Buck's defense of JJ

Bigbie03

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These posts just get worse and worse.

Show me where anyone "wants Johnson gone".

You do realize it's possible to want him removed from the closer role temporarily without "wanting him gone".

Sweet strawman argument though.

From the game thread. Close enough to gone, Buck in his stead...

If Johnson is allowed to closer another game this season buck should be fired immediately.

No, that's not an exaggeration. He's done. Completely done. None of his secondaries are anywhere near the plate and his sinker isn't sinking.

He has single handedly lost us 4 games this season and the season is only about a 1/4 over.

Inexcusable.

And buck, wake up!!!!! Every single poster on this board saw he was done.

Why get Patton up and then have a lefty come up and then just leave Johnson out there to die on the vine!??

Horrible horrible managing.

This team is not winning the East. A real contender wins this game.

blowhard

And once again another absurd straw man argument is made on the hangout.

We were discussing wanting Johnson "gone". That means fired. I said show me where I ever said I wanted Johnson fired.

You posted a quote, from the heat of the game, that says buck should be fired if he uses Johnson as a closer again.

I later retracted the statement, but I reiterated that I still would very much prefer Johnson be moved, at least temporarily, from the closer role. I still believe that is the best route and will hold to it.

Despite my overreaction to Johnson's 4th blown save in 5 games, I never once said he should "be fired" which is what I challenged someone to find me saying. Instead you found 1 post from the heat of the moment which says buck needs to be fired if he sticks with Johnson to the detriment of the team.

I don't want buck fired, for the record, that was an overreaction, but if you don't think some cracks in bucks managerial armor are starting to show you might need to take a step back.

I'm not saying he's bad, but he's showing a crazy amount of stubbornness staying with Johnson with the way he's looked so far. He hasn't looked bad, he's looked incredibly bad. Strop got dl'd for pretty much the same thing Johnson is doing but Johnson not only doesn't get a mystery injury, he gets to keep the most important role in the pen.

He stuck with jj in the 2 hole way too long last year. He stuck with Flaherty while he flirted with a .100 average. He stuck with Gregg as a closer far too long. There are more examples, but we don't really need to examine those, all we need to do is look at buck's insane statement that Johnson was "good" on Sunday.....he almost made it sound like it was just bad luck that Johnson got shelled.

I understand part of it is coachspeak but come on, he just comes off as ridiculous and stubborn when he refuses to even acknowledge reality.

Regardless, you took one post made after a horrendous loss and used it as proof of something that it doesn't even say, and you also managed to ignore where I said I might have gone too far but I do want Johnson gone from the closer role.

I'm starting to get a better sense of how this place works.

The same 5 or 6 posters attack anyone who was anything negative at all to say about any oriole for any reason.

If you can't even criticize a 4th blown save in 5 attempts (a blown 3 run lead no less) and a manager who says he was "good" during said blown save, when is it EVER ok to criticize someone??? I await your answer.

Fans and the interviewer deserve a little better than "he made a lot of good pitches". You don't have to rip the guy to just state the obvious. He didn't make a lot of good pitches.

Imagine him pulling this in NY or Boston. I dont think he would get away with it one bit.

And once again another absurd straw man argument is made on the hangout.

We were discussing wanting Johnson "gone". That means fired. I said show me where I ever said I wanted Johnson fired.

You posted a quote, from the heat of the game, that says buck should be fired if he uses Johnson as a closer again.

I later retracted the statement, but I reiterated that I still would very much prefer Johnson be moved, at least temporarily, from the closer role. I still believe that is the best route and will hold to it.

Despite my overreaction to Johnson's 4th blown save in 5 games, I never once said he should "be fired" which is what I challenged someone to find me saying. Instead you found 1 post from the heat of the moment which says buck needs to be fired if he sticks with Johnson to the detriment of the team.

I don't want buck fired, for the record, that was an overreaction, but if you don't think some cracks in bucks managerial armor are starting to show you might need to take a step back.

I'm not saying he's bad, but he's showing a crazy amount of stubbornness staying with Johnson with the way he's looked so far. He hasn't looked bad, he's looked incredibly bad. Strop got dl'd for pretty much the same thing Johnson is doing but Johnson not only doesn't get a mystery injury, he gets to keep the most important role in the pen.

He stuck with jj in the 2 hole way too long last year. He stuck with Flaherty while he flirted with a .100 average. He stuck with Gregg as a closer far too long. There are more examples, but we don't really need to examine those, all we need to do is look at buck's insane statement that Johnson was "good" on Sunday....he almost made it sound like it was just bad luck that Johnson got shelled.

I understand part of it is coachspeak but come on, he just comes off as ridiculous and stubborn when he refuses to even acknowledge reality.

Regardless, you took one post made after a horrendous loss and used it as proof of something that it doesn't even say, and you also managed to ignore where I said I might have gone too far but I do want Johnson gone from the closer role.

I'm starting to get a better sense of how this place works.

The same 5 or 6 posters attack anyone who was anything negative at all to say about any oriole for any reason.

If you can't even criticize a 4th blown save in 5 attempts (a blown 3 run lead no less) and a manager who says he was "good" during said blown save, when is it EVER ok to criticize someone??? I await your answer.

I can't find it. Where did Buck say Johnson was good yesterday?

I didn't think his sinker was all that bad really. The one Encarnacion hit was well placed and 94mph. Problem is, that was all he had and he lost command of it after like 25 pitches.

The walk was the tipping point. Can't have that out of your closer. Losing those type of games is flat out unacceptable. Every time.

Disappointing at best.

I swear to God, this thread. This thread is why people who aren't sports fans hate sports.

1. Buck isn't going to throw JJ under any bus, car, train, dune buggy or any other conveyance.

2. His lack of doing that does not make him a bad manager.

3. If you were to do that, as a manager, your job would be in jeopardy very quickly because you would lose the clubhouse (see Mattingly, Don)

4. For the first time this year the Orioles have hit adversity, real adversity. And the amount of people that seem to not be able to handle that is laughable.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

What would you expect him to say? Put yourself in Bucks place and give me your quote.

"Well, Gary, in retrospect I should have recognized that Jimmy was struggling out there and that today just wasn't his day. His pitch count was getting up there and he was having command issues. In looking back, I should have gone out there and taken him out. He's been so good for us for so long but the reality is that nobody is going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. Even Rivera has had his moments".

This thread does make me laugh though this morning, so thanks for that! I still think Buck could have BOTH been supportive of JJ and still not make absurd post game comment like he threw "good pitches." He could have said, "Baseball is hard, it is a team game, we all win and lose games together, etc.". But either way, the reaction is funny!

"He made a lot of good pitches," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "He just kind of painted himself in a corner there and we just couldn't get it done."

Wow! :eek:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330526114

Is there really anything wrong with what he said? Okay so JJ blew another game.

Yes it is very frustrating for fans for this to happen. And for the teAm too. But

yesterday someone brought up the fact that of the 18 RISP only four scored. So

yes JJ is having a bad time of it. But the hitters need to do better. IMO

It's one thing to stand by your players. I don't have a problem with that. What I DO have a problem with is, getting defensive when reporters bring up any problem with your player, especially if he's a veteran, or one of your favorites, and being snarky with your response, as if..."How DARE you question me?"

That's Buck.

I have no problem with Buck sticking by his players. You wAnt him to say JJ is

stinking up the place? Buck knows he is pitching bad and so does Johnson. How

does it help answering a lot of fool questions help anything? It doesn't. The

pitching is scuffling now. All know it.

Archived