Zach Britton Today, 2013

OFFNY

Do you at least think he's on the right track? He's getting an awful lot of grounders. Good sign, no?

Maybe. I know people tend to value high GB%, but the data is much less certain. Basically there's no correlation between GB% and FIP or ERA or overall value. Maybe there is some advantage to having a GB pitcher if your park is homer-prone and your infield defense is very good. But it seems that overall pitching skill is far more important than a groundball or flyball tendency.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I meant by good sign, is that being a groundball pitcher was what Britton was known for coming up, not necessarily that a groundball pitcher is better than a flyball pitcher. I watched one inning of the game, the 6th which was his last, and almost every pitch was at the knees or lower. He didn't get some calls on some back door sliders but some hitters also went out of the zone on some of the low pitches. He looked like he was throwing well.

What I'm saying is that being a groundball pitcher doesn't make up for a lack of command, or more walks than Ks. He'll have to do better than his first few starts.

I just noticed he not only has walked 7 in 13+ innings, but also hit a batter and threw four wild pitches. I think he has some things to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. Angels, 4/29) .*

IP:. 0

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 000 (00 Strikes, 00 Balls)

2013 ERA: 0.00

* Britton's 2013 Major League Season Debut

PITCHES BY INNING:

00 (00 Strikes, 00 Balls)

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. Mariners, 4/29) .*

IP:. 6

H:o 10

R:O 6

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 101 (60 Strikes, 41 Balls)

2013 ERA: 9.00

* Britton's 2013 Major League Season Debut

PITCHES BY INNING:

17 (10 Strikes)

91 (41 Strikes)

15 (12 Strikes)

34 (16 Strikes)

91 (71 Strikes)

17 (11 Strikes)

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. AAA-Syracuse, 5/04)

IP:o 6 - Plus

H:o. 10 (4 Infield Singles, 3 Additional Singles, 3 Doubles)

R:.O 5

ER:) 3

BB:. 1

SO:. 4

Pitches: 94 (66 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.75 (AAA-Norfolk)

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. AAA-Buffalo, 5/09)

IP:o 4.33

H:o. 5

R:.O 3

BB:. 4

SO:. 6

Pitches: 96 (54 Strikes, 42 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.38 (AAA-Norfolk)

Tides Knock off Buffalo to Wrap up Series Win

Norfolk Improves to 10-0 in Series Finales

(By Ian Locke)

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130509&content_id=47072802&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t568

Looking more and more like a bullpen candidate for 2014. With his breaking pitch and able to let loose for a couple of innings, he could be pretty good in that role. He could go with the four seamer which he seems to be able to control better. He's really a two pitch pitcher anyway.

How sad the cavalry all broke down except Tillman (who wasn't from our org) and ended up in the bullpen. No organization screws up arms like we do, frustrating.

Just one start though. You hope he is working on stuff. How can Matusz and Britton look so dominating and then, poof! Nothing. Jake has been the same pitcher with the same inconsistency IMO. Nothing crazy there.

Looking more and more like a bullpen candidate for 2014. With his breaking pitch and able to let loose for a couple of innings, he could be pretty good in that role. He could go with the four seamer which he seems to be able to control better. He's really a two pitch pitcher anyway.

I think Britton will be traded before next year. Can't risk keeping him with no options. The bullpen as constructed is relatively set for a few years barring major injuries or trades and with Tillman also out of options and other starters eyeing the bigs, I think the writing is on the wall.

ZACH BRITTON O (vs. AAA-Lehigh Valley, 5/14)

IP:. 5.33

H:o 12

R:O 7

ER:)6

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 96 (65 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.60 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (91 Strikes)

22 (15 Strikes)

23 (16 Strikes)

91 (81 Strikes)

21 (14 Strikes)

81 (31 Strikes) *

* Britton retired 1 batter in the 6th inning before departing.

Archived