Does It Get Anymore Unclutch Than That?

Jonesy10

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. Baseball doesn't work this way. Better pitchers than Patrick Corbin lose games to teams worse than the Orioles just about every day.

I'm always in favor of another dose of negativity (e. g. in the post you replied to), but I actually agree completely with your post. In fact, one thing this season has taught us again and again is that our offense isn't going to be shut down by studly starting pitchers. 40 year old soft-throwing lefties, yes - but not studs.

Corbin is a LHP, but he's got too much arm strength at his young age to be a threat to us. He'll go up there and "challenge" Davis and Jones with velocity and he'll get shelled.

I'm not concerned about our ability to score runs. We will put up enough runs to win a well-pitched game against Corbin. But can the leaky pen hold the lead? That is the question we should be asking ourselves.

Delivered by IP Over Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk 4

I'm glad I went to sleep after 5 innings with the O's ahead. Sounds like a tough loss.

But we entered the game winners of 4 of 5 on this trip. From the tone of this board, you'd think we were stuck in a 2-14 slump. We're still in a pretty good position, standings-wise. I still love watching Baseball That Matters in mid-August!

I'm glad I went to sleep after 5 innings with the O's ahead. Sounds like a tough loss.

But we entered the game winners of 4 of 5 on this trip. From the tone of this board, you'd think we were stuck in a 2-14 slump. We're still in a pretty good position, standings-wise. I still love watching Baseball That Matters in mid-August!

Baseball that matters in August isn't being played by this team - haven't you been reading all of these great threads about firing the hitting coach and the use of the bullpen.

Yep it's a different team this time around. Much more traditional team. Lots of power, lots of Ks, snakebitten in the clutch, average to below average bullpen, average to above average SPs, league-leading defense.

Compare that to last year's decent power, lots of Ks, O-mazing in the clutch, league-leading bullpen, average SPs, above average defense.

I dunno about you, but I'd take last year's team over this year's any day. What ever they did last year to be able to pitch out of jams and hit in clutch situations and hold off the opposing offense in extras, ALL of that mojo is completely depleted, gone. Now we're just a playoff pretender that won't make it, but will get JUST close enough to keep fans' hopes up. it's worse when they're a tease and make you think they COULD be playoff bound, then put up a game like tonight's. Ridiculous. I'd rather them just lose every game so I can stop wasting my time watching them and get on with life.

Delivered by IP Over Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk 4

The Orioles starting pitching has the 27th worst ERA in the majors. I don't think it is above average. Also the starters have not gone over six innings in any game since last Sunday at home. Five innings puts too much strain on the bullpen. