Spring Notes: Brian Roberts a full go this spring

Tony-OH

My recollection of a healthy BRob is a guy who allowed the next hitter behind him to see a lot of pitches...don't know if there is a stat for that.

Pitchers per plate appearance. Baseball reference keeps this under Batting Advanced, scroll down to the Pitch Summary Batting section.

<PRE>

Year Age Tm Lg PA Pit Pit/PA Str

2001 23 BAL AL 294 1116 3.80 727

2002 24 BAL AL 149 571 3.83 360

2003 25 BAL AL 515 2019 3.92 1251

2004 26 BAL AL 738 2915 3.95 1831

2005 27 BAL AL 641 2359 3.68 1503

2006 28 BAL AL 630 2418 3.84 1528

2007 29 BAL AL 720 3012 4.18 1814

2008 30 BAL AL 706 2844 4.03 1709

2009 31 BAL AL 717 2901 4.05 1772

2010 32 BAL AL 263 1096 4.17 685

2011 33 BAL AL 178 685 3.85 440

2012 34 BAL AL 74 293 3.96 185

12 Yrs 5625 22229 3.95 13805

MLB Averages 3.77

</PRE>

Provided by <a href="http://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Baseball-Reference.com</a>: <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberbr01-bat.shtml?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#batting_pitches">View Original Table</a><br>Generated 2/18/2013.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then that is contrary to Showalter's credo; play the best players that give you the greatest opportunity to win. If there is a better option than Roberts you use it. I would think Roberts would expect that and not the "pay respect to the veteran".

He played Roberts 17 games in a row last year while Roberts was playing well below replacement level. He also hit Vlad 4th in '11 and Hardy 2nd last season. Also don't forget how long a rope he gave Gregg in '11.

Buck also said he didn't believe in the save rule when he took over the team. What happened last season? Buck handled Johnson like the save rule was the golden rule.

Do you think that if Castilla outplays Roberts but Roberts doesn't look awful that Castilla is going to be the starter?

Sigh... no I don't. I think Roberts still gets the job. But I don't have as much of an issue with him starting at 2B if he's not the best on the team, over him hitting leadoff when he's not the best leadoff hitter on the team.

He played Roberts 17 games in a row last year while Roberts was playing well below replacement level. He also hit Vlad 4th in '11 and Hardy 2nd last season. Also don't forget how long a rope he gave Gregg in '11.

Buck also said he didn't believe in the save rule when he took over the team. What happened last season? Buck handled Johnson like the save rule was the golden rule.

Frankly, playing BRob for 17 games in a row was the least annoying of the things you listed. You can't always tell if a bad performance over 17 games means a guy can't play, or that he's just on a cold streak. Though I have to say, BRob did not look good except for his debut game. If he looks that bad his spring, he won't be the Opening Day starter.

I have said I do not think Brob can have much left in the tank. And I agree that he will get every opportunity to lose the job. But I think it comes down more to how the O's are doing more than the job he is doing...But will look for intangible reasons for him to play Brob. If we are winning it will matter less if his contributions do not "measure" up. Frankly if we are winning I will be fine with that decision.

I've always understood Roberts' defense to be average to slightly above. If he maintains that, he appears to be the best option for second base and a likely solid upgrade over what we had last year offensively.

I'm also getting the feeling that Casillas is basically gold glove caliber. If the other 8 positions are hitting, BRob better be on. I love defense and pitching and would not have too much of a problem with Casillas playing second.

I just hope Roberts is in much better shape when.OD gets here . Last year he looked frail and it showed when he made contact he wasn't driving the ball at all. It would be great to see BRob put up decent numbers and maybe get our running game going a little. My fingers are crossed.

If the O's are winning, I think Buck gives BRob 2 months and 150 at bats to see what he can do. He will play 4 to 5 games a week. After that Buck will make a decision based on his alternatives.

If the O's are not winning Buck will go with whoever he thinks gives the O's the best chance to win.

Casilla has some defensive range at 2B. But don't confuse that with being a GGer. He was waived for a reason. He is known to lack focus at times which causes defensive lapses. He is also inconsistent at the plate with half of his 6 major league seasons having OBPs under 300 and his career OBP being 305. His biggest asset maybe is ability to backup 2B/SS/3B.

I think Flaherty goes to AAA and at the 2 month mark gets the promotion to starting second baseman for the O's if Brian is not cutting it. Flaherty is likely to challenge for the 2B job until he gets it.

Schoop/Flaherty may be big parts of the O's 2014 infield. We probably see Schoop play for the O's some in September if not sooner.

Buck played Davis for a stretch of 42 G fom late June to mid Aug. where he hit for a .610 OPS. He hit 1.068 from then to the end of the season. Sometimes you just have to stick with a guy. I trust that Buck knows when to hold and when to fold.

Buck tends to always stick with a decision. For longer than we all expect. When a starter is on fumes thru the 6th. When Kevin Gregg is Kevin Gregg. Vlad. Roberts. On and on. He gives a decision a good long time to play out. Better IMO than a constantly changing course.

Buck tends to always stick with a decision. For longer than we all expect. When a starter is on fumes thru the 6th. When Kevin Gregg is Kevin Gregg. Vlad. Roberts. On and on. He gives a decision a good long time to play out. Better IMO than a constantly changing course.

We're lucky then that Garrett Atkins was gone by the time Buck took over (in the same season)!

Archived