Buck's defense of JJ

Bigbie03

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent analysis. Now I want to roast Adair. Lol, just kidding.
I do too, and I'm not kidding. JJ, Hammel, and Britton all rely on their two seamer and all have struggled with it this season. Too bad they can't send Hammel and JJ down the Norfolk so they can work with Peterson and Griffin. Seems to be working for Zach.

Guest rochester

Who feels better if Buck ripped into JJ, even diplomatically. Buck? JJ? The other players? I am as frustrated as anyone that is spouting off but the only person that may feel good (if Buck ripped into JJ) is me, for a minute or so, then I would be wondering why Buck is being a jerk when he knows JJ is giving it everything!

Do you think JJ is not trying? Do we put him in the "Gregg" role and wear out the rest of the BP so things get even uglier. I believe if JJ does not get himself straightened out our road to the playoffs is reduced greatly without back-up. We need him back... and I don't know what the answer is right now... maybe not watching will lower anxiety level.

Yes, if you all don't be quiet, I am going to pull this car over right now.

Darn right. No video games for a week.

Act like babies and you'll be treated like babies. (I actually said that this morning.)

It is not Johnson's fault. It is some taking things way too seriously. IMO. I won't

call others names I disagree with. I am not saying you did.

Some angry fans won't be happy unless they get the bloody carcass of the offender thrown to them so they can tear the flesh from his bones. I can't help remembering that it's only a game. I guess I'm not a true fan.

Some angry fans won't be happy unless they get the bloody carcass of the offender thrown to them so they can tear the flesh from his bones. I can't help remembering that it's only a game. I guess I'm not a true fan.

You are a fan. I am a fan too. But me being so far from Baltimore is the reason I

don't get so wrapped up in the games. Or maybe at my age I have other interests

My lady friend and family. I used to get so pissed off when the team lost. I have

mellowed some. I don't get mad. Used to i would be so upset. I learned it doesn't

help a damn thing by being that way. I am happy when they win and okay if they

lose. I had to realize it is just a game. I am sorry that I have critized other fans.

That was wrong of me to do so. I think that maybe others are too much into the

O's. hate for others to be like I was. Mad at family. Mad for several days. I was

wrapped into the O's way too much.

You are a fan. I am a fan too. But me being so far from Baltimore is the reason I

don't get so wrapped up in the games. Or maybe at my age I have other interests

My lady friend and family. I used to get so pissed off when the team lost. I have

mellowed some. I don't get mad. Used to i would be so upset. I learned it doesn't

help a damn thing by being that way. I am happy when they win and okay if they

lose. I had to realize it is just a game. I am sorry that I have critized other fans.

That was wrong of me to do so. I think that maybe others are too much into the

O's. hate for others to be like I was. Mad at family. Mad for several days. I was

wrapped into the O's way too much.

I like to try an deal with it like the players do. Put my emotions into the game, and if it's a loss deal with it for an hour or so, then put it behind me. It's a 162 G season. If they took things as hard as some fans here do, they wouldn't win another game.

I like to try an deal with it like the players do. Put my emotions into the game, and if it's a loss deal with it for an hour or so, then put it behind me. It's a 162 G season. If they took things as hard as some fans here do, they wouldn't win another game.

100%. I laughed at myself a couple of years ago when I realized I was in a miserable mood all Sunday evening when my NFL team and/or my fantasy team lost! Ridiculous. Certainly so with a 162 game season. Of course we don't really need reminders that it is just a game, but in the midst of the meltdowns last week we had the tornado in OK and yesterday happening on Memorial Day makes it clearer than ever.

I learned a lot about compartmentalization in the service, and the "drive on" approach works in almost any situation.

As to the OP, I've got no doubt that Buck was crystal clear about how he felt and what he expected inside the clubhouse yesterday. We can parse a word or phrase here or there that we'd have rather heard, but I've got no problem with emphasizing the positive in public.

