Manny Machado is our best player

Spy Fox

So I was perusing YouTube and stumbled on this footage of Manny's first AB:

[video=youtube;5Zw91ZUiO9o]

See that dude in the Ripken jersey jump up as soon as they announce him? Yeah, that's me (alongside a number of family). Otherwise, not the greatest video - but if you stick it out, you'll get to see my entirely inappropriate reaction when Manny puts the ball in play.

I have no idea who shot this video; just happened to click on it after watching TGO's video above. The internet is freaking crazy. But at least my enthusiasm for Manny has been documented for all eternity ;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a shame he's not in Harper or Trout's league. We'll have to make due with a 2nd tier star.

I hope this is made with tongue in cheek. A great third baseman who can hit, play great defense, has a rocket arm and controls the game at the corner infield position is worth more than an outfielder in terms of his overall value. His hitting is also pretty on par with both of these players at this stage of their careers.

I hope this is made with tongue in cheek. A great third baseman who can hit, play great defense, has a rocket arm and controls the game at the corner infield position is worth more than an outfielder in terms of his overall value. His hitting is also pretty on par with both of these players at this stage of their careers.

Just reiterating what the professional scouts have said.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Just reiterating what the professional scouts have said.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-manny-machado-0514-20130513,0,3913599.story

Compare and contrast

Baseball is about obvious as well as incongruous comparisons ? eras, players, positions, apples, oranges, cantaloupes ? and right now a hot topic is whether Machado is as good as Trout, who nearly won the American League Most Valuable Player as a 20-year-old, and Harper, who was a Sports Illustrated can't-miss cover boy at age 16.

Machado "doesn't belong, for the moment, in the Trout/Harper discussions, because he just hasn't accomplished as much as what those two guys have so far," ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian said. "Last year ? given what they did ? was historic for Trout and for Harper, and it was not for Manny. But probably because he was not called up earlier in the year."

Machado has played just 89 games as a big leaguer. Harper has been in 173. Trout, 21, has appeared in 216. The trio's numbers through its first 89 MLB games, though, are remarkably similar. Machado actually has driven in more runs, hit for a higher average (albeit one point higher than Trout at .294) and tied Trout for homers (12, Harper had 10 in his first 89 games).

"Now, if you are discussing the 'best young players in the game' list, it is Harper, Trout and Machado leading that discussion," Kurkjian said. "You have to take in account that, last year, this kid was playing out of position, and when [Machado] was called up he was in a pennant race the second he got there. So he is in that discussion."

Five major league scouts ? three from the National League, two from the American League and none from Washington, Baltimore or Los Angeles ? were asked this week to rank those players in order of preference if they could select just one to build a club around.

"That's like asking me which Charlie's Angel I'd most want," one veteran scout quipped. "All three are so very good, young, talented and play the game the right way. If I got any of the three as a consolation prize, I wouldn't be disappointed."

Two scouts ranked the order as Harper, Trout and Machado; two had it Trout, Machado and Harper and one ranked it Harper, Machado and Trout. One scout said he'd take the Boston Red Sox's shortstop prospect, 20-year-old Xander Bogaerts, third, a spot ahead of Machado.

Both scouts who ranked Machado second and Trout first said they would flip-flop the two if Machado returned to his natural position of shortstop and played it as well as he plays third.

"If Machado moves back to shortstop and shows he can continue to play the position, I would take him No. 1 due to the fact it is a prime position and I feel he is going to be the best hitter of the three," one scout said. "To be honest, I figured all this out with a coin toss."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-manny-machado-0514-20130513,0,3913599.story#ixzz2TGmTLoze

I think the consensus is already shifting more every day to that Manny is indeed in their league. And if he switches back to short he will be more valuable than the 2 outfielders. He hasn't had the exposure those 2 have had, but the media are coming around & they are slowly realizing just how great he can be.

I know there's another Machado thread or two but... Wow.

Adam Jones may be the best overall hitter.

Chris Davis may be the most powerful.

Matt Wieters might be our most irreplaceable.

Jim Johnson might be our most reliable.

But watching the Orioles so far this year, it seems pretty clear to me that in terms of overall baseball skill and multi-faceted contributions to winning, Manny is the best player we have. And with less than a year in the majors, that's amazing.

Maybe he is. But there are others too.

Archived