Casilla can fly (Can't bunt)

Frobby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck did make that statement indeed. While the squeeze play is stressful, Casilla needs to put the bat on the ball in that situation. Obviously, the execution was poor, though I'm sure he can bunt. While I agree with the OP that all major leaguers should know how to bunt, I disagree that Casilla should be benched for his failure to lay down the bunt. I'm sure no one felt worse than he did when the runner on third was nailed.

Indeed. As was evidenced by him smashing his bat into the ground after he whiffed.

Who says he hasn't practiced it? Where are you coming up with this?

If a player makes a defensive error, is it because he didn't practice fielding? If a pitcher gives up a homerun, is it because he didn't practice pitching?

Sometimes, no matter how well prepared you are, you don't execute a play. That's called baseball.

I don't know how much you played ball or at what level, but where I come from, it's always been "if you didn't get it down, then you didn't practice it enough." I watched some of the best players I ever played with get sat down for not getting a bunt down, and anytime someone tried to make an excuse, it was never tolerated well...and that's coming from 5+ entirely different teams and coaching staffs...

Fielding, throwing, hitting, etc. - those are much more difficult tasks and exceptionally more complicated...three things that are never tolerated and excused at a high level are stupid base running mistakes, not knowing the situation (how many outs, where to throw the ball), and not getting the ball down when asked to bunt (let alone make contact)...

Exactly. How can some of you expect perfection with every aspect of the game? Even the best bunters are going to pop into outs or miss the occassional pitch. It was unfortunate that the squeeze wasn't executed, but to even mention the notion of sitting down Casilla is reactionary, myopic and simply incorrect.

Perfection? Please tell me what aspects of the game Casilla has perfected, then maybe I'll tolerate him messing up a basic fundamental of the game...

I have never seen an exceptional bunter miss a pitch that wasn't bouncing in the dirt...and I've even seen guys get ones that did bounce in the dirt...maybe you have a different standard for "exceptional bunter" than I do...I don't know.

Now, pop one up? Sure, that's still worthy of a little heat from the coach (especially in a squeeze situation), but much more reasonable...

I just hope someone asks Buck about it in the post-game...

You can't sit Casilla because of this. You'll just be rewarding the other team with Flaherty.

If Casilla cannot bunt, then how is he much better than Flaherty...I would prefer Flaherty at this point...at least until Casilla got the message...but these are big leaguers, so he wouldn't spend the time off bunting in the cage anyway...

Indeed. As was evidenced by him smashing his bat into the ground after he whiffed.

So him feeling bad excuses him? Not with me it doesn't...that doesn't even make sense...if he didn't feel bad about it, then I'd send him down instead of just benching him...that's just ridiculous...

You having played at a pretty high level, would you be able to bunt Strops tailing 98mph fastballs?

He messed up, move on. I doubt there are too many other guys on this team that they would have tried to squeeze with. I understand the frustration of not executing, but some times people just dont execute no matter how much you practice.

I could definitely get the bat to touch the ball, and likely bunt successfully...I played with and against three current MLB players, two of which that are pitchers...bunting is an equalizer, you can bunt anything that is within reach with enough practice...

Let me put out there, I am not sure if one of them is still playing...is Steve Schmoll still playing somewhere?

I could definitely get the bat to touch the ball, and likely bunt successfully...I played with and against three current MLB players, two of which that are pitchers...bunting is an equalizer, you can bunt anything that is within reach with enough practice...

Let me put out there, I am not sure if one of them is still playing...is Steve Schmoll still playing somewhere?

Not unless it is 2008.

I don't know how much you played ball or at what level, but where I come from, it's always been "if you didn't get it down, then you didn't practice it enough." I watched some of the best players I ever played with get sat down for not getting a bunt down, and anytime someone tried to make an excuse, it was never tolerated well...and that's coming from 5+ entirely different teams and coaching staffs...

Fielding, throwing, hitting, etc. - those are much more difficult tasks and exceptionally more complicated...three things that are never tolerated and excused at a high level are stupid base running mistakes, not knowing the situation (how many outs, where to throw the ball), and not getting the ball down when asked to bunt (let alone make contact)...

