What is the likely fate of the the three longest tenured Orioles for next season?

Gurgi

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely. By the time this year is over, JJ will have something like 100 saves over the last two years (he's at 93 now). That's a very rare feat. Some team will be willing to trade for him and pay him a closer's salary.

Let's be real here. If Greg Holland was on this team he would have 98 saves now. Jim Johnson only has this many cause he gets more chances. You're crazy if you think teams wont look at his stats. Whip K/9 Stuff that closer go by.

WTH is a quality save?

It's a stat that some baseball fans will swear up and down is the authoritative measure of ability, while other baseball fans will dismiss as completely meaningless, frivolous and insignificant.

In other words, it's the same as basically any statistic you'll find in baseball.

So what point are you trying to prove with your post then? 11 of his 39 have been 1 run saves? So what?

Just saying O'day or Hunter could be doing what Jim Johnson is doing. You don't pay that guy 8m a year.

Not saying you are wrong, but that still doesn't mean someones not going to pay him $8M.

Only time will tell but i think the money is on he wont get 8m.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the O's extend him at arb. time for something like 3/25M. Really compared to the other closers on that list I think 8M per is reasonable. I bet DET would be happy to take on that salary.

That would be a terrible deal if we do that.

Johnson gets a lot of saves because the Orioles play a lot of close games. But he's not even the Orioles best reliever, much less an $8 million/year pitcher. I'd trade him and give the closer role to either Hunter or O' Day next season.

That would be a terrible deal if we do that.

Johnson gets a lot of saves because the Orioles play a lot of close games. But he's not even the Orioles best reliever, much less an $8 million/year pitcher. I'd trade him and give the closer role to either Hunter or O' Day next season.

Not every pitcher has the makeup to be a closer.

Screw JJ, ignore the 100+ saves, and just hand the job to an unproven talent.

Have no idea what they'll do with JJ, my guess is Buck will want him back next year. Markakis is signed, so he'll return unless another team wants to trade for him. They cant plan for Markakis to be effective in 2015, with the numbers he has right now though. So if he gets signed it will be for Mclouth money ($2m). Roberts likely done after this year.

JJ only has nine one-run saves, not eleven

9 for 14 in one run saves

12 for 13 in two run saves

18 for 19 in three+ run saves (includes three times he entered with a 4-run lead but runners already on base).

Thats horrible, His wins above replacement haven't been very good the last 3 years either. I don't think he'll get $10m as a FA. Maybe 7 or 8.

Archived