Manny Machado is our best player

Spy Fox

Just to play devils advocate, when he was 0 for the first week, you all were saying some bad things about Manny. When he comes back down to earth will you turn on him?
Manny was 6 -30 with 2 BB, the first week.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to play devils advocate, when he was 0 for the first week, you all were saying some bad things about Manny. When he comes back down to earth will you turn on him?

Did you mean to say "IF he went 0-fer his first week" because Manny had a pretty good first week. He hit two home runs HIS SECOND GAME IN THE MAJORS.

THe season is even a month and a half old yet. We are getting ahead of ourselves. Right now Chris Davis looks like the MVP of the league. Lets see how Manny is doing over a whole season before we label him our best player. I say Adam Jones is our best player until proven wrong.

Calm down, take a breath and let's watch him develop. I'm shocked at what I am seeing. I thought he would be average offensively as he continued to adjust to the majors. What he has done is really amazing but let's let it continue for a while before we order a statue.

THe season is even a month and a half old yet. We are getting ahead of ourselves. Right now Chris Davis looks like the MVP of the league. Lets see how Manny is doing over a whole season before we label him our best player. I say Adam Jones is our best player until proven wrong.

No, Miguel Cabrera looks to repeat.

Davis does look to get some votes.

And MM just continues making plays that drops all our jaws...

And that hittery thang...

Most irreplaceable/indispensable over Wieters?

I know it sounds blasphemous....I know....but I don't think it'd be terribly difficult to find another catcher that'd hit in the .248 range with a .314 OBP this year. Yes, Wieters defense is stellar but IIRC Snyder has thrown out 2/3 baserunners so far. SSS, I know, I know, I know.

Let's not forget what has been brought up several times already from various sources: The Orioles started winning last year...and have continued to win at a great clip...when Manny was brought up and solidified the defense at third base.

We have average SP at best. If you took Wieters out of the mix you might very well have well below average SP. Then all the Manny's in the world wouldn't do much good. That said, I see Manny as an AS, in the mix for AL MVP, and the O's MVP.

I'm going to disagree with this one. We might not be as good at catching base stealers but the pitching staff would be just as good with Chris Snyder or Taylor Teagarden behind the plate. There is a myth that Wieters is some kind of magic game caller/pitcher handler.
Well I guess Buck has bought into that myth. Silly liitle guy he actually thinks there's more to catching than throwing out base stealers, blocking pitches and hitting HR.. You ought to straighten him out. :rolleyestf:

Well I guess Buck has bought into that myth. Silly liitle guy he actually thinks there's more to catching than throwing out base stealers, blocking pitches and hitting HR.. You ought to straighten him out. :rolleyestf:

It's not like Wieters is calling the games. He gets the pitches from the dugout.

It's not like Wieters is calling the games. He gets the pitches from the dugout.

I'm a little unclear on this, but I don't think Wieters usually gets the pitches from the dugout. Thats why Showalter is always saying that Wieters is one of the best at "putting down fingers." I don't think he means that he's getting the signs from the dugout and then literally putting down his fingers. ;)

That said, right now Manny is more valuable than Wieters IMO.

Archived