Casilla can fly (Can't bunt)

Frobby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except Izturis hardly ever struck out.

Indeed. One of the hardest to strike out. In fact I think for a year or two there, he was THE hardest to strike out.

I always thought that was funny....the guy didn't make many outs by striking out, he certainly didn't get a lot of hits...sooooo, what happened?

He's fast but I don't think he's a top of the charts speed guy. He has good quickness and above average speed.

Agreed. I guess it's all relative with the O's overall tendency to field a primarily lead-footed team. For us, any guy who can swipe 20 bags a year looks like Usain Bolt.

This guy has huge flaws but he can flat out fly. He may be the fastest guy I've seen on the bases for the O's since Corey Patterson. Buck's going to find ways to use that.

I am sure he will. Many have flaws but can really contribute to the team.

Yes let him PR when we need a base runner... But please get his bat out of the lineup.... I am getting Izturis flashbacks!
Indeed. One of the hardest to strike out. In fact I think for a year or two there, he was THE hardest to strike out.

I always thought that was funny....the guy didn't make many outs by striking out, he certainly didn't get a lot of hits...sooooo, what happened?

You don't remember the Izturis shift? 7 infielders and 0 outfielders.

Izturis has a career BABIP of .278, which is about 20 points lower than average. And his HR/FB rate is microscopic. He hit the ball as softly as any modern baseball player.

Casilla has had a few respectable years with the stick -- .707 OPS in 2008, .726 in 2010, .691 in 2011. He's also had some really horrible years -- .516 in 207, .538 in 2009, .603 last year. I totally understand the Izzy comparisons, but at least with Casilla there's some chance he could be respectable with the bat.

Back to my point, I was impressed with how easily Casilla beat out the Red Sox attempt to turn a DP on a grounder he hit -- he was 10 feet past 1B by the time the relay throw arrived. Then when the Sox pitcher bounced one, he got to 2B so fast that he almost decided to try for 3B.

I have to admit, I like Casilla more than most people here. Buck's only played him in five games so far, but he has been pretty exciting IMO. In the last game, he stretched a single into a double on a soft liner in the gap that was fielded cleanly by Jennings. Nobody else on the team could have done it. I'd like to see him playing a bit more often while BRob is out.

Casilla's not even a good enough hitter to have an excuse, but I think even the best hitters in the game should be able to bunt at any given moment...this is the reason we almost never see squeeze plays happen, because the world's greatest players cannot bunt to save their life...

Unless the ball is literally not within your wing span, you should never not make contact with a ball when asked to bunt in a squeeze situation...if you practice bunting enough, you can get the bat on any ball no matter how fast it moves or how much it breaks...

Think about it this way, if you are at all a decent baseball player, do you believe that anyone could throw a ball within your reach that moves so fast or so much that you couldn't catch it or at least get a glove on it? I hope the answer is "no"...because it should be...

It's no different with a bat, as long as you spend a little time working on it...if I were Buck, I'd sit Casilla down for a minimum of two games and make sure he knows why...

Archived