Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

O.K., you're Peter Angelos (which in most cases means you're several inches shorter, wrinkled, smell like freshly printed $100 bills, and people snap to attention when you walk by).

Would you rather have an additional 200,000-500,000 in attendance annually ($4.8-$12M in revenue, I think the actual is closer to the low number) or MASN including the $75M start-up from MLB, plus 84% (currently) and NLT 67% of the profits and equity for life?

We already have that answer, and I'm betting his people did a pretty good estimate of those numbers before he made the deal with MLB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today's crowd of 33,820 puts us just under 2 Million over with 14 home games left to play.

1,990,739 - 67 Home Games

The Orioles have broken 2 Million for the 2nd consecutive season.

TONIGHT:O 17,383

SEASON:OO 2,008,122

Take a look at this link from Baseball Reference. It's attendance in 1975. I picked that year because I attended my first game at Memorial Stadium in '75.http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/1975-misc.shtmlOnly two teams broke 2 million. Anyone who says baseball is in decline needs to have their heads examined.
I don't think baseball is in decline. Although the percentage of fans in the population is probably down. But... devil's advocate view: In 1975 the US population was 2/3rds what it is today. And it was more rural, had less access to transportation. The per capita income was just under $6000. Today it's over $40k. Even once you factor in inflation income is close to doubled.The baseline assumption should be that baseball attendance should probably be up by 25% or maybe even 50%, just to keep pace with the population and disposable income gains.

I don't think baseball is in decline. Although the percentage of fans in the population is probably down. But... devil's advocate view: In 1975 the US population was 2/3rds what it is today. And it was more rural, had less access to transportation. The per capita income was just under $6000. Today it's over $40k. Even once you factor in inflation income is close to doubled.The baseline assumption should be that baseball attendance should probably be up by 25% or maybe even 50%, just to keep pace with the population and disposable income gains.

The government statistics show the economy is okay.

From my perspective, the middle class is getting smaller, the wealthy is getting wealthier and the the lower side of what used to be middle class is moved down towards the poverty line. They are working, but with gas being 3.50 a gallon, they are living pay check to pay check to just pay for needed necessities.

Very interesting analysis, but you also have to keep in mind that in 1975 General Admission seats were $2.00 and you could bring in a cooler of your own beer. Also, in 1975, the population in Baltimore City was much more dense. Transportation wasn't as much of an issue.

I don't think baseball is in decline. Although the percentage of fans in the population is probably down. But... devil's advocate view: In 1975 the US population was 2/3rds what it is today. And it was more rural, had less access to transportation. The per capita income was just under $6000. Today it's over $40k. Even once you factor in inflation income is close to doubled. The baseline assumption should be that baseball attendance should probably be up by 25% or maybe even 50%, just to keep pace with the population and disposable income gains.

In 1975, there were 24 teams and median attendance was about 1.15 mm. In 2013, there are 30 teams and median attendance is 2.2 mm with about 24 games remaining. So, it's fair to say attendance is up over 100% compared to 1975.

Take a look at this link from Baseball Reference. It's attendance in 1975. I picked that year because I attended my first game at Memorial Stadium in '75.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/1975-misc.shtml

Only two teams broke 2 million.

Anyone who says baseball is in decline needs to have their heads examined.

Its comparing apples and oranges to look at 1975 and now. Stadiums are far more accessible as a result if downtown locations and increased public transportation.

All that said I do agree the game is not I decline but I do feel that under better leadership than Selig it could be marketed far better

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

In 1975, there were 24 teams and median attendance was about 1.15 mm. In 2013, there are 30 teams and median attendance is 2.2 mm with about 24 games remaining. So, it's fair to say attendance is up over 100% compared to 1975.

Agreed that its up for a number if reasons. The one thing I might disagree on is calling them all fans. I know a number of people who go to 2 or 3 games a year you know very little about the game or the team. the increase attendance in my mind is more about turning going to a game in to an event than it is about the growth of the popularity of the game. If there is one place where I feel baseball needs to improve it isn't getting those people more actively involved in following baseball as a sport.

Agreed that its up for a number if reasons. The one thing I might disagree on is calling them all fans. I know a number of people who go to 2 or 3 games a year you know very little about the game or the team. the increase attendance in my mind is more about turning going to a game in to an event than it is about the growth of the popularity of the game. If there is one place where I feel baseball needs to improve it isn't getting those people more actively involved in following baseball as a sport.

Sorry stupid phone. I meant to say baseball needs to do a better job of getting people who go to the games to follow the sport.

Archived