Joey Votto Critical of Davis Saying the HR Record Is 61

SeaBird

I think Chris Davis should stop it with this "61" is the record talk. There is no way to go back and change anything that happened.

This whole taking away Bonds, Sosa, McGuire's and anyone else's record is complete idiocy. How could you separate clean from foul? He hit 2 homers off of this guy but he hadn't started to juice yet and the pitcher was juicing??? What a mess. All we are left with is IT HAPPEND. Record it and move on.

Has he even advocated taking away their numbers? Has he advocated striking them from the books? I'm under the impression he has only said he recognizes 61 as the true record.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you...Bonds is a scumbag and everybody knows he cheated. But until it is proven definitively or he admits it, I don't see how MLB can or should take away his stats. If that happens, then I would not be surprised to see MLB take some action, and I would completely support it.

Yeah. I have no idea what should be done. I don't fault Chris for thinking that Barry is not the guy he is shooting for.

Don't see the harm in an asterisk*. It's not taking anyone's records away, it's just noting the conditions under which the record was set. *"Achieved prior to PED testing," something like that. Or you could designate the PED era 1970 -2004. Any one playing the brunt of his career during the those years gets an asterisk next to his record.

Has he even advocated taking away their numbers? Has he advocated striking them from the books? I'm under the impression he has only said he recognizes 61 as the true record.

No. He did not voice an opinion on that. In fact, he said after hearing how many current players disagreed with his thought, that it was probably wrong, but he was sticking to them anyway.

Don't see the harm in an asterisk*. It's not taking anyone's records away, it's just noting the conditions under which the record was set. *"Achieved prior to PED testing," something like that. Or you could designate the PED era 1970 -2004. Any one playing the brunt of his career during the those years gets an asterisk next to his record.

So the majority pays for the sins of the few?

How can they keep him out of the HOF then? You can't have a double standard IMHO. If he's blackballed from the HOF then his stats should be designated as tainted by steriods with an asterik which explains why he is not in the HOF. Same with McGuire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Clemens, et al.

Regarding HOF, Bonds is on the ballot. There is nothing keeping him out except that he has not gotten the necessary number of votes. Now if he was convicted of steroid use, you would probably see him banned from HOF eligibility, similar to Rose.

So the majority pays for the sins of the few?
How do you know it was a few? Pretty much of the majority of players between 1970 and 2004 were on PED's at some time or the other, IMO. Besides who is paying anything? All the asterisk is doing is noting that the record was set during a period when PED use was prevalent and there was no testing. That's the truth. It's not invalidating the record. A list of the most single season HR leaders would read like this:

Bonds 73 *

McGwire 70 *

Sosa 66 *

Sosa 63 *

Maris 61

Ruth 60

Regarding HOF, Bonds is on the ballot. There is nothing keeping him out except that he has not gotten the necessary number of votes. Now if he was convicted of steroid use, you would probably see him banned from HOF eligibility, similar to Rose.
I don't know how one gets "convicted" of steroid use, but McGwire and many others have admitted to or have tested positive for steroid use and none have been banned from anything.

How do you know it was a few? Pretty much of the majority of players between 1970 and 2004 were on PED's at some time or the other, IMO. Besides who is paying anything? All the asterisk is doing is noting that the record was set during a period when PED use was prevalent and there was no testing. That's the truth. It's not invalidating the record. A list of the most single season HR leaders would read like this:

Bonds 73 *

McGwire 70 *

Sosa 66 *

Sosa 63 *

Maris 61

Ruth 60

28 teams and 40 man rosters = 1120, just for the sake of numbers.

Say there was 100 guys juiced up, that is still a minority number.

Unless you are willing to show me that 560 players was juiced up, every year, then, yes, the majority pays the price for the few.

28 teams and 40 man rosters = 1120, just for the sake of numbers.

Say there was 100 guys juiced up, that is still a minority number.

Unless you are willing to show me that 560 players was juiced up, every year, then, yes, the majority pays the price for the few.

I prefer the 750 player on the ML 25 man rosters but either way, how is anyone paying anything for an asterisk? And if you think there were only 100 payers using PED's during the height of the "steroid" era you are na?ve.

I prefer the 750 player on the ML 25 man rosters but either way, how is anyone paying anything for an asterisk? And if you think there were only 100 payers using PED's during the height of the "steroid" era you are na?ve.

It has been indicated by some former players that it may have been a hundred per season that did not use any substance now banned by MLB.

I don't know how one gets "convicted" of steroid use, but McGwire and many others have admitted to or have tested positive for steroid use and none have been banned from anything.

This is the problem. Didn't Colon test positive last year? And now we are in awe of what he is doing this year? UM.. Who's to say he's still not using?

Melky tests positive and gets a huge contract (ok maybe more, if he hadn't). But what does that teach anyone? If you get caught, you'll lose some money but hey, you'll still make money so keep on keeping on?

If feel bad for the guys that are doing it the right way. That want their sport cleaned up. That don't want steroids to be how people perceive the MLB.

Archived