Joey Votto Critical of Davis Saying the HR Record Is 61

SeaBird

He signed 2 years at $8M per with Toronto. That is not huge. He was looking at a $100M contract as a FA and conservative estimates showed he probably missed out on at least $70M or more because of his positive test.

Not by baseballs stands, but 4 Mil a year is still very good.

My point being is that what is the point for any of these players not to dope? Melky isn't out of baseball looking for a job. Colon is being raved about this year, did we already forget about last year? I think the suspensions should be bigger. 50 games is clearly not enough.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He signed 2 years at $8M per with Toronto. That is not huge. He was looking at a $100M contract as a FA and conservative estimates showed he probably missed out on at least $70M or more because of his positive test.

Well if he is clean this year than he is a replacement level player without steroids. Replacement level players wander from team to team to minors and back. Look at Steve Pearce for example. 700K this year. So the steroids net him 6.6 million dollars even after being caught.

Not by baseballs stands, but 4 Mil a year is still very good.

My point being is that what is the point for any of these players not to dope? Melky isn't out of baseball looking for a job. Colon is being raved about this year, did we already forget about last year? I think the suspensions should be bigger. 50 games is clearly not enough.

It was 2 years and $16M. My point was he was being discussed as being in the $100M class. $16M, while a nice chunk of change, pales in comparison to $100M. He won't be collecting food stamps but he screwed up big time and it cost him.

We are all entitled to our opinion regarding what is inherently a controversial topic. Votto may think one thing, while Davis may think another.

Where the problem arises, however, is when one player criticizes another and makes unfair assumptions regarding a player's personal views about the topic. That is where Votto crossed the line.

And what should Davis do? Just keep hitting home runs and ignore Votto's criticism, as his words are pained green with envy.

Regarding HOF, Bonds is on the ballot. There is nothing keeping him out except that he has not gotten the necessary number of votes. Now if he was convicted of steroid use, you would probably see him banned from HOF eligibility, similar to Rose.

Well what you state is technically true, but everyone knows why he hasn't been voted in when his records would support him easily getting in, if not for the taintedness associated with his playing career. I mean cmon, the guy's head increased to the size of a watermelon. It was comical to see.

It was 2 years and $16M. My point was he was being discussed as being in the $100M class. $16M, while a nice chunk of change, pales in comparison to $100M. He won't be collecting food stamps but he screwed up big time and it cost him.

That depends on how much you think the steroids aided his rise. If the steroids helped convert him from 4th outfielder material into an All-Star, then without the steroids at all, would he have even gotten 2/$16 or would it have been more in the 1/$3 range? Sure, he was pegged for $100M before the positive test, but that was also after the actual usage began.

How can anyone be critical of CD's viewpoint? These players who hit all these home runs are being passed over for an otherwise obvious Hall of Fame selection. Why do you think that is Joey? And Mr. Bonds is next to be left out.

Because baseball writers are holier than thou hypocrites?

Gaylord Perry was an admitted cheater, wasn't he? They elected him to the HoF anyway.

Good example. After all, Gaylord Perry wrote a book called "Me and the Spitter" while he was playing. I'm sure that a sportswriter helped him write the book. He gets in while a guy like Bagwell is getting shut out despite never being on named on a report or failing a drug test. Further, most of the sportswriters knew what was going on with the PEDs. They can vote for whomever they want, however, they seem to be high and mighty regarding an era that they covered.

Nice article in B-Sun on Davis and an interview with Davey Johnson.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-davey-johnson-talks-about-chris-davis-20130718,0,1401270.story?track=rss

So are 60-plus home runs realistic for Davis?

“Oh, I think so,” Johnson said. “One of the things in his favor is that there are a lot of good hitters around him. So you have to pitch to him.”

Seems to me that Votto wouldn't be going on the offensive like that unless he was trying to rationalize something in his own best interests.

Or maybe, like many MLBers, he takes issue with any johnny-come-lately trashing one of the greatest players of all time. I think Votto's comments are a bit off-putting in their accusatory nature, but I can understand why an established great could take issue with someone like Davis going in front of cameras and disrespecting one of the top five outfielders of all time.

As much as Bonds disrespected the game, and I don't mean PED's, I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. Disrespecting Bonds is like disrespecting Ty Cobb, another great all timer. I do find it interesting that on the one hand we hear all about how much today's players are opposed to PED cheaters, and on the other they defend Bonds.

Archived