Does It Get Anymore Unclutch Than That?

Jonesy10

Yep it's a different team this time around. Much more traditional team. Lots of power, lots of Ks, snakebitten in the clutch, average to below average bullpen, average to above average SPs, league-leading defense.

Compare that to last year's decent power, lots of Ks, O-mazing in the clutch, league-leading bullpen, average SPs, above average defense.

I dunno about you, but I'd take last year's team over this year's any day. What ever they did last year to be able to pitch out of jams and hit in clutch situations and hold off the opposing offense in extras, ALL of that mojo is completely depleted, gone. Now we're just a playoff pretender that won't make it, but will get JUST close enough to keep fans' hopes up. it's worse when they're a tease and make you think they COULD be playoff bound, then put up a game like tonight's. Ridiculous. I'd rather them just lose every game so I can stop wasting my time watching them and get on with life.

Delivered by IP Over Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk 4

They keep having too many should-have-won losses. Just since the break, Chen's last three starts, in each of which he gives up three runs, but the hitters fail badly with RISP. Last night, when a tired bullpen struggles, helped by some questionable pitch calling (not using offspeed when Hunter couldn't get his fastballs down, Patton middle in to a righty on 1-2 when he was sharp away, even first pitch slider instead of fastball from O'Day), the hitters can't get a couple of key hits with RISP to win a slugfest. All winnable games that weren't won.

The season is dwindling away, with the O's yet to prove that they can go on a real hot stretch, despite having chances to do so.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We did take advantage of the Goldschmidt bobble. We scored a run with a man on 3rd and 1 out. Davis hits a clutch homerun to tie the game up another time. Roberts had a clutch double to RF. This game is on the bullpen. We had a 4-2 lead after 6. We are 14-19 in one run games? Again, the bullpen just hasn't been as good this year and the team hasn't been as lucky in the close games. The offense scored 6 runs. Let's not blame the offense again. Matusz was okay but he did hit the leadoff batter in the 7th. Hunter, Patton, and O'Day were not good. This team is good, just not playoff good.

AZ gave us two free baserunners in the ninth. Neither scored. As you said, we did score the tie run those runners moved to third, which was big, but we didn't turn them into a crooked number, as AZ did with theirs in the seventh after one out.

As is the case with runners left on base, the R.I.S.P. needs to be scrutinized beyond just the face value of the statistic itself.

Last night was a good example, at least as to what occurred in the 4th inning.

In the 4th inning, there were 2 outs an nobody on base, and the Orioles rallied to score a run. Pearce singled. Then Roberts doubled him home. Then Feldman struck out.

So, Roberts doubled home a runner who was not in scoring position. The Feldman struck out with a runner in scoring position. Now, aside from the fact that Feldman is a pitcher, let's just say for arguments sake that we had a DH in this game, and the pitcher did not have to hit for himself. Even if it had been a regular position player or a DH that struck out with Roberts on second base, the fact is that the Orioles were very clutch in that inning.

A. They started a rally (and scored a run) with 2 outs and nobody on base.

B. Roberts doubled home a run, but the runner was not in scoring position.

C. After we already scored a run, the following batter made an out with a runner in scoring position.

BUT ........ if you look strictly at the statistic of how the team fared with R.I.SP., it simply reads as an "0-for-1." Very misleading if you are simply looking at how the Orioles fared with R.I.S.P. without taking anything else into context/consideration.

As is the case with runners left on base, the R.I.S.P. needs to be scrutinized beyond just the face value of the statistic itself.

Last night was a good example.

In the 4th inning, there were 2 outs an nobody on base, and the Orioles rallied to score a run. Pearce singled. Then Roberts doubled him home. Then Feldman struck out.

So, Roberts doubled home a runner who was not in scoring position. The Feldman struck out with a runner in scoring position. Now, aside from the fact that Feldman is a pitcher, let's just say for arguments sake that we had a DH in this game, and the pitcher did not have to hit for himself. Even if it had been a regular position player or a DH that struck out with Roberts on second base, the fact is that the Orioles were very clutch in that inning.