100% I laughed at myself a couple of years ago when I realized I was in a miserable mood all Sunday evening when my NFL team and/or my fantasy team lost! Ridiculous. Certainly so with a 162 game season. Of course we don't really need reminders that it is just a game, but in the midst of the meltdowns last week we had the tornado in OK and yesterday happening on Memorial Day makes it clearer than ever.

I learned a lot about compartmentalization in the service, and the "drive on" approachworks in almost any situation.

As to the OP, I've got no doubt that Buck was crystal clear about how he felt and what he expected inside the clubhouse yesterday. We can parse a word or phrase here or there that we'd have rather heard, but I've got no problem with emphasizing the positive in public.

Excellent post.

In the land of message boards, perspective is heavily underutilized. If you're willing to fight to the death to prove that a baseball manager should have used different words in a presser, it might be time to find a different use of your time.

Fans and the interviewer deserve a little better than "he made a lot of good pitches". You don't have to rip the guy to just state the obvious. He didn't make a lot of good pitches.

Honestly, who really cares? He's not going to express any doubts about JJ, and i'm fine with that, even though I'm sure he has doubts at this point just like we all do.

Apparently I'm one of the minority who does care. I don't know how many times I have to say it and it's obviously falling on deaf ears. I don't think it's ripping Johnson to state the obvious, his command is off and he's not pitching like he can right now. Pretty simple stuff. You don't care if he says it. It bothers me that all he can say is that "he threw a lot of good pitches". If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. It bothers me and I've said why. A few agree with me. Most don't seem to. But to answer your question one more time, I care. I'm not asking Buck to express doubt in Johnson, rip him publicly, or question his ability. Simply state that he had a bad game, something is not quite right, etc. etc. Now that I've said how I feel, I'm sure we'll have to go through this whole thing again that nobody cares if I care and that it's stupid to expect Buck to actually tell it like it is (in a very mild form).

BTW, I don't think I even brought this whole thing up. I think I began by responding to another poster and basically agreeing with him. Still, I stick by my opinion that I'd like to see Buck actually be a little more forthcoming with the analysis of the game.

I haven't watched the game yet. From reading Buck's comments it seems as though Navarro dropped a ball on a stolen base attempt and it was ruled a stolen base. In this case, Buck has no problem calling it the way he sees it. He says it should have been an error. So he has no problem telling it like it is with the new guy but he's going to go into full protection mode with the vet. I don't like. You don't care. We are different. If I don't like it, I can't change that.

You know, I do get that you don't want to hear about how well we played right after we pissed all over ourselves. You just don't want to hear it.....almost ANYTHING BUT THAT! I get it. I used to marvel at how Norv Turner could almost seem thrilled after getting throttled 45-13. Please don't think I'm putting Buck and Norv on the same level, because I'm not. Just trying to make a comparison.

I was mad as hell yesterday. I wanted to break things and generally behave like a lunatic. I used to think the manager should have the common decency to do the same. But that's where Buck is smarter than I am. He recognized it for what it was......1 game. Granted, a really bad one. I have no doubt that he says what needs to be said behind closed doors. The players watch the post-game interviews just like we do. He had that in his mind when he's speaking. I don't know of a gentle way to throw somebody under the bus. In the end, you're still under it.

Managers who rip their players in public lose the clubhouse, followed by their job. Look at Billy Martin for an example. Everyone knows this, including the interviewer. But the

question has to be asked, even if everyone knows you're going to get a lame answer. At least it's material they can publish.

But you'd better believe that if JJ's performance actually becomes an issue (and it's not right now) - then Buck will privately take action to correct it.

Put me in the camp that couldn't care less with what Buck says after games like that. I also don't buy into the conspiracy that he's afraid to be critical of his veteran players. We can all see that Johnson isn't himself right now, I personally don't need Buck to reassure me of what I know I'm seeing.

RZ, I don't know about the bolded text either. I'd didn't mean to do that.

I don't think the way you said it sounds like throwing a guy under the bus. I guess I just don't have a problem with what he did say. I appreciate the fact that you do. That's cool.

Archived