Troy Patton Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's because the starter was able to go 6 innings. See, now if tomorrow Chen implodes and goes 3 innings, you have MacFarland and Tommy available, whereas you might only have one of them available if you burn a long reliever in a blowout.

Additionally, there's 4 lefties in the pen right now, so using one to the point of having him not be available tomorrow doesn't matter as much.

Also, that's a big game to win and why take chances even in a blowout.

There's no reason we need to have TWO long relievers available on the day the our most consistent starting pitcher thus far this year is pitching. Or any game, for that matter. Not to mention, we also have Britton out there. We have three pitchers tomorrow in the pen who could conceivably pitch the whole game at 3 innings apiece and be completely fine. And we needed to extend Patton in a blowout in order to make that happen?

Edit: Worrying about burning our long relievers seems completely backward to me. Shouldn't we be worried about burning our best relievers, in case we are winning tomorrow?

There's no reason we need to have TWO long relievers available on the day the our most consistent starting pitcher thus far this year is pitching. Or any game, for that matter. Not to mention, we also have Britton out there. We have three pitchers tomorrow in the pen who could conceivably pitch the whole game at 3 innings apiece and be completely fine. And we needed to extend Patton in a blowout in order to make that happen?

He went two innings. I don't want Patton to become a guy that is only good for one inning at a time. Until the starters can begin going longer then six innings the relievers will have to pick up the slack.

He went two innings. I don't want Patton to become a guy that is only good for one inning at a time. Until the starters can begin going longer then six innings the relievers will have to pick up the slack.

I posted another thread about his, but there's no reason for Patton to be picking up the slack in a game that we're crushing the other team. We can find plenty of innings to pitch him multiple inning close games.

I posted another thread about his, but there's no reason for Patton to be picking up the slack in a game that we're crushing the other team. We can find plenty of innings to pitch him multiple inning close games.

The starters are going 6 or less consistently, those innings have to come from somewhere. I don't see any reason why Patton shouldn't have been the one to do it last night. Buck tried to get JJ to go two the day after going one and he is the closer.

Now if Buck had left Patton out there for three-four innings after pitching the day before I would agree with you.

The starters are going 6 or less consistently, those innings have to come from somewhere. I don't see any reason why Patton shouldn't have been the one to do it last night. Buck tried to get JJ to go two the day after going one and he is the closer.

Now if Buck had left Patton out there for three-four innings after pitching the day before I would agree with you.

Mop up innings shouldn't come from your fourth or even fifth best reliever, IMO. You want those guys ready for the close games and over the long haul throughout the season. Last night we had Macfarland, Hunter, and Britton out there, all available. Macfarland eventually pitched anyway.

When Patton came in with a 6-run lead in the 7th inning, I was kinda ok with that. You don't want a big inning to put you in an all-hands-on-deck situation with a lot of outs left to get. Don't want a meltdown from an inferior reliever there to give the A's life again. But after we scored 2 more and had a 8 run lead, with only two innings to go, that's mop up time. Buck knew TJ was going to pitch in that game anyway. So why have Patton throw another inning there? Completely befuddling.

Archived