him from their 40-man, he would have to be placed on our 40-man again.

This is probably a stupid question but what happens if he isn't claimed by anyone now? Will he have to accept his assignment and be removed from the 40-man roster? If he is claimed by another team and is then removed from that team's 40-man roster, will we have to keep him on the 40-man roster if we re-claim him?

There isn't really a stupid question when it comes to roster makeup since sometimes the rules make no sense.

Hopefully my previous post helps but I will answer your questions directly here.

If he isn't claimed by anyone, he will have to accept the assignment to Norfolk because it is his first time being outrighted. He will be off the 40 man roster. If he is claimed, he must remain on their 25 man roster (if during season). Because he is out of options, he has to remain on the 25 man roster. There is no way for him to be active and on the 40 man roster and not on the 25 man roster during the season for any team.

The way DD does things even if is claimed he may end up back with Orioles later in the season. It has happened already last year. No stone unturned.

This is an aspect of Duquette's leadership that I enjoy, even though it's probably overlooked. He is willing to keep tabs on a player who leaves the organization, and if an opportunity presents itself, that guy might be brought back

Steve Pearce and J.C. Romero are two examples of guys who spent two separate stints with the organization last year. I know they're not the most talented players in the league, but it provides me with some faith that if a favorite of mine is let go in the future, they might be back before too long.

Moyer and Tejada are two former O's that Duquette brought back to the organization last year...just to give them a shot to prove themselves in AAA. Mark Hendrickson is getting that opportunity this season.

Other posters have said that they could definitely imagine the O's trading for Saunders again this year if we are making another playoff run. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I also wouldn't mind a possible reunion with Mark Reynolds, although that is highly unlikely, being that Duquette has pretty much made it clear that he doesn't like the guy.

I have a feeling that Buck was somehow involved with the Reynolds departure. Buck seemed to have a problem with Jeremy Guthrie (based on interviews after he was traded) and he was traded. Either that or we know something injury-related about Reynolds that made us pass on him. I find it hard to believe that Duquette and Buck screwed up the Reynolds situation so badly. There must have been something else factoring in that we don't know about yet.

I'm really hoping that's the case. I know this topic has been beaten to death on these boards, but I think the majority of posters agree that they'd feel a lot more confident going into this season with Reynolds as an option for our lineup instead of some combination of Betemit/Valencia/Ishikawa/Canzler/Jackson. Reynolds wasn't the greatest player on the team, but the fact that he hasn't been replaced with anyone who can be counted on for 20+ home runs and 75+ RBIs is shameful.

Reynolds plain and simply swung at too many bad pitches. At times it was excruciating to watch. I think DD just couldn't see paying the money needed to re-sign the guy. Too many times he came to the plate in crucial situations and whiffed at a ball in the dirt or a foot outside and tailing away.

Reynolds plain and simply swung at too many bad pitches. At times it was excruciating to watch. I think DD just couldn't see paying the money needed to re-sign the guy. Too many times he came to the plate in crucial situations and whiffed at a ball in the dirt or a foot outside and tailing away.

This has been discussed many times, but Reynolds did NOT swing at a lot of bad pitches. He had one of the lowest percentages of songs at pitches outside the strike zone of anyone on the team. Reynolds' problem is that he swings and misses at pitches in the strike zone.

This is far from the truth. He actually had a pretty good sense of the strike zone. His problem was the ball would have to hit the bat versus the bat hitting the ball. Adam Jones swings at more bad pitches than Reynolds. Chris Davis in one of last year's playoff games against the Yankees had three AB's swung at missed 9 times on the same pitch (hard slider), all balls down and in. In at least two of those AB's he only saw 3 pitches. Hopefully it was just a bad night for him.

I believe that both Reynolds and Saunders were not re-signed because of the budget. I think DD is willing to go over budget for the right player but he wasn't willing to do that for either of those two players. I still think if he finds an affordable MOO bat he will trade for him even if its make him go over budget. The O's payroll is around 90M now. If he had sign Reynolds and Saunders he would have been over 100M. I don't think DD budget allowed for that. JMO.

I believe that both Reynolds and Saunders were not re-signed because of the budget. I think DD is willing to go over budget for the right player but he wasn't willing to do that for either of those two players. I still think if he finds an affordable MOO bat he will trade for him even if its make him go over budget. The O's payroll is around 90M now. If he had sign Reynolds and Saunders he would have been over 100M. I don't think DD budget allowed for that. JMO.

I think that this is spot on. The Reynolds situation was also complicated by his option salary. I believe that it was around 12 million. There is no way that the Orioles were going to pick up that option or take a chance in overpaying him ( 8 to 10 million) by offering him arbitration.

Archived