2013 Orioles 2nd Round Draft Pick - Chance Sisco, C, Temescal Canyon H.S. (Calif.)

2nd Round - Chance Sisco, C

6'02" 193lbs DOB: 02/24/95

Scouting Video

Gary Rajsich:

"He just started catching this year. But he is a hitter that also catches. We like his bat a lot. We think he is going to have power. And he just started catching and is a natural back there. He is very flexible. Something to work with. He has got a chance to learn and be a real good catcher. He has a chance to be a front-line catcher."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-scouting-director-gary-rajsich-talks-about-first-day-picks-20130606,0,3882379.story#ixzz2VXnBRcnu

Sisco recently transitioned from shortstop to catcher, but has quickly shown the skills necessary to remain behind the plate long term. He has an average arm and has good hands. As Sisco, out of Temescal Canyon H.S. (Calif.), becomes more comfortable as a catcher, he should develop into a solid all-around defender. Offensively, he has an advanced hitting approach and makes a lot of good contact with his quick swing. Listed at 6-foot-2, 193 pounds, Sisco is still physically maturing. As he gets stronger, he has the potential to develop average power. Sisco is committed to Oregon.

Tony's Initial Take: Other than Matt Wieters, the Orioles haven't drafted a catcher in the first two rounds since Chip Alley in 1995. Sisco is a recent convert to catching so he will most likely take some time to understand the nuances of the position. He has some swing issues that will need to be worked out, but the Orioles believe he's got some power potential. The Orioles have almost no true catching prospects in the system so Sisco instantly becomes the best catching prospect in the system once he signs.

High School Catchers terrify me in terms of production value (I was one!). But then again I'm a pessimist about O's drafts. The kid moved off SS so that usually means he was the elite fielder/player on a HS team. I really hope he works out, 193 lbs in high school is pretty impressive to me if its muscle/athletic weight.

2nd Round - Chance Sisco, C

6'02" 193lbs DOB: 02/24/95

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?topic_id=40395496&content_id=27519433' rel="external nofollow">

Scouting Video

Sisco recently transitioned from shortstop to catcher, but has quickly shown the skills necessary to remain behind the plate long term. He has an average arm and has good hands. As Sisco, out of Temescal Canyon H.S. (Calif.), becomes more comfortable as a catcher, he should develop into a solid all-around defender. Offensively, he has an advanced hitting approach and makes a lot of good contact with his quick swing. Listed at 6-foot-2, 193 pounds, Sisco is still physically maturing. As he gets stronger, he has the potential to develop average power. Sisco is committed to Oregon.

What is the signing probability?

With this pick, I think it's fair to reason that Jon Denney, C from Oklahoma, has floated a fairly large bonus number that has led to his drop. Sisco seems like a guy that could take a while, but most high school catchers do.

i'll be honest here. The other two guys videos I could see the potential in what a scout would see in them. This guy is all over the place. His hitting approach will have to be refined. He's what they call an arms swinger/slap hitter getting nothing from his lower half. Wasn't very impressive to me both defensively/offensively for a 2nd round grade.

But let me please state.. all I have is 2 videos to look at. Scouts obviously have more at their disposal and do a very good job for the most part grading out players. Maybe we just saw some bad footage and not the full package. Atleast that's what I'm hoping for.

Kind of odd how big the difference in his swing is between the two videos. In the MLB.com one he starts with his feet spread very wide and barely takes a stride at all, whereas in the YouTube one his feet are really close together and he takes a large stride on every pitch. I'd imagine the second one was taken earlier considering it lists him as a SS so I guess it'll be interesting to see what the O's do with his swing in the pros.

SHC, interesting you say Sisco is an arms swinger considering the O's also drafted Josh Hart who is basically the prototype of "slap hitter".

Archived