What is the likely fate of the the three longest tenured Orioles for next season?

Gurgi

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I highly doubt FO's use ERA when they judge their relievers.

Its just an example.

7 blown saves in 47 chances is another example.

The number of heart attacks in the greater Baltimore metropolitan area is another.

The number of "F bombs" uttered in Dipper's house is another.

And so on and so forth.

Its just an example.

7 blown saves in 47 chances is another example.

The number of heart attacks in the greater Baltimore metropolitan area is another.

The number of "F bombs" uttered in Dipper's house is another.

And so on and so forth.

If JJ is still the league leader in saves, he is getting his money. Doesn't matter if he also leads the majors in BSs.

Thats horrible, His wins above replacement haven't been very good the last 3 years either. I don't think he'll get $10m as a FA. Maybe 7 or 8.

When Gregg was here I studied all the closers in the league and found 75% was normal on one-run saves. So JJ is about 1-2 below normal in that category.

Johnson has good stuff it's just not closer (swing and miss type) stuff. I'd still like to see what he can do in the rotation. You saw Norris get lit up in the 1st yesterday then settle down and keep the club in the game until the bats fired up. I think Johnson can do the same thing, it's just tough when those ground balls find holes and a bad inning leads to a loss instead of just being a bad inning the club can come back from.

Roberts - gone after 2013

Johnson - traded this offseason, salary reasons

Markakis - signed to another contract, personally negotiated by Angelos

Nicky will get another contract, he's a favorite of the manager and most fans. JJ is also a favorite, but who replaces him if he's traded? Hunter? A FA? Brian should get another short term deal, but DD never even mentions his name. Unfortunately, Brian is likely gone. Schoop better be ready, I don't want Flaherty starting a 2nd base.

I heard something crazy last night that Jim Johnson out of his 39 saves only 11 have been quality save. If you wanna pay a guy 8m for this go ahead. I rather that money go to signing Davis or Manny.

Manny isn't getting extended this off-season or I would be surprised if he is. Davis should get extended - at least I hope he is. I would pay him 8M for next year if he finishes strong. I don't believe Hunter or O'Day would have performed as well over the past 2 seasons. Undervalued by Oriole fans.

Johnson has good stuff it's just not closer (swing and miss type) stuff. I'd still like to see what he can do in the rotation. You saw Norris get lit up in the 1st yesterday then settle down and keep the club in the game until the bats fired up. I think Johnson can do the same thing, it's just tough when those ground balls find holes and a bad inning leads to a loss instead of just being a bad inning the club can come back from.

I would have no problem with Johnson being converted to a starter.

Nicky will get another contract, he's a favorite of the manager and most fans. JJ is also a favorite, but who replaces him if he's traded? Hunter? A FA? Brian should get another short term deal, but DD never even mentions his name. Unfortunately, Brian is likely gone. Schoop better be ready, I don't want Flaherty starting a 2nd base.

Why should he?

I was wondering why somebody with 100+ saves, would suddenly be turned into a starter, its not like he was a success starter prior.

There has been talk on several off-seasons about him starting again. Forget it if was from him, the front office, or what, but it has been put out there before. Heck, it might have been talked about two offseasons ago before we brought in Wada and Chen.

Archived