C. After we already scored a run, the following batter made an out with a runner in scoring position.

BUT ........ if you look strictly at the statistic of how the team fared with R.I.SP., it simply reads as an "0-for-1." Very misleading if you are simply looking at how the Orioles fared with R.I.S.P. without taking anything else into context/consideration.

Good post, but you are posting facts, and well, some people will overlook em. :)

Excellent post.

Also, I don't think anyone can argue that Davis game-tying homerun in the bottom of the ninth wasn't clutch--despite the fact that there was no baserunner in scoring postion.

Bottom line is, they scored 6 runs last night. If you score 6 runs, you should usually win. Pitching just didn't get it done.

Excellent post.

Also, I don't think anyone can argue that Davis game-tying homerun in the bottom of the ninth wasn't clutch--despite the fact that there was no baserunner in scoring postion.

Bottom line is, they scored 6 runs last night. If you score 6 runs, you should usually win. Pitching just didn't get it done.

Actually, starting pitching did, 5.1 innings, and 1 earned run.

Feldman left the game was tied at 2, he did his job and kept the team in the game.

Not trying to throw the bullpen under the buss, others have done that all day today, but fact it, they blew the game.

I agree with this, but the thing is I'm not just saying this game. Over the last 3 losses we have had 27 ABs with RISP (averaging one per inning), and we have ONE HIT. Even if you take out Chen's bases loaded AB and Feldman's K last night, it is still 1-25. Even if they were 5-25 which is still terrible, the Orioles win 2 of those games and maybe all 3.

The loss last night wasnt on the offense, but they could have and should have been much better. It's just like the Sunday game against the Mariners. That game was on the offense, but Chen still could have not thrown that HR to that washed up catcher. Just because the loss was probably due to either the pitching/offense, doesn't mean the other couldn't be better as well.

I agree with this, but the thing is I'm not just saying this game.

Over the last 3 losses we have had 27 ABs with RISP (averaging one per inning), and we have ONE HIT. Even if you take out Chen's bases loaded AB and Feldman's K last night, it is still 1-25. Even if they were 5-25 which is still terrible, the Orioles win 2 of those games and maybe all 3.

The loss last night wasnt on the offense, but they could have and should have been much better. It's just like the Sunday game against the Mariners. That game was on the offense, but Chen still could have not thrown that HR to that washed up catcher. Just because the loss was probably due to either the pitching/offense, doesn't mean the other couldn't be better as well.

I wasn't just talking about last night's game, either.

Ultimately, it comes down to how many runs the team scores.

And if an offense scores 3 runs or less, it's usually not good.

4 runs will give you a shot, it's borderline.

If you score 5 runs or more, you should probably win the game, and if you don't, it's (in most cases) the fault of the pitching and/or the defense.

The Orioles scored 6 runs last night, 10 runs the day before, and 2 runs the day before that.

So the bottom line is that in the last 3 games, that the offense got the job done twice, and they did not get the job once.

I agree with this, but the thing is I'm not just saying this game. Over the last 3 losses we have had 27 ABs with RISP (averaging one per inning), and we have ONE HIT. Even if you take out Chen's bases loaded AB and Feldman's K last night, it is still 1-25. Even if they were 5-25 which is still terrible, the Orioles win 2 of those games and maybe all 3.

So basically you're saying we've been bad with RISP in games we lose.....isn't that sort of a Captain Obvious statement?

Of course we're bad with RISP in losses, that's probably a contributing factor to why we lost. Mind you it's not the only reason because, as some other posters have illustrated (high five to OFFNY) not all "clutch" hits are in RISP situations. And also, getting a hit with a RISP doesn't always mean a run scores. (like anytime Wieters is at 2nd and there's a single; it's 1-1 with RISP but runners at 1st and 3rd)

Roberts 2 out RBI double was "clutch", ditto for Davis' full count, game tying solo HR in the 8th. Nick's sac fly was huge but because it's not a hit or an AB, it doesn't show up in RISP.

