TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite Roberts' red hot streak last week, here's his numbers and Flaherty's over their last 17 games:

Roberts: .236/.313/.309/.622 (64 PAs)

Flaherty: .257/.316/.400/.716 (38 PAs) If you go back to Flaherty's last 66 PAs he's batting (.348/.394/.606/1.000)

Just more food for thought for those planting the winners flag after Roberts' hot week.

I note that you waited until Roberts went 0 for 9 the last two days to post this. ;)

That said, when I look at the full season of results to date, Roberts' current .035 OPS advantage (.676 vs. .641) is not enough to justify keeping him at 2B in 2014, even at a greatly reduced salary. I still prefer Roberts as a hitter, because I can't abide Flaherty's .282 OBP (.259 last year). And despite some failures the last two days, BRob has done very well in clutch situations, which is why he has 23 RBI in 158 PA compared to Flaherty's 19 RBI in 228 PA. BRob is a much more polished hitter who generally knows how to get his bat on the ball when runners are on board. He's been up 10 times with a runner on 3B and less than 2 out, and incredibly, all 10 have scored. He's been up 9 times with a runner on 2B and nobody out, and has advanced the runner 8 times. For that reason, I'd say his .676 OPS understates what he has brought to the team offensively. But the differential is still not enough for me to want BRob here as the starting 2B next year. He'd have to be up around .725 or higher for me to want to entertain that possibility.

I note that you waited until Roberts went 0 for 9 the last two days to post this. ;)

Timing is everything my friend. ;)

But the differential is still not enough for me to want BRob here as the starting 2B next year. He'd have to be up around .725 or higher for me to want to entertain that possibility.

At this point, this is my biggest concern really. I am not going to root for Roberts to do poorly, but what I don't want to see is for him to play just well enough for the Orioles to think about going into next season with him at second base again everyday. Now maybe Schoop will put this to rest, but I prefer a spring training battle between Schoop and Flaherty with Casilla back as utility again.

Don't see Schoop being a factor to begin the season at 2B. He missed too much time this season. Can see Flaherty and Roberts and Flaherty splitting time there. Don't see Casilla coming back.

Schoop is batting .290/.331/.504/.835 away from Norfolk this year at AAA. I think he'll be in the mix.

Schoop is batting .290/.331/.504/.835 away from Norfolk this year at AAA. I think he'll be in the mix.

Any chance we sign Roberts to a minor league deal with a Spring Invitation? I'd love for Schoop to be the starter and have Brian as a bench guy. Now, preferable we'd have better bench guys, but if the likes of Teagarden, Casilla, etc are coming back, I'd take BRob every day of the week and twice on Sundays over them.

Any chance we sign Roberts to a minor league deal with a Spring Invitation? I'd love for Schoop to be the starter and have Brian as a bench guy. Now, preferable we'd have better bench guys, but if the likes of Teagarden, Casilla, etc are coming back, I'd take BRob every day of the week and twice on Sundays over them.

I don't see Robert's ego allowing him to do that. As for the bench role, I'd actually prefer to have Casilla as a bench guy over Roberts for several reasons. One, Casilla can play other positions, especially shortstop, but most importantly Casilla's speed is a weapon on the bench. The only role I see Brian having here next year is if the Orioles determine he will be there every day second baseman again next year.

I don't see Robert's ego allowing him to do that. As for the bench role, I'd actually prefer to have Casilla as a bench guy over Roberts for several reasons. One, Casilla can play other positions, especially shortstop, but most importantly Casilla's speed is a weapon on the bench. The only role I see Brian having here next year is if the Orioles determine he will be there every day second baseman again next year.

Are you being very specific to Roberts here, or are you just saying any major leaguer with the success he's had? I never knew BRob to be an "ego" kinda guy? Then again, I don't see them once the cameras stop rolling.

Buck as said as much.

I think Roberts will be gone, like Reynolds, the dollar amounts make it unreasonable to keep them.

What dollar amounts? Roberts wants to play with a winner. I doubt he is concerned about money. I think he would sign a club friendly deal to play another year with the O's.

What dollar amounts? Roberts wants to play with a winner. I doubt he is concerned about money. I think he would sign a club friendly deal to play another year with the O's.

I think so too, but according to alot of people on here, he's nothing but a money loving jerk who took Angelos' $40 million and ran. (even though he busted his arse rehabbing time and time again to try to get back.)

Its kinda why I asked Tony the question about the "ego" thing.

Archived