TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

Quite simply because I've never seen a player come back after missing so much time at 35-years old and become a valuable player again. The people who want Roberts in the lineup have to "hope" he becomes that player again. Like you said, what we have is a mountain of statistical evidence that suggests otherwise. Could Roberts be that outlier who comes back and becomes productive once again, sure, it could happen. I just don't think it's likely long term. His lack of speed and range is pretty glaring right now and speed was always a big part of his game.

Fair enough. I tend to think that there isn't really a precedent and that it's a bit of a unique situation, rather than saying stats say it's unlikely. Rather than unlikely, I just think it's an unusual and rarely seen situation.

He's taking good cuts and having good ABs. We'll see if that continues or if he slumps his way out of baseball.

Edit:

-Best comp I could think of is Chase Utley. One year younger than B rob, missed quite a few games the past 3 seasons (not as many as B rob), but having a decent year for the Phillies.

-There's also Justin Morneau who struggled with concussions. He's not doing so great.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing BRob now to what he has been for three years is a comparing a healthy player to an injured one. Not really a fair comparison. It is fair to say Brian could get hurt at any time.

Brian is probably in the last six weeks of his final regular season year with the O's. Age, salary and performance issues are all against him returning though its not impossible he could sign a 1M contract and be a backup player.

Flaherty is certainly on next years team. Schoop is not tearing it up at AAA and may start next year there, which leaves an opening for another player who can play 2nd until Schoop pushes his way to the majors.

Brian is no longer the speedster he was in his prime. He is now a savvy player that can get a hit with runners in scoring position. His defensive range is below average but not insulting.

Playing BRob as long as he keeps hitting is fine with me. However long that is.

Roberts, Flaherty.

Give me Schoop and lets be done with the whole thing.

Why? Schoop is batting .248 with a miserable .298 OBP at Norfolk. Plus, he has been playing at 3B. What makes you think he can just step in at 2B and do a better job than Roberts, or Flaherty?

Schoop will get a chance to prove his worth in a few weeks after the September call ups.

Why? Schoop is batting .248 with a miserable .298 OBP at Norfolk. Plus, he has been playing at 3B. What makes you think he can just step in at 2B and do a better job than Roberts, or Flaherty?

Schoop will get a chance to prove his worth in a few weeks after the September call ups.

Schoop does play 2nd, and Buck has said, he envisions Schoop at some point, being the starting second for this team, down the road at some point.

Looking forward...I hope the O's acquire a good 2B in the offseason. None of the in house options are looking great right now.

Seriously, how about letting Schoop show what he can do.

Remember Manny didnt have great bats in the minor league system and look what he has done. No, I don't think Schoop is that good, but the scouts and FO seam to think he has talent, so what the heck.

I tell you what, those who thought BROB was washed up better think again. He is driving the ball again with authority. Got a big two run double that just missed going out again tonight. He is batting something like 444 over his last 18 AB's and his exceptional hitting with RISP continues. This is the type of veteran hitting we need down the stretch. He also doesn't give away AB's even when making an out. Bordick was talking about this tonite.

Seriously, how about letting Schoop show what he can do.

Remember Manny didnt have great bats in the minor league system and look what he has done. No, I don't think Schoop is that good, but the scouts and FO seam to think he has talent, so what the heck.

I bet the scouts/minor league fortune tellers will sing a slightly different tune about Schoop after the offseason. I hope Schoop turns into the real deal but I am skeptical. If he's good then he will ultimately earn a spot or provide trade value.

Archived