luismatos4prez

Bases Empty: 8.04 K/9, 1.55 BB/9, 1.24 HR/9, 3.71 FIP, 3.55 xFIP

Men on Base: 6.36 K/9, 2.87 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, 3.94 FIP, 4.07 xFIP

Men in Scoring: 6.90 K/9, 3.73 BB/9, 0.76 HR/9, 4.00 FIP, 4.30 xFIP

League stats this year:

Bases Empty: 3.89 FIP 3.81xFIP

Men on Base: 3.96 FIP 4.05 xFIP

Men in Scoring: 4.12 FIP 4.27 xFIP

That pattern isn't unusual. If anything his stats are above average.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think almost everyone on here agrees that Nolasco would be an upgrade to the staff over Britton.

I think we all agree he is far from a TOR type guy.

Given that if the Dodgers, Red Sox, Padres etc are willing to part with a good prospect as well as pay his salary....let em have him. If he can be had for a reasonable package and paying his salary then we should be in. The only way I am annoyed if we do not get him is if the team that does gives up essentially nothing in terms of prospects and absorbs the salary.

I just have a terrible feeling that our front office is going to sit around and do nothing and give us the "stick with what we have" crap while Angelos continues to brainwash everyone into thinking we're broke.

Not doing anything to improve a part of the team that clearly needs improvement is a slap in the face to the fans. It's like in '05 when instead of getting AJ Burnett, we got Eric Byrnes.

I don't think that the Orioles are one of the 5 best teams (in terms of record) since Buck took over is an accident. He seemed to help quickly change the culture of losing. What we have is not crap and our record shows it. People are acting like the Orioles are going to fade if we do not get the starting pitching situation resolved. I think that we need to stabilize the rotation, but saying that Angelos will not approve a trade because of the $6M or so Nolasco is due the remainder of this season seems like a reach to me.

Assuming that Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez and Hammel serve as 4/5 of our starters than landing Nolasco (or a bunch of other guys) could round out the rotation. But I think that people are trying to blame the starters for why the pen hasn't performed very well and I just do not see it. Pretty much every reliever (sans Hunter) seems to have had bad stretches that cost us wins. Jim Johnson is out most talented reliever and he blew a bunch of saves over a 2-weeks period. If the pen wouldn't have regressed drastically from 2012 than we would be in first and this wouldn't be as big an issue.

I look at the Orioles and think that things are about to get better as far as depth (Roberts, Wada, Chen, Reimold), but the pen needs some help too. I personally would like to see the O's find a SP/RP combo that would help us and think that the Cubs make the most sense. What I really do not understand is how the Orioles thought that Garcia was a better option than Wang.

I don't think that the Orioles are one of the 5 best teams (in terms of record) since Buck took over is an accident. He seemed to help quickly change the culture of losing. What we have is not crap and our record shows it. People are acting like the Orioles are going to fade if we do not get the starting pitching situation resolved. I think that we need to stabilize the rotation, but saying that Angelos will not approve a trade because of the $6M or so Nolasco is due the remainder of this season seems like a reach to me.

Assuming that Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez and Hammel serve as 4/5 of our starters than landing Nolasco (or a bunch of other guys) could round out the rotation. But I think that people are trying to blame the starters for why the pen hasn't performed very well and I just do not see it. Pretty much every reliever (sans Hunter) seems to have had bad stretches that cost us wins. Jim Johnson is out most talented reliever and he blew a bunch of saves over a 2-weeks period. If the pen wouldn't have regressed drastically from 2012 than we would be in first and this wouldn't be as big an issue.

I look at the Orioles and think that things are about to get better as far as depth (Roberts, Wada, Chen, Reimold), but the pen needs some help too. I personally would like to see the O's find a SP/RP combo that would help us and think that the Cubs make the most sense. What I really do not understand is how the Orioles thought that Garcia was a better option than Wang.

If you're talking Garza plus Russell that would take quite the haul. The kind of haul that couldn't happen without Bundy or Gausman being involved.

You make some really good points.

I think most people on here realize that winning the division is a much better option than winning the one of the Wild Card spots.

I tend to think we have enough talent to be in the race all year even if we do not add the SP. I also think though that without making a move we are unlikely to outright win the division. Its not simply the #5 starter that concerns me its the utter lack of decent options if we were to lose one of Chen, Hammel, Gonzalez, Tillman. If you add another decent starter and lose one of those guys it hurts but you still have Britton, Gausman etc to fill that #5 spot. Adding another starter improves your starting 5 and by the nature of it also improves your depth if Britton or Gausman are not one of the guys in said trade.

Far as our depth getting better Chen is not depth but I get your point. Roberts could be impactfull if he can stay healthy. Wada has not shown much in the minors and Reimold is junk as far as I am concerned.

Can we hang in the race without additions...probably. With the right adds though this team is talented enough to make a run at a championship IMO and that should be the goal.

If they thought Gausman was ready to be a major league starter a trade wouldn't be necessary. But I think they want him down in the minors. With Bundy's health issues that means, for the rest of the season, our #5 starter options would be some combination of Britton, Arrieta, Jurrjens, Steve Johnson, etc. That's not going to get it done, unless Wada emerges there. In our entire rotation we don't have a pitcher who would be more than a #3, or at best a #2, in most contending rotations. We can't afford to be weak at the back end. Nolasco would give us stability in that role and, hopefully, put us back to where we were last year, when we had no ace but we had five starters who were all more or less equal in terms of effectiveness.

I'm hoping that the Marlins are just mainly looking for salary relief and not quality prospects, because Nolasco would not be worth giving up on Schoop.

I think this guy's resume should go to the top of the pile:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/miguel-alfredo-gonzalez-declared-a-free-agent.html

This would be a perfect time for Angelos to put some money into this team. IF this guy is ready for a starting rotation spot in the bigs after some innings in the minors this year, he could be a difference maker.

Any scouts on this board see Gonzalez pitch?

Nolasco seems ok but in the AL East I'm not sure he'd give us something we don't already have.

I think when Chen comes back we are going to be a lot less motivated to trade for a middle of the road guy.

1. Tillman

2. Hammel

3. Chen

4. Gonzalez

5. Britton/Gausman

Which of those guys are we removing from the rotation for someone like Nolasco? His ERA in the AL East is probably a run higher, unless we are taking him on as a salary dump without giving up anyone of significance I'd rather roll with what we've got.

Maybe I like Britton more than others but I don't have a problem with him and Gausman in the 5 slot for the rest of the year.

Nolasco seems ok but in the AL East I'm not sure he'd give us something we don't already have.

I think when Chen comes back we are going to be a lot less motivated to trade for a middle of the road guy.

1. Tillman

2. Hammel

3. Chen

4. Gonzalez

5. Britton/Gausman

Which of those guys are we removing from the rotation for someone like Nolasco? His ERA in the AL East is probably a run higher, unless we are taking him on as a salary dump without giving up anyone of significance I'd rather roll with what we've got.

Maybe I like Britton more than others but I don't have a problem with him and Gausman in the 5 slot for the rest of the year.

I'm removing Britton/Gausman. Pretty easy decision.

Archived