Casilla can fly (Can't bunt)

Frobby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's no different with a bat, as long as you spend a little time working on it...if I were Buck, I'd sit Casilla down for a minimum of two games and make sure he knows why...

I think it's silly to bench a player for making a physical error. Buck's not a tyrant, nor should he be.

That said, he may well sit Casilla for the next two games...but that's because the O's are facing two right-handed pitchers in the next two games.

This guy has huge flaws but he can flat out fly. He may be the fastest guy I've seen on the bases for the O's since Corey Patterson. Buck's going to find ways to use that.

Like bunting? He better be able to fly when he heads back into the clubhouse because Buck is going to come after him...you just cannot be a big leaguer and miss bunting a ball in a squeeze situation...unacceptable...

I think it's silly to bench a player for making a physical error. Buck's not a tyrant, nor should he be.

That said, he may well sit Casilla for the next two games...but that's because the O's are facing two right-handed pitchers in the next two games.

It's not really a physical mistake...it is not practicing something that should be routine...kinda like when basketball coaches make their team run for missing free throws...if you practice enough, you should be able to perform at a certain minimum standard regardless of the circumstances...many baseball coaches hold the minimum standard at putting the ball into play, others would set the bar lower at foul tipping the ball...

I cannot think of a single baseball coach beyond little league that I have ever had that wouldn't have words with him after the game. If you can't get the bat on the ball, you shouldn't be playing at this level...or really at anything beyond high school...but I know that baseball isn't like that anymore, guys get praised for homeruns and people overlook these things nowadays...

It's just a pet peeve of mine...knowing that I would have gotten the job done in that situation because I spent the time to make sure of it...I am no big leaguer, but I could get that bunt down, guaranteed...

Buck did make that statement indeed. While the squeeze play is stressful, Casilla needs to put the bat on the ball in that situation. Obviously, the execution was poor, though I'm sure he can bunt. While I agree with the OP that all major leaguers should know how to bunt, I disagree that Casilla should be benched for his failure to lay down the bunt. I'm sure no one felt worse than he did when the runner on third was nailed.

It's not really a physical mistake...it is not practicing something that should be routine...kinda like when basketball coaches make their team run for missing free throws...if you practice enough, you should be able to perform at a certain minimum standard regardless of the circumstances...many baseball coaches hold the minimum standard at putting the ball into play, others would set the bar lower at foul tipping the ball...

Who says he hasn't practiced it? Where are you coming up with this?

If a player makes a defensive error, is it because he didn't practice fielding? If a pitcher gives up a homerun, is it because he didn't practice pitching?

Sometimes, no matter how well prepared you are, you don't execute a play. That's called baseball.

Casilla is probably the best bunter on the team. Bunting isn't as easy as it looks to arm chair small ballers. That pitch looked hard to get to to me. Down and away.

Exactly. How can some of you expect perfection with every aspect of the game? Even the best bunters are going to pop into outs or miss the occassional pitch. It was unfortunate that the squeeze wasn't executed, but to even mention the notion of sitting down Casilla is reactionary, myopic and simply incorrect.

Casilla is probably the best bunter on the team. Bunting isn't as easy as it looks to arm chair small ballers. That pitch looked hard to get to to me. Down and away.

Sorry, I just can't see it this way...and I played at a pretty high level...the best bunter on today's MLB rosters isn't saying much...the only time these guys practice is on two or three pitches to start off their BP session...it takes more than that.

Who says he hasn't practiced it? Where are you coming up with this?

If a player makes a defensive error, is it because he didn't practice fielding? If a pitcher gives up a homerun, is it because he didn't practice pitching?

Sometimes, no matter how well prepared you are, you don't execute a play. That's called baseball.

And pretty much the rest of life, as well. ;)

Like bunting? He better be able to fly when he heads back into the clubhouse because Buck is going to come after him...you just cannot be a big leaguer and miss bunting a ball in a squeeze situation...unacceptable...

Yeah it was disappointing. Good thing we had a 2-run lead. But I still like Casilla.

Sorry, I just can't see it this way...and I played at a pretty high level...the best bunter on today's MLB rosters isn't saying much...the only time these guys practice is on two or three pitches to start off their BP session...it takes more than that.

Ask A.J. Burnett how much fun it is to practice bunting.

You having played at a pretty high level, would you be able to bunt Strops tailing 98mph fastballs?

He messed up, move on. I doubt there are too many other guys on this team that they would have tried to squeeze with. I understand the frustration of not executing, but some times people just dont execute no matter how much you practice.

Archived