TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking like Brian is making the decision for Buck these days.

By the same token that Buck is starting to look good for going with Roberts, you can say the same thing about his decision to keep putting Flaherty out there earlier this season, even though his offense was horrendous (albeit his defense was excellent, which is part of the reason why he stuck with him.) Flaherty EVENTUALLY caught fire, and then Brian Roberts came back and replaced a red-hot Flaherty.

So, Buck is looking good on two counts right now in regard to his decisions on who (and when) to play at 2nd base.

Roberts is having an outstanding week and we all hope it's harbinger of things to come. He's having some nice at bats, much better than he's had all season. Right now he deserves to be out there everyday. Flaherty is 3-for-8 after getting to play in back to back games as well.

Roberts is having an outstanding week and we all hope it's harbinger of things to come. He's having some nice at bats, much better than he's had all season. Right now he deserves to be out there everyday. Flaherty is 3-for-8 after getting to play in back to back games as well.

Tell you what, the bat speed and the pop are still there. I am surprised. I thought he'd look more like Markakis then the old BRob.

Tell you what, the bat speed and the pop are still there. I am surprised. I thought he'd look more like Markakis then the old BRob.

He's seeing the ball very well and getting the bat head to the ball better than he has all season. This is obviously his hottest streak this season and players always look better than they are when they are on a hot streak, but he's having very solid at bats right now and that's a good thing. It's hard to argue with success. Obviously I'm surprised he's doing this but hey, I'll take it.

He's seeing the ball very well and getting the bat head to the ball better than he has all season. This is obviously his hottest streak this season and players always look better than they are when they are on a hot streak, but he's having very solid at bats right now and that's a good thing. It's hard to argue with success. Obviously I'm surprised he's doing this but hey, I'll take it.

I think some people had doubts whether Roberts was capable of a hot streak, and rightfully so. This is basically nothing but good news for RoS.

Ride it into the ground!

Brian had been having good at-bats since he came back, seeing lots of pitches and hitting line drives, he looked like he was just unlucky to me, even when he was struggling. Obviously the luck has turned the other way and he can't hope to maintain this pace, but he is a damn tough out at the bottom of the lineup. I am sure he will go 0-4 for two consecutive games in the very near future and we will be back to talking about how his defense is costing the team 3 runs a week.

Despite Roberts' red hot streak last week, here's his numbers and Flaherty's over their last 17 games:

Roberts: .236/.313/.309/.622 (64 PAs)

Flaherty: .257/.316/.400/.716 (38 PAs) If you go back to Flaherty's last 66 PAs he's batting (.348/.394/.606/1.000)

Just more food for thought for those planting the winners flag after Roberts' hot week.

To me, it's total insanity that Flaherty isn't getting more playing time. He's producing, and as I said before, he very well could be our future 2B. Or at the very least a 400 AB super-utility guy. Need to see what we've got in him.

This thread is hilarious. Starts off with BRob struggling and everyone calling for his head. Then he gets hot and the BRob supporters come out. Then he cools and everyone calls for Flaherty. Then he gets red hot and the supporters say "told ya so." Then he gets cold for 3 games and its back to "why is Flaherty not getting PT." This thread is the perfect example of what its like to be a fan.

SD02.jpg

Archived