I can't believe that Greinke finally said it

paulcoates

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3796/zack-greinke

Zack Greinke presented the Rangers with an offer this winter just before signing with the Dodgers.The exact terms of that proposal are unknown, but it's probably safe to assume that it was worth slightly more than the six-year, $147 million contract that he ultimately signed with Los Angeles. Greinke admitted to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman on Monday that he was looking for the richest possible deal he could find and that other factors were secondary. "I could play for the worst team if they paid the most," said the 29-year-old right-hander.

Feb 25 - 8:19 PM

Source: CBS Sports

Basically admitting to him that the game is only about the money. Tells me the guy doesn't have a lot of love for the game and is strictly a mercenary. That could really come back to bite him.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because money comes first does not mean he doesnt have a love for the game. If that were the case, no MLB players have a love for the game.

Hes just a wackjob, but totally truthful. i cant stand him, but it is refreshing.

Look at the big picture though, a 137mil contract vs. 147mil contract seems like he should lean towards other favtors...but when you sit back and look twice... thats 10 MILLION DOLLARS. That buys a lot of real estate, invests pretty deeply, and covers your whole family for 2 more generations over the other offer. There is life outside of baseball, and in most cases, taking the biggest payday is the smartest choice.

Im tired of people acring like they would do otherwise.

Just because money comes first does not mean he doesnt have a love for the game. If that were the case, no MLB players have a love for the game.

Hes just a wackjob, but totally truthful. i cant stand him, but it is refreshing.

Look at the big picture though, a 137mil contract vs. 147mil contract seems like he should lean towards other favtors...but when you sit back and look twice... thats 10 MILLION DOLLARS. That buys a lot of real estate, invests pretty deeply, and covers your whole family for 2 more generations over the other offer. There is life outside of baseball, and in most cases, taking the biggest payday is the smartest choice.

Im tired of people acring like they would do otherwise.

10 million dollars in a vacuum could set us up, our kids up, and their kids up, and never, ever have to worry about money.

BUT...when you already have 137 million, how many generations are set for life? 10? The 10 million is a non factor!

Don't have any problem with it, but considering the tax rate millionaires pay in CA, I'm not sure more money means more net money. I'm sure Greinke had has advisors looking at it though. In 98% of cases (maybe higher in cases similar to Greinke's) guys are going to take the most money (whether they say it or not), so why should anyone snub their noses at Greinke for being honest about it? Also, how does a losing team become a good team if good players won't play for them?

Jayson Werth said pretty much the same thing, just framed within the context of being a good member of the Union, when he signed with the then terrible Nats.

Maybe the Nats wish they hadn't given Werth all that money at this point, but I suppose he's helped them to some degree by signing with them, even if it's improving the Nats in the credibility department. I know free agents aren't a very good way to improve the team but I didn't take it that well when Beltre's agent supposedly didn't want to even talk with us a couple years back.

Basically admitting to him that the game is only about the money. Tells me the guy doesn't have a lot of love for the game and is strictly a mercenary. That could really come back to bite him.

I don't think this follows. I mean this is a guy that goes on low level scouting trips just for fun and is extremely knowledgeable about advanced statistics.

Greinke is a cypher. To take a single quote from him and try to glean any sort of meaning from it is a mistake. It's just as likely he said it because he had a sudden impulse to say it and wanted, at the time, to rile some people up. Who knows? The guy is totally uninterested in social codes, for better or worse. I personally fine it refreshing.

I don't think most players have this line of thinking, but I'm not completely sure. I would think most guys have a small list of teams they want to play for, and instruct their agents to get the best deal from one of those teams. Even then, I would think there is a favorite or two among even that group of teams.

I don't think most players have this line of thinking, but I'm not completely sure. I would think most guys have a small list of teams they want to play for, and instruct their agents to get the best deal from one of those teams. Even then, I would think there is a favorite or two among even that group of teams.

I agree. I do not think there are many players that just say to their agent, "Get me the most money you can". Money is probably the biggest factor for most players but it isn't the only one.

10 million dollars in a vacuum could set us up, our kids up, and their kids up, and never, ever have to worry about money.

BUT...when you already have 137 million, how many generations are set for life? 10? The 10 million is a non factor!

I completely disagree. 10 million dollars is 10 million dollars, whether you have 130 million more or not. Anyone who treats it differently, likely wont have the other 130million around very long either; in my opinion.

I completely disagree. 10 million dollars is 10 million dollars, whether you have 130 million more or not. Anyone who treats it differently, likely wont have the other 130million around very long either; in my opinion.

Sure, especially when you have no particular allegiance to anyone else. Greinke took a lot of risk turning down huge extension offers from MIL and CA. Nobody would have been crying for him if he hurt his arm and ended up getting a one year deal.

Capitalism baby! I love it. I love it even when I sometimes hate it.

You guys could live without a lot of things but I bet you enjoy your own personal version of "an extra $10 million." It's pretty hilarious how professional athletes more often than anyone else are held to these garbage and often hypocritical standards.

Archived