Perfection? Please tell me what aspects of the game Casilla has perfected, then maybe I'll tolerate him messing up a basic fundamental of the game...

I have never seen an exceptional bunter miss a pitch that wasn't bouncing in the dirt...and I've even seen guys get ones that did bounce in the dirt...maybe you have a different standard for "exceptional bunter" than I do...I don't know.

Now, pop one up? Sure, that's still worthy of a little heat from the coach (especially in a squeeze situation), but much more reasonable...

I just hope someone asks Buck about it in the post-game...

Whoa, easy there bud. Don't go putting words into my mouth. I'm simply commenting on how perfection in any aspect of the game is not attainable. I said NOTHING about any player AT ALL have mastered or perfected anything.

Casilla missed a bunt. Big deal. It's going to happen. You're really blowing this entire thing out of proportion.

Having high expectations for players is fine, but wanting someone held out for a couple games after not executing properly is balderdash. Should we have sat Jones after the missed pop-up against the Twins? Maybe the next time JJ blows a save because he failed to execute a breaking ball we should not allow him to close for the next few games. Silly.

Whoa, easy there bud. Don't go putting words into my mouth. I'm simply commenting on how perfection in any aspect of the game is not attainable. I said NOTHING about any player AT ALL have mastered or perfected anything.

Casilla missed a bunt. Big deal. It's going to happen. You're really blowing this entire thing out of proportion.

Having high expectations for players is fine, but wanting someone held out for a couple games after not executing properly is balderdash. Should we have sat Jones after the missed pop-up against the Twins? Maybe the next time JJ blows a save because he failed to execute a breaking ball we should not allow him to close for the next few games. Silly.

You said "perfection in every aspect of the game", not me...

And you just don't get it...your example isn't remotely the same thing. But it's OK, we don't have to agree.

Casilla's not even a good enough hitter to have an excuse, but I think even the best hitters in the game should be able to bunt at any given moment...this is the reason we almost never see squeeze plays happen, because the world's greatest players cannot bunt to save their life...

Unless the ball is literally not within your wing span, you should never not make contact with a ball when asked to bunt in a squeeze situation...if you practice bunting enough, you can get the bat on any ball no matter how fast it moves or how much it breaks...

Think about it this way, if you are at all a decent baseball player, do you believe that anyone could throw a ball within your reach that moves so fast or so much that you couldn't catch it or at least get a glove on it? I hope the answer is "no"...because it should be...

It's no different with a bat, as long as you spend a little time working on it...if I were Buck, I'd sit Casilla down for a minimum of two games and make sure he knows why...

Look I don't necessarily disagree with you even though I'm willing to give Casilla the benefit of the doubt a little because those pitches seemed to have a mind of their own. But this is a bit of hyperbole because clearly catching a baseball is not the same thing as hitting or bunting. Not everyone can hit for a reason...it's hard, the hardest thing in baseball.

My bigger concern from this game is with 1 out and a man on 1B and 3B and a full count, the batter was struck out and Weiters was unable to make a throw to 2B to try to get Kemp because no one was covering. Kemp then sees no one covering and stops to look at what happened at the at bat, sees he had struck out and then runs again with no throw. Kemp was hung out to dry and JJ and Casilla were both a good 10 feet from the bag. Now it may have been planned to hold your position and not throw because of the danger of throwing it away and the 3B guy scores, but I am not possitive. Should be scored as a defensive in difference because no one showed up to cover second.

Sorry, I just can't see it this way...and I played at a pretty high level...the best bunter on today's MLB rosters isn't saying much...the only time these guys practice is on two or three pitches to start off their BP session...it takes more than that.

Following your "logic," a really smart manager would know his players can't bunt and therefore wouldn't ask them to try. Just sayin'........

In the most basic of terms.... bunting is SUPER HARD. 90MPH plus with all sorts of dipsy-doo. These guys are the best in the world and if they can't do it(as a group) than it must be next to impossible to pull off. There were certain things that I could do on a lacrosse field that others couldn't.... yet I had limitations...... as do these guys.

It is just so easy to say... "they are pros, they should be able to bunt" well the pitcher has something to say about it also.

Archived