Marlins Trying to Trade Nolasco ASAP

luismatos4prez

I tend to disagree. Bundy is 20yrs old and even if he required TJ surgery, recent history suggests that he will be back as good as he was before. His value is certainly less than it may have been at this point last year but I would guess any team trading SP would still drool to get a prospect like Bundy back arm issues and all.
Bundy is a 20 YO High School prospect with arm issues. How much would you be willing to gamble on him? It's not like he stayed healthy, pitched his way up to AA, and was knocking on the door for a Sept. call up. He has gone way backwards.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can Quibble about Arrieta's value, but you have to pay to play. Because of Arrieta's stuff other teams value him more than we do. They think they can fix him. And I wouldn't be surprised if the can. Our pitching development sucks.

If there were teams that were willing to give us anything for Arrieta he would be gone. Buck doesn't like him. You can tell every time he pulls him he is pissed at him. Buck makes excuses for guys he likes and he never makes excuses for Arrieta. And why would anyone want Arrieta? He hasn't shown anything and he is 27. I think next stop is Japan,

Gonzo does. Tillman is pretty darn close. And of course Nolasco is doing it in the NL. I wouldn't expect him to get much deeper into games than Gonzo or Tillman on any type of consistent basis.

Having said that, there's little doubt this team needs to add a starter. I don't think Nolasco will cost as much as other think, but there's going to need to be one significant piece there.

Gonzo is 18.8. Tillman 17.4. Nolasco would be at least as good as those two, and better than anyone else we have.

Yeah, someone will want Arrieta.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/east-notes-davis-haren-arrieta.html

He just needs to get out of Baltimore since he's worn out his welcome here. He still has enough value that he would likely be the one headlining a package if we do make a trade.

That was why I was thinking a reliever for Arrieta. I agree that Arrieta is a guy who like Davis before he was traded here has a lot of unrealized potential.

Teams can talk about his unrealized talent but actually giving up players for it is another thing. Realistically it took Davis and Hunter to get back Koji for the Rangers.

We could use another good BP arm and it might be were you get maximum return that can help us right now for Jake

Bundy is a 20 YO High School prospect with arm issues. How much would you be willing to gamble on him? It's not like he stayed healthy, pitched his way up to AA, and was knocking on the door for a Sept. call up. He has gone way backwards.

I agree his value has taken a hit but like you said he was a 20yr old HS prospect who managed to get a look at the end of last season.

Its not as if he were a HS arm like Hobgood who underperformed prior to his injury.

Even IF he needs TJ surgery there is no reason to think he will not return to a level that is at least in the ballpark of what he was prior to this.

If I were a GM I would roll the dice on Bundy in a heartbeat. Its not a shoulder issue he has and while there is risk, the return could be enormous. That said I think the O's are smart to keep him and ride out the storm.

If there were teams that were willing to give us anything for Arrieta he would be gone. Buck doesn't like him. You can tell every time he pulls him he is pissed at him. Buck makes excuses for guys he likes and he never makes excuses for Arrieta. And why would anyone want Arrieta? He hasn't shown anything and he is 27. I think next stop is Japan,
As bad as he has been we don't currently have much else. If Chen were healthy, S. Johnson were healthy, Britton weren't still a squirrel, Wada were doing better, Jurrjens were doing better, Guasman were closer to being ML ready, and Bundy wasn't injured, he'd be gone. Who's pitching this Friday? Wada?, Jurrjens? Arrieta? Doesn't sound from what Buck has said that it's Gausman.

I don't even think the O's can get someone like this. We just don't have any pieces and too many clubs have better pieces. The farm is still bad, and our young tradeable pitchers have all tanked. Literally all of them.

I don't see the Marlins getting a good haul for Nolasco. With his salary, they're just looking to save some money. Any team that gives them the equivalent of Schoop or better is making a huge mistake.

I agree his value has taken a hit but like you said he was a 20yr old HS prospect who managed to get a look at the end of last season.

Its not as if he were a HS arm like Hobgood who underperformed prior to his injury.

Even IF he needs TJ surgery there is no reason to think he will not return to a level that is at least in the ballpark of what he was prior to this.

If I were a GM I would roll the dice on Bundy in a heartbeat. Its not a shoulder issue he has and while there is risk, the return could be enormous. That said I think the O's are smart to keep him and ride out the storm.