You're using RISP way too liberally, painting with a broad brush and the fact of the matter is that you're not always going to be nails with runners in scoring position.

So basically you're saying we've been bad with RISP in games we lose.....isn't that sort of a Captain Obvious statement?

Of course we're bad with RISP in losses, that's probably a contributing factor to why we lost. Mind you it's not the only reason because, as some other posters have illustrated (high five to OFFNY) not all "clutch" hits are in RISP situations. And also, getting a hit with a RISP doesn't always mean a run scores. (like anytime Wieters is at 2nd and there's a single; it's 1-1 with RISP but runners at 1st and 3rd)

Roberts 2 out RBI double was "clutch", ditto for Davis' full count, game tying solo HR in the 8th. Nick's sac fly was huge but because it's not a hit or an AB, it doesn't show up in RISP.

You're using RISP way too liberally, painting with a broad brush and the fact of the matter is that you're not always going to be nails with runners in scoring position.

I understand what you're saying but its still pretty alarming. I think what I'm trying to get at is that when they are bad with RISP (they as REALLY BAD) and when they are good with RISP they are really good, so it makes our total average look good, but the inconsistency of the RISP hitting is hurting us from game to game and is preventing us from winning many nights.

For Example, Since the All Star Break:

The Orioles are 12-10.

Their overall average with RISP is .271 (49-181) which is pretty good.

They are hitting .388 with RISP in their 12 wins (49-116).

But they are hitting .062 with RISP in their 10 losses (4-65).

So, as I said, the overall average looks good, but their inconsistencies getting that average is probably costing us games. They are hitting .062 in 10 losses after the Break, which isn't that small of a sample size. And actually, they were even more drastic splits once I added the Texas series (.062 in losses vs. .424 in wins).

Obviously I know that they most likely will not hit for a high average with RISP when they lose, but those are disturbing trends when looking at that .062 average since the break. It's just a problem that they have been SO BAD when they are bad. Even if they were at .150 average in those losses that could be the difference between 2/3 more wins, and .150 is still TERRIBLE.

I understand what you're saying but its still pretty alarming. I think what I'm trying to get at is that when they are bad with RISP (they as REALLY BAD) and when they are good with RISP they are really good, so it makes our total average look good, but the inconsistency of the RISP hitting is hurting us from game to game and is preventing us from winning many nights.

The Orioles are 12-10.

So, as I said, the overall average looks good, but their inconsistencies getting that average is probably costing us games. They are hitting .062 in 10 losses after the Break, which isn't that small of a sample size. And actually, they were even more drastic splits once I added the Texas series (.062 in losses vs. .424 in wins).

Obviously I know that they most likely will not hit for a high average with RISP when they lose, but those are disturbing trends when looking at that .062 average since the break. It's just a problem that they have been SO BAD when they are bad. Even if they were at .150 average in those losses that could be the difference between 2/3 more wins, and .150 is still TERRIBLE.

Meant to say BEFORE I added the Texas series, not after.

Offense disappears when we need them once afaik and the pitching does their best to blow a 3 run lead. Finding new ways to lose every night. Johnson as usual is absolutely worthless and blows the lead. This team is the definition of unclutch.

Offense disappears when we need them once afaik and the pitching does their best to blow a 3 run lead. Finding new ways to lose every night. Johnson as usual is absolutely worthless and blows the lead. This team is the definition of unclutch.

Don't give 2 cents. 4th most runs scored in the league. Tank that to bank and eat it.

The Orioles are 12-10.

Out of curiosity, what is the league average for RISP in losses? I always hate looking like numbers like this in a vacuum. Like primetime said, of course we hit poorly with RISP in games we lose--if we always hit .388, we'd almost never lose. But I assume this is true for other teams as well. I wonder how profound the split is league-wide.

Archived