Zach Britton Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another starter who probably winds up being a reliever, IMO.

Well, Britton certainly could end up in that role and could be very valuable in the role with his ability to get left-handers out (.191 vs LH) along with his ability to get ground balls (4.00 GO/AO). As always though, its hard to move a guy to the pen until you think he's not going to make it as a starters, and I'm not ready to make that call yet. Take away three starts in the beginning of May where he allowed 15 runs (12 earned) on 27 hits and five walks over 15.2 IP, and he's pitched very well as a starter in AAA.

I believe he would be much better than Troy Patton in the pen, but I still see Zach playing a role in the Orioles rotation this year.

Well, Britton certainly could end up in that role and could be very valuable in the role with his ability to get left-handers out (.191 vs LH) along with his ability to get ground balls (4.00 GO/AO). As always though, its hard to move a guy to the pen until you think he's not going to make it as a starters, and I'm not ready to make that call yet. Take away three starts in the beginning of May where he allowed 15 runs (12 earned) on 27 hits and five walks over 15.2 IP, and he's pitched very well as a starter in AAA.

I believe he would be much better than Troy Patton in the pen, but I still see Zach playing a role in the Orioles rotation this year.

:agree:

Some of the other old timers like me (40+) may remember the days when young pitchers who came up from AAA were brought up to the O's and started in long relief. Now it seems they get called up, fail, and end up in the bullpen or going back to AAA (or both). I would love to see Zach in the pen- he can be unhittable and could go 3 innings easy. Let guys like Zach figure out the major league hitters in long relief first- it's a much easier transition if they are needed to start later on, and their presence would certainly help the pen stay fresh. Other than Steve Johnson (who may not stay up for long), there isn't anyone who regularly goes 2+ innings and they need more guys like that.

They seem to do quite a bit of stories on Orioles players. Is someone over there a Baltimore guy I wonder?
I like the line,"...the sinker that made Britton a household name...."

Who knew Zach was so popular?

Yeah right! I'm guessing the writer of this piece, Mark Smith, must be the resident Oriole fan over at that place. I remember Britton did have a little bit of buzz surrounding him when he came out of the gate so fast his rookie season but yeah, as one commenter mentioned that "household" is clearly the Britton household. :D

Zachary gave up a solo home run in the 6th inning.

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. AAA-Indianapolis, 6/19)

IP:. 6

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 2

SO: 5

Pitches: 100 (58 Strikes, 42 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.28 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 (61 Strikes, 51 Balls)

22 (13 Strikes, 91 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

16 (61 Strikes, 10 Balls)

17 (11 Strikes, 61 Balls)

21 (13 Strikes, 81 Balls)

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. TIGERS, 6/18)

IP:. 5.33

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 3

SO: 1

Pitches: 82 (47 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.56

PITCHES BY INNING

11 (61 Strikes, 51 Balls)

23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls)

61 (51 Strikes, 11 Balls)

21 (11 Strikes, 10 Balls)

21 (12 Strikes, 91 Balls)

11 (51 Strikes, 61 Balls) *

* Britton retired 1 batter before departing in the 6th inning.

Wasn't stellar, but wasn't too bad. Holding the Tigers to 1 run is pretty damn good. Helps to have the reincarnation of Brooks behind him (yeah, I went there. When he dove towards the line, it was very Brooks-esque.) I'd like to see Britton again, as opposed to Garcia.

Archived