Orioles Claim Todd Redmond

clapdiddy

This is far from the truth. He actually had a pretty good sense of the strike zone. His problem was the ball would have to hit the bat versus the bat hitting the ball. Adam Jones swings at more bad pitches than Reynolds. Chris Davis in one of last year's playoff games against the Yankees had three AB's swung at missed 9 times on the same pitch (hard slider), all balls down and in. In at least two of those AB's he only saw 3 pitches. Hopefully it was just a bad night for him.

Exactly, I've never seen someone make a bat look like a fly swatter as much as Reynolds. He put forth massive swings on great hitters pitches and seemed to whiff 80% of the time. He knew how to wait for his pitch and in the few times he made contact it went really far. But he got his pitch and missed it more often than not.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reynolds plain and simply swung at too many bad pitches. At times it was excruciating to watch. I think DD just couldn't see paying the money needed to re-sign the guy. Too many times he came to the plate in crucial situations and whiffed at a ball in the dirt or a foot outside and tailing away.

Plain and simply, this analysis is wong. Reynolds has plenty of flaws, but lets not citicize him for things he does not do.

• 7 months later...

One of the biggest mistakes in DD's tenure IMO. Redmond was a great waiver claim by the O's (from Cincy from Atlanta). He had two options remaining and could help stabilize Norfolk's rotation. The Orioles quietly passed him through waivers before opening day and lost him to the Blue Jays, where he has set up shop in their rotation and looks pretty good to have a spot next year.

Tonight he held the Yankees to one run over 7 IP while K'ing 7. Heck he did the same to Baltimore (in 6.1 IP) last week. He got blasted by Houston but outside of that outing, he has been nails against the AL East.

One of the biggest mistakes in DD's tenure IMO. Redmond was a great waiver claim by the O's (from Cincy from Atlanta). He had two options remaining and could help stabilize Norfolk's rotation. The Orioles quietly passed him through waivers before opening day and lost him to the Blue Jays, where he has set up shop in their rotation and looks pretty good to have a spot next year.

Tonight he held the Yankees to one run over 7 IP while K'ing 7. Heck he did the same to Baltimore (in 6.1 IP) last week. He got blasted by Houston but outside of that outing, he has been nails against the AL East.

Weams mentioned this in the game thread last night as well, and I'd agree. A much better guy to keep around than Freddy Garcia.

Weams mentioned this in the game thread last night as well, and I'd agree. A much better guy to keep around than Freddy Garcia.

Why? Why would you say a guy who had no major league success at all and only progressed at AAA after multiple repeat visits was "much better guy to keep around" than someone who was a fairly solid but unspectacular Major League pitcher? I find it hard to nail the Orioles for passing on a guy who the Braves never called up in four AAA seasons, and whom the Reds let go almost as quickly as the Orioles.

There have to be dozens of AAA journeymen who have 90 mph fastballs and only have two good pitches (95% of the time Redmond throws a fastball or slider).

Why? Why would you say a guy who had no major league success at all and only progressed at AAA after multiple repeat visits was "much better guy to keep around" than someone who was a fairly solid but unspectacular Major League pitcher? I find it hard to nail the Orioles for passing on a guy who the Braves never called up in four AAA seasons, and whom the Reds let go almost as quickly as the Orioles.

There have to be dozens of AAA journeymen who have 90 mph fastballs and only have two good pitches (95% of the time Redmond throws a fastball or slider).

Eh...good point. I'm man enough to admit I could be wrong! :D

I don't know if I would characterize it as DD's biggest mistake, but I was surprised that a guy with options who could possibly be a starting candidate was waived when there was still dead wood on the 40-man roster. All things considered, I'm sure DD would like to have that move back, but if that was DD's worse move, that's not too bad.

I don't know if I would characterize it as DD's biggest mistake, but I was surprised that a guy with options who could possibly be a starting candidate was waived when there was still dead wood on the 40-man roster. All things considered, I'm sure DD would like to have that move back, but if that was DD's worse move, that's not too bad.

Absolutely. You can't win if you don't play.

Archived