Before his set back I think Bundy might have been the main piece in a trade for Lee. Now he wouldn't be included. The point is he is not healthy and there is no guarantee he will ever be of value, going forward. He hasn't pitched enough to demonstrate anything to this point. What do you think you would get for him in trade now? Nolasco? Garza? Norris? Corriea?

If your talking about his value in a vacuum then I would agree he is not worth trading any of these guys for (Gausman, Bundy, Delmonico, ERod, Hader, Davies, Walker)

However being realistic your unlikely to get a guy like Nolasco for for Avery/Hoes (essentially 4th OF at best) and Wright/Arrieta. To many other teams looking for SP with better prospects for that to fly. If you include one of Delmonico, ERod, Hader etc then maybe we are in the ballpark.

This is what frustrated me about our inability to pick up a decentish starter this offseason. A guy at that point costs you money (long as you dont sign comp eligible guy). A team that is a little thin beyond its top 5 or so prospects should be doing all it can to ensure it does not find itself in this position (having to give up prospects for SP) during the offseason.

I get that some of the options such as Saunders they were looking at have not lived up to expectations and perhaps had they signed a guy like that we would still be in the market for a SP. I still think you have to take a shot on a guy during the offseason on one of these guys and if it does not work out then you can at least say you tried to address the issue.

Not the end of the world and not bashing a FO that has done a great deal right. Just saying it was a misstep and hopefully one we will not repeat again next offseason

But you also have to add in the fact that Nolasco is owed about $6 million and some teams are not going to want to add to that. If the Marlins eat some of the salary, then I can see them getting better prospects, but if not, it's basically a salary dump since Nolasco is going to be a free agent at the end of the year. I think a Arrieta-Hoes or Wright-Avery would be able to get it done as long as the Orioles are willing to take on that kind of salary.

Before his set back I think Bundy might have been the main piece in a trade for Lee. Now he wouldn't be included. The point is he is not healthy and there is no guarantee he will ever be of value, going forward. He hasn't pitched enough to demonstrate anything to this point. What do you think you would get for him in trade now? Nolasco? Garza? Norris? Corriea?

I would never trade him under the current conditions. I agree with you that his value because of injury has been reduced enough that it would be silly for the O's to shop him.

If I am the Astros though I would take Bundy for Norris in a heartbeat injury and all. Bundy is likely to be ready and effective by the time (if and when) that franchise is starting to turn the corner.

Were Bundy is concerned I think the smart move for the O's is to wait and hope he gets healthy

I disagree with this. Buck has to like him....otherwise, there is no explanation for the many chances he has gotten. I actually think Buck doesn't like Britton for some reason, and I've always had that feeling. Regardless, I'm guessing it's more frustration than dislike. He sees these guys and know they have the talent to be better than they are, and he's just frustrated that neither can seem to harness it.

For all of the usual folks coming up with reasons that the O's should not acquire Nolasco, consider when the doesn't come here he will be pitching for someone else in the AL East against us.

Last week we missed out on Wang while having to pitch Garcia, and Wang shut us down

For all of the usual folks coming up with reasons that the O's should not acquire Nolasco, consider when the doesn't come here he will be pitching for someone else in the AL East against us.

Last week we missed out on Wang while having to pitch Garcia, and Wang shut us down

STOP MAKING ME CONSIDER THINGS THAT ARE UNPLEASANT AND TRUE.:cussing:

But you also have to add in the fact that Nolasco is owed about $6 million and some teams are not going to want to add to that. If the Marlins eat some of the salary, then I can see them getting better prospects, but if not, it's basically a salary dump since Nolasco is going to be a free agent at the end of the year. I think a Arrieta-Hoes or Wright-Avery would be able to get it done as long as the Orioles are willing to take on that kind of salary.

I dunno. You might be right. Nolasco is not a TOR by any stretch but he is no scrub either. I gotta imagine the Marlins want one decent piece for him despite the 6 million owed.

One thing though that you hit on the head IMO is the Marlins are cheap and if the O's are willing to pay his salary then perhaps the Marlins will be dumb enough to make that trade. .

I just tend to think they will get more than people expect for Nolasco. Do not expect them to get an amazing haul but think they could do better than a combination Avery, Hoes, Arrieta and Wright even if the receiving team is paying the salary. Hope your right though. Would take Nolasco for any 2 of those 4 in a second right now.

Archived