Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

You sure that's the announced attendance? I'd have guessed much better than that just eyeballing it.

Edit: 14,670 according to Roch. Mildly disappointing but 3,000 or so more than comparable games last April.

I was going to say, there should have been a decent walkup crowd too. It was a nice warm night for April. Still is after midnight.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People with kids just cannot get to these weeknight games very easily. We bought two 13 game season plans this year. The first game is tonight. And yet I have already had to trade them in for a weekend game in June because one of my girls has a school event.

Its easy to sit back and criticize people for not going to the games, but there are many, MANY valid reasons for it, especially for those of us with other responsibilities than just our own entertainment on any given night.

People with kids just cannot get to these weeknight games very easily. We bought two 13 game season plans this year. The first game is tonight. And yet I have already had to trade them in for a weekend game in June because one of my girls has a school event.

Its easy to sit back and criticize people for not going to the games, but there are many, MANY valid reasons for it, especially for those of us with other responsibilities than just our own entertainment on any given night.

Who is criticizing anyone? But here's a simple observation: people had kids and obligations 10 years ago, too, yet the team sold a lot more tickets for these midweek April games.

Of the 15 MLB stadiums, the Orioles did not rank high last night

April 16th, 201335,898 - Dodger Stadium34,107 - Yankee Stadium29,344 - Wrigley Field29,075 - Miller Park26,400 - Turner Field23,299 - Target Field21,510 - Coors Field20,239 - Coors Field (double header)16,200 - Marlins Park16,131 - Rogers Centre14,670 - Camden Yards12,379 - Safeco Field11,038 - Oakland Coliseum9,143 - Progressive FieldRained out - PNC ParkSuspended - Great American Ballpark

You know it's bad when the Marlins are outdrawing you.

Let the excuses begin. So far we've had:

It's Tampa; nobody wants to see them.

April games on Tuesday are hard sells.

It's a school night.

Fenway and Yankee Stadium are fairly empty this time of the year. (BTW, 34,000 at Yankee Stadium last night)

Events in Boston kept the fans away.

Who is criticizing anyone? But here's a simple observation: people had kids and obligations 10 years ago, too, yet the team sold a lot more tickets for these midweek April games.

Here's a Friday night box score from April 18, 2003 against the same team. Attendance 19,545 for a FRIDAY night. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200304180.shtml

Let the excuses begin. So far we've had:

It's Tampa; nobody wants to see them.

April games on Tuesday are hard sells.

It's a school night.

Fenway and Yankee Stadium are fairly empty this time of the year. (BTW, 34,000 at Yankee Stadium last night)

Events in Boston kept the fans away.

Okay, here's MY opinion on attendance....who gives a flying nun? Every year people complain about attendance, and every year it becomes a big deal. I don't care why people aren't going to every game. I'll get to my 15 games and year, and truthfully, I hope that I can run to the restroom and not miss half an inning due to long lines!

Unless the people complaining go to all 81 homes games, then I guess on any given night, that person is also part of the problem! See how ludicrous that sounds?

Look at all the great Orioles fan on here. Now go and check out how many are coming Saturday night when they can buy discouted tickets $25 vs $45. I'm honestly a little surprised at the lack of support as well. Hopefully things will pick up in the summer.

I'm really suprised that you all are suprised that the attendance is down again. Once again, they had their chance to reel the fans back in and they blew it. By the end of last year the fan interest was booming, but instead of making some quality moves and spending some money, they did nothing, just like they've done the 15 years prior. I said before, to think we can win all those 1 run and extra inning games again is crazy. I really expected the fan support to drop off again because the team made no attempt to better themselves.

Yes, very disappointing. O's should be proactive in doing promotions to fill seats like they were late last year.

Not much short of free tickets and beer is going to convince people to go watch a game against Tampa Bay in April. Seriously, if you're not a fan of pitching or don't know the team well, what reason is there for you to go watch your team play against Tampa Bay?

Okay, here's MY opinion on attendance....who gives a flying nun? Every year people complain about attendance, and every year it becomes a big deal. I don't care why people aren't going to every game. I'll get to my 15 games and year, and truthfully, I hope that I can run to the restroom and not miss half an inning due to long lines!

Unless the people complaining go to all 81 homes games, then I guess on any given night, that person is also part of the problem! See how ludicrous that sounds?

Exactly, if you aren't there and live close

enough you have no valid reason to point your fingers at others for not going.

That said, tonight is MLB Drawstring bag night for the first 10,000 fans so I'm guessing it will be a decent crowd.

I'm really suprised that you all are suprised that the attendance is down again. Once again, they had their chance to reel the fans back in and they blew it. By the end of last year the fan interest was booming, but instead of making some quality moves and spending some money, they did nothing, just like they've done the 15 years prior. I said before, to think we can win all those 1 run and extra inning games again is crazy. I really expected the fan support to drop off again because the team made no attempt to better themselves.

And...yet they drew better for their first series at home than they did last year, and ticket sales are up, and excitement is up. Oh yeah, they sure needed big, sexy moves to make that happen.

Very small sample size, but attendance, after all of four games, is ahead of where we were in 2012. I believe that when it's all said and done, the Orioles will draw about 500,000 more than last year assuming they stay competitive. That will give the team even more money not to reinvest in payroll. :cool:

Just a random thought for people who want to go to games...We were running a bit late, walking to stadium around 720-725 and there were PLENTY of scalpers still selling tickets. I think I might try buying some cheap (under face value) tickets from these guys in the future. Tickets cant be expensive 30 mins after the game has started and theres not a high demand.

Might be a cost effective option for some...

Archived