2013 Orioles 2nd Round Draft Pick - Chance Sisco, C, Temescal Canyon H.S. (Calif.)

Kind of odd how big the difference in his swing is between the two videos. In the MLB.com one he starts with his feet spread very wide and barely takes a stride at all, whereas in the YouTube one his feet are really close together and he takes a large stride on every pitch. I'd imagine the second one was taken earlier considering it lists him as a SS so I guess it'll be interesting to see what the O's do with his swing in the pros.

SHC, interesting you say Sisco is an arms swinger considering the O's also drafted Josh Hart who is basically the prototype of "slap hitter".

At times Hart does look like a slap hitter then there are other times he's short and quick to the ball and drives it with power. That's what I was saying that I can see what the scout see's in the kid. Shorten up that swing and get him working gap to gap I think you'll see more than just a slap hitter.

As for Sisco you can see he gets absolutely nothing from his lower half of his body. In his hitting approach there is too much that has to happen in order for him to get a good swing on the ball. The approach he's taking (atleast in these two videos) is throw his hands to the ball. He needs to quiet down the approach and refine his mechanics to generate more power from his lower half.

You know, some of his coaching might be stressing techniques like that. I've been around different camps, workouts, showcase camps and i've seen just about anything and everything and others I just shake my head at. Some coaches are more of a hinderance to kids development even though they think they're being helpful.

At times Hart does look like a slap hitter then there are other times he's short and quick to the ball and drives it with power. That's what I was saying that I can see what the scout see's in the kid. Shorten up that swing and get him working gap to gap I think you'll see more than just a slap hitter.

As for Sisco you can see he gets absolutely nothing from his lower half of his body. In his hitting approach there is too much that has to happen in order for him to get a good swing on the ball. The approach he's taking (atleast in these two videos) is throw his hands to the ball. He needs to quiet down the approach and refine his mechanics to generate more power from his lower half.

You know, some of his coaching might be stressing techniques like that. I've been around different camps, workouts, showcase camps and i've seen just about anything and everything and others I just shake my head at. Some coaches are more of a hinderance to kids development even though they think they're being helpful.

Both Hart and Sisco will need some refinement, which of course is why we have the minor leagues. I see what you are saying on both guys. For me, both have too much wrist movement during their load process and that will lead to an inconsistent swing path and timing issues. I'll give the O's credit though, they done some wonders with Michael Ohlman's swing so hopefully they have the right instructors in place to make the necessary changes.

As you know, when they take high schoolers in these rounds, they are going for upside, so the chances of being a bust are much higher than with college players. High school bats are the single hardest thing to judge in my opinion because you normally do not get a chance to see them bat enough against quality pitching to judge them. All BP does is give you an idea of hitting tools like bat speed, ability to barrel the ball and of course power potential.

Sisco did not walk much in high school. He didn't strike out much either of course but you wonder why pitchers weren't more careful with him or maybe he's just a bit of a free singer. We'll see how that plays in the pros.

I think this is a really important observation. I see a lot comments made around draft time about guys' batting styles or habits. The O's may very well break his whole stance up and re-build it. Or maybe not. I agree that not all coaches, particularly HS coaches, are good at this kind of stuff.

Wow...three high-schoolers with their first three picks. I did not see that one coming.

Can we take this as a vote of confidence from the people drafting in that they believe in the current O's system's ability to develop very young talent - which will be a very welcome change from the last 20 years or so?

Can we take this as a vote of confidence from the people drafting in that they believe in the current O's system's ability to develop very young talent - which will be a very welcome change from the last 20 years or so?

I was thinking they would be picking some college kids that could be ready to provide some help at the MLB level while the O's current window is open.

I was thinking they would be picking some college kids that could be ready to provide some help at the MLB level while the O's current window is open.

Along these lines...I wouldn't be surprised to see us shoot for some possible bullpen arms that could move quickly through the system over the next few rounds.

"I have no words right now. I couldn't be happier, this is what I've been working for my whole life."

Sisco transferred from Lake Elsinore Temescal Canyon to Santiago before his junior season. This year, with scouts watching nearly every game, he hit .467 with a .747 slugging percentage. He didn't make an error behind the plate and threw out 15 attempted base-stealers.

• 2 months later...

Archived