Casilla can fly (Can't bunt)

Frobby

I hate the bunt and I think Buck uses it way too often.
Look at it this way. If Casilla gets the bunt down we score a run and have runners on 2B and 3B. He has a 56% chance to do that. If he doesn't there's a 73% chance he makes and out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back in the day I recall Paul Blair as reputably being one of the best bunters in the league. His career success percentage on sac bunts .... 57%.

First, this was not a sac bunt. Different standards are held for a suicide bunt.

Second, you do realize the this stat doesn't mean he whiffed on the ball 43% of the time, right? The only stat that would be applicable is what percentage of the time did Blair whiff on the ball during a suicide bunt attempt...which wasn't likely a stat that was kept...

Here's a little league description of the suicide squeeze play...how many of you think Casilla did whatever it took to get the bat on the ball in some way?

"Baseball Practice Drills - The Bunter:

(1.) The absolute number one issue on the bunter’s mind is to make contact with the ball no matter what it takes! Doesn’t matter if the pitch is a strike or ball, if you bunt it fair or foul, if you miss the ball the runner is all but out 99% of the time.

Sometimes a pitcher has seen the runner attempting to steal, most likely because either the runner left a split second too soon, pitcher was lucky, or had excellent peripheral vision, allowing him to throw a “miniature pitch out” where the batter literally threw their bat at pitch in order to make contact. There was no attempt to properly lay down a bunt … only to protect the runner from running into a sure out. (2.) Disguise your intention to bunt till the last second, but once the pitcher is well into his wind-up, or comes home from the stretch, immediately get into good bunting position. Everyone is committed at this point and there’s no turning back.

(a.) An excellent rule of thumb for timing your move into a bunting position is when the pitcher reaches his release point.

(3.) Square around, knees slightly bent, slide your hand up the barrel of the bat stopping at @ the trademark, making sure your fingers are Not wrapped around the bat, but rather holding it gently from behind.----Baseball Practice Drills

(4.) Be sure your bat is in Fair Territory when making contact. If your bat is not in fair territory you run the risk, @ 80%, that the ball will be bunted foul. Although bunting foul saves the runner from being put out, you have failed to score the run.

(5.) As soon as you make contact with ball, begin your run to first base. There’s no need to hesitate to see where the ball went, it’s either a good bunt and the runner will easily score, or there will be a play at the plate and you don’t want to be there if it happens, because it’ll quickly get crowded and you’d run the risk of being called for interference."

Here's a little league description of the suicide squeeze play...how many of you think Casilla did whatever it took to get the bat on the ball in some way?

You know what the REAL number one issue on the batters mind is? It's getting a ball thrown at his face. That's something they don't really have to think about in practice, especially since you say they 'only' practice it a couple times before BP. I suppose you hangout in the hitting tunnels and watch what they do there too. Also, did you give consideration that the squeeze attempt yesterday may have actually BEEN practice? You generally don't squeeze up 2 runs...

First, this was not a sac bunt. Different standards are held for a suicide bunt.

that

Second, you do realize the this stat doesn't mean he whiffed on the ball 43% of the time, right? The only stat that would be applicable is what percentage of the time did Blair whiff on the ball during a suicide bunt attempt...which wasn't likely a stat that was kept...

The stat shows that's it's not as easy as you think it is to execute a bunt (your original point) and it includes bunts attempts that where whiffed on, popped up and/or hit directly back to a defender. It's understandable that you meant to say "you can't stand major leaguers who can't suicide squeeze bunt a baseball but don't mind batters that otherwise can't bunt". I can see how you could make that mistake.

The stat shows that's it's not as easy as you think it is to execute a bunt (your original point) and it includes bunts attempts that where whiffed on, popped up and/or hit directly back to a defender. It's understandable that you meant to say "you can't stand major leaguers who can't suicide squeeze bunt a baseball but don't mind batters that otherwise can't bunt". I can see how you could make that mistake.

You're helping me make my point. I don't care if a guy bunts and it doesn't work out. What I care about is that you get the bat on the ball in a suicide squeeze situation no matter what it takes...

And popped up, right to a defender, great play by the pitcher to turn and get the lead runner...all not what I am concerned about...that's why that stat doesn't apply here...

Bottom line, you gotta get the bat on the ball in that situation. You won't change my mind. I hope you can handle that.

You're helping me make my point. I don't care if a guy bunts and it doesn't work out. What I care about is that you get the bat on the ball in a suicide squeeze situation no matter what it takes...

And popped up, right to a defender, great play by the pitcher to turn and get the lead runner...all not what I am concerned about...that's why that stat doesn't apply here...

Bottom line, you gotta get the bat on the ball in that situation. You won't change my mind. I hope you can handle that.

Bunting is hard enough, If they're not good bunters then they're not going to be good candidates to be a good suicide squeeze bunter. Not really that hard to understand. Everybody's upset that he missed the bunt. Most can handle it. Maybe you're the one that needs some reflection.

Bunting is hard enough, If they're not good bunters then they're not going to be good candidates to be a good suicide squeeze bunter. Not really that hard to understand. Everybody's upset that he missed the bunt. Most can handle it. Maybe you're the one that needs some reflection.

No, I'm good. Thanks for telling me I'm wrong. I'll make a note of that and next time consider it before forming an opinion.

I tried to put this in the other Casilla bunting thread, but couldn't find it.

Boy, Casilla looked terrible on that sacrifice bunt attempt last night. They showed Buck in the dugout during that at bat and he looked very confused and a little pissed. I thought the other bunting thread was a bit hyperbole, but the guy looked really bad last night.

Archived