I can't believe that Greinke finally said it

paulcoates

Capitalism baby! I love it. I love it even when I sometimes hate it.

You guys could live without a lot of things but I bet you enjoy your own personal version of "an extra $10 million." It's pretty hilarious how professional athletes more often than anyone else are held to these garbage and often hypocritical standards.

I do find it amusing that folks are upset when a baseball player makes 20 million a year but no one says a peep about Judge Judy raking in 45 million a year.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former Mets GM Steve Phillips has said many times (on his radio show) "Whenever a player says it's not about the money, he's lying. It's always about the money."

There are a few exceptions (hat's off to Tom Brady - I bet Flacco ain't going to be as kind to us) but, for the most part, money does all the talking. Kudos to Greinke for being honest.

I do find it amusing that folks are upset when a baseball player makes 20 million a year but no one says a peep about Judge Judy raking in 45 million a year.

You can't make a peep if you keep getting shouted down.

SIR, SIR

I DIDN'T ASK YOU WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY SALARY SIR

IT'S A YES OR NO QUESTION, DID YOU STEAL THE PLAINTIFF'S LAWN GNOME OR NOT

I know its the truth but as fans go...........we need the illusion that they give a crap about us. They should be like a good hooker. Fake it........its good for business.

Well, like somebody else said, Geinke isn't known for his social skills. I'm onboard with the others that find brutal honesty refreshing.

I still think it's great. I would much rather read this then the platitudes most athletes offer up.

It's definitely better than the platitudes. It's not better than just being quiet, though.

I mean...my problem isn't with him being honest so much as it is with his actual decision-making process. In other words, what he said doesn't bother me. It's what he believes that's annoying.

WRT honesty, why should athletes be any different than anyone else? When I was younger and switched companies, it was because of the money (or the stock option potential). Now that I'm older and I own several businesses, why do I buy or sell one.....it's because of the money. Everyone knows that and when I admit it, people say it's a good reason. Baseball players should be different because the fan gets an emotional lift out of believing that the player plays for them instead of the money???

WRT honesty, why should athletes be any different than anyone else? When I was younger and switched companies, it was because of the money (or the stock option potential). Now that I'm older and I own several businesses, why do I buy or sell one.....it's because of the money. Everyone knows that and when I admit it, people say it's a good reason. Baseball players should be different because the fan gets an emotional lift out of believing that the player plays for them instead of the money???

It's not about being athletes, it's about having more money than anyone on Earth could possibly need and wanting even more. Nobody likes greed, especially not when it outweighs an athlete's competitiveness.

Once again, the guy is an enigma and taking anything he says at face value is a mistake. His heart may be totally black with greed or it may be totally pure, but it certainly won't be determined by an interview. This isn't an issue of straight talk vs. platitudes, it's an issue of an incomprehensible personality. Even the people close to him are baffled by him.

Great article on Greinke by Posnanski:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2010/12/being-there-with-greinke.html

WRT honesty, why should athletes be any different than anyone else? When I was younger and switched companies, it was because of the money (or the stock option potential). Now that I'm older and I own several businesses, why do I buy or sell one.....it's because of the money. Everyone knows that and when I admit it, people say it's a good reason. ?

The problem with this analogy is that most people think that a player should view their team as a family more than an employer/business. It's easy to blur the lines.

Baseball players should be different because the fan gets an emotional lift out of believing that the player plays for them instead of the money??

You're not that far off I think.

It's not about being athletes, it's about having more money than anyone on Earth could possibly need and wanting even more. Nobody likes greed, especially not when it outweighs an athlete's competitiveness.

Wanting and expecting more moneyis what makes some of these guys tick IMO. This guy was the sixth overall pick in the draft so he started his career by making more money than most of the guys around him. Why should'nt he expect to be able to earn more if he's been able to do it through most of his career? Also, I really don't see where his perceived greed outweigh's Greinke's in this case. After all, he signed with the Dodgers. The expectations are pretty high considering their payroll. I think you might be able to question his competitive nature if he elected to hang out in Houston for the next four or five years for several million more.

I completely disagree. 10 million dollars is 10 million dollars, whether you have 130 million more or not. Anyone who treats it differently, likely wont have the other 130million around very long either; in my opinion.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with his comments. If money is THE only factor, more power to him. It IS a lot of money.

But on the other hand, you have Joe Flacco. If he had a choice to stay with the Super Bowl champion Ravens for 6 years, 120 million dollars, or get an offer from Cleveland for 6 years, 130 million dollars, I would think you'd want to stay with the better team who gave you a better chance to succeed, win, and set yourself up for another good contract when this one is over. OR...they might say screw it and take the more money. If it were me, I'd stay where I am comfortable, and I'd find some way to live off of 120 million bucks!

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with his comments. If money is THE only factor, more power to him. It IS a lot of money.

But on the other hand, you have Joe Flacco. If he had a choice to stay with the Super Bowl champion Ravens for 6 years, 120 million dollars, or get an offer from Cleveland for 6 years, 130 million dollars, I would think you'd want to stay with the better team who gave you a better chance to succeed, win, and set yourself up for another good contract when this one is over. OR...they might say screw it and take the more money. If it were me, I'd stay where I am comfortable, and I'd find some way to live off of 120 million bucks!

I think one especially important factor is the injury and decline of pitchers. It's very unusual for a guy to get out of a 6-year deal and be in line for another large contract.

For example, it looks like that gamble Cliff Lee took is not going to pay off, I think.

Archived