Zach Britton Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bottom line is that neither Britton nor Arrieta should be considered for a ML spot until they show at least a few months of sustained success in the minors.

Arrieta actually did pitch well in Norfolk before getting hurt. Assuming he heals quickly, I think there's a lot more reason to be optimistic about Arrieta than Britton.

Even though Britton is pitching for Norfolk today, I think his has certainly got something to do with the ML team. He really looks good. He and Griffin must have tweaked his mechanics. Not as stiff an upright and all arm like before. He looks much more fluid and the stuff and COMMAND look light years better today. Through 3 innings, 2 hits no walks, 2 K's and only 35 pitches. I'm encouraged by what I see.

That's excellent news indeed.

If Britton could come up and be 2/3rds the pitcher Tillman was for us last year that would go a long way to alleviating what ails this team

Britton stepped in last year and gave us 4-5 very good consecutive starts during one stretch. We could really use that now and hes' probably more capable of doing it than Jurjjens or Garcia.

I totally agree with that.

Honestly based on what I have seen of Jurjjens and Garcia I would almost rather see 2 of Johnson, Arrieta, Britton or Matusz in the rotation and just have it out, sink or swim, do or die. I just don't see how Jurjjens or Garcia have any upside. Least with those 4 guys I can see a scenario were maybe one of them can raise their performance level to that of a 4/5 starter.

I totally agree with that.

Honestly based on what I have seen of Jurjjens and Garcia I would almost rather see 2 of Johnson, Arrieta, Britton or Matusz in the rotation and just have it out, sink or swim, do or die. I just don't see how Jurjjens or Garcia have any upside. Least with those 4 guys I can see a scenario were maybe one of them can raise their performance level to that of a 4/5 starter.

This is what I was saying yesterday. At least Jurrjens does have some upside though. Much more than Garcia.

Britton got roughed up a bit in the 6th. Aided by a horrible throwing error by Brandon Wood (a.k.a: the second coming). Travvon Robinson made a real nice catch in deep CF to end the threat. 2-1 Norfolk.

Archived