Joey Votto Critical of Davis Saying the HR Record Is 61

SeaBird

As much as Bonds disrespected the game, and I don't mean PED's, I wouldn't feel to sorry for him. Disrespecting Bond is like disrespecting Ty Cobb, another great all timer.

I understand fans taking that viewpoint (though I disagree with it). Players who go through the fraternity, from what I've observed, tend to avoid publicly bashing the greats, regardless of personal opinions.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand fans taking that viewpoint (though I disagree with it). Players who go through the fraternity, from what I've observed, tend to avoid publicly bashing the greats, regardless of personal opinions.

Yeah, as much as media types bash Bonds, I've never really heard another player say anything disrespectful about him.

I've always been a big fan of Barry, and never really understood why the media hated him so much.

Or maybe, like many MLBers, he takes issue with any johnny-come-lately trashing one of the greatest players of all time. I think Votto's comments are a bit off-putting in their accusatory nature, but I can understand why an established great could take issue with someone like Davis going in front of cameras and disrespecting one of the top five outfielders of all time.
I don't think Davis "bashed" or "trashed" Bonds. He said he wasn't judging the players who used steroids but 61 is the record to him. Did he say more than that?

I don't think Davis "bashed" or "trashed" Bonds. He said he wasn't judging the players who used steroids but 61 is the record to him. Did he say more than that?

No. He didn't. Not really. But everyone likes to extrapolate.

Yes.

And I don't know if this falls under the category of "disrespect", but Bonds once had a fistfight with Jeff Kent in the dugout.

Kent talks about what precipitated it here:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sportsnetBayArea/search/v/40203104/8-28-kent-on-fighting-with-barry-bonds.htm

"I'm not judging you but your accomplishment is tarnished and I don't recognize it."

Got it.

Or maybe, like many MLBers, he takes issue with any johnny-come-lately trashing one of the greatest players of all time. I think Votto's comments are a bit off-putting in their accusatory nature, but I can understand why an established great could take issue with someone like Davis going in front of cameras and disrespecting one of the top five outfielders of all time.

Davis implied a criticism of Bonds. Votto explicitly criticized Davis. But it's okay for Votto to do that because he's had a better career than Davis. Is that the gist?

Add brackets and it's Chris Davis re: Bonds.

Without reading the rest of the thread...why are we caring that someone criticized Bonds, McGwire, et al.? Is it not fair to assume that any current player's "defense" of those records has more to do with union solidarity (and/or financial bottom lines vis a vis what high producing players, now under the constant suspicion of steroid use, ought to earn going forward) than it does the "moral high ground" (or a lack thereof)?

Davis didn't say Bonds wasn't one of the five greatest outfielders of all time. I find it hard to believe that you would defend him so vigorously over a record that was clearly attained with the help of PED.

I don't think anyone is questioning Bonds was a great player. It's the validity of the record for a single season and then subsequently his career that has people shaking their heads.

Without reading the rest of the thread...why are we caring that someone criticized Bonds, McGwire, et al.? Is it not fair to assume that any current player's "defense" of those records has more to do with union solidarity (and/or financial bottom lines vis a vis what high producing players, now under the constant suspicion of steroid use, ought to earn going forward) than it does the "moral high ground" (or a lack thereof)?

This thread was about slamming Votto for taking issue with Davis' quotes.

Davis didn't say Bonds wasn't one of the five greatest outfielders of all time. I find it hard to believe that you would defend him so vigorously over a record that was clearly attained with the help of PED.

I don't think anyone is questioning Bonds was a great player. It's the validity of the record for a single season and then subsequently his career that has people shaking their heads.

I didn't defend Bonds.

Archived