Team era when Wieters is not behind the plate is under 3.00

joedogg9999

WE KNOW that Wieters is clearly detrimental to the team, but the other 29 General Managers in the major leagues are all deaf, dumb, and blind, so let's get it done already. Damn, is it that difficult to understand ???

Well said.

I've said similar things, shame the entire league gives Matt respect for what he brings to the baseball diamond, yet, his own fans have such a negative view of it.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't imagine Buck saying anything like that on the record. But Buck has gone out of his way to compliment Wieters' handling of pitchers, time after time after time. I doubt he'd go that far out on a limb about it unless he believed it was true. And Buck knows a lot more about baseball than I do.

That bolded part is funny to me, because I think there are people here who think they know more than Buck, or DD, or Matt Wieters or whomever...

We don't, but Buck's comments are biased because he is the O's manager. His comments are taken on record as well.

I am not sure what your point is other than Buck doesn't always say exactly what he thinks. People in positions of authority rarely say exactly what they are thinking....but a more important question is why you are questioning Wieters effort? Because he makes $5.5 million he is going to get lazy about his defensive responsibilities as a catcher?

We don't, but Buck's comments are biased because he is the O's manager. His comments are taken on record as well.

Buck rarely makes negative comments about his players in public, but he also doesn't volunteer positive opinions unless he believes them. Ansd he's constantly praising Wieters' pitch-calling. I sometimes wonder if he's on Scott Boras' payroll.

And no I don't think Buck is biased just because he is the Orioles' manager. I think he's a pretty shrewd judge of talent and the nuances of the game. And that's a big reason that a team that sucked for a long time has suddenly been pretty good.

On a related note, here is a column Tom Boswell wrote today about how almost every one of the Nationals' starters has a better ERA when Wilson Ramos is catching instead of Kurt Suzuki. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/wilson-ramos-making-the-right-calls-for-the-washington-nationals-future/2013/08/20/e51182ce-0843-11e3-9941-6711ed662e71_story.html Amazingly, Davey Johnson even gave a quote on it:

I can't imagine Buck saying anything like that on the record. But Buck has gone out of his way to compliment Wieters' handling of pitchers, time after time after time. I doubt he'd go that far out on a limb about it unless he believed it was true. And Buck knows a lot more about baseball than I do.

I know most people hate Rick Dempsey, but they did a fairly extensive piece on Wieters on one of the pregames a week or so ago. The other guy (Hunter maybe) was going on about how all the pitchers and Buck just loved Wieters. Showed several of the pitchers making complementary remarks about him and about how hard Wieters worked studying film and data before every game to ensure ther success etc. That went on for quite awhile and then it came to Dempsey......the tone started to turn immediately. He just wasn't playing. He wasn't insulting or anything and was trying to keep a positive tone, but basically said Wieters does a lot of nice things but has several areas where he needs to improve his game (didn't get into any specifics), I was kinda shocked actually. Again, I know a lot of people hate Rick Dempsey and are probably going to call out Dempsey's ego etc. .....so take it for what it's worth.

I know most people hate Rick Dempsey, but they did a fairly extensive piece on Wieters on one of the pregames a week or so ago. The other guy (Hunter maybe) was going on about how all the pitchers and Buck just loved Wieters. Showed several of the pitchers making complementary remarks about him and about how hard Wieters worked studying film and data before every game to ensure ther success etc. That went on for quite awhile and then it came to Dempsey......the tone started to turn immediately. He just wasn't playing. He wasn't insulting or anything and was trying to keep a positive tone, but basically said Wieters does a lot of nice things but has several areas where he needs to improve his game (didn't get into any specifics), I was kinda shocked actually. Again, I know a lot of people hate Rick Dempsey and are probably going to call out Dempsey's .....so take it for what it's worth.

That is fairly surprising given what a cheerleader of the organization Dempsey can be...

I know most people hate Rick Dempsey, but they did a fairly extensive piece on Wieters on one of the pregames a week or so ago. The other guy (Hunter maybe) was going on about how all the pitchers and Buck just loved Wieters. Showed several of the pitchers making complementary remarks about him and about how hard Wieters worked studying film and data before every game to ensure ther success etc. That went on for quite awhile and then it came to Dempsey......the tone started to turn immediately. He just wasn't playing. He wasn't insulting or anything and was trying to keep a positive tone, but basically said Wieters does a lot of nice things but has several areas where he needs to improve his game (didn't get into any specifics), I was kinda shocked actually. Again, I know a lot of people hate Rick Dempsey and are probably going to call out Dempsey's .....so take it for what it's worth.

Dempsey does know his catching. He was very good behind the plate.

I got the impression he didn't want to go there ... and quite frankly, that's understandable imo.

I've heard him mention about "not giving a good target" with respect to Wieters. Personally, I don't know enough about "targeting". I think Wieters' strengths are blocking balls and throwing out runners. I think he does not call games very well or frame pitches very well.

I got the impression he didn't want to go there ... and quite frankly, that's understandable imo.

Yeah, I don't blame him but I'm a bit surprised because it gives him the opportunity to toot his own horn.

He's a well respected C, so I'd just like to get his take on what factors are important when analyzing C defense.

If Dempsey isn't impressed with Wieters' catching, I wish he'd give some explanation. What could he do better.

I love Dempsey. Yes he's a homer. Yes he's prone to hyperbole, but he holds the pitchers and catchers to very high standard. A winning standard. A lot of guys after a 6IP and 3ER start will just be satisfied and the media will too. Dempsey doesn't play that game. Always critiquing bad innings and bad pitches and giving up runs.

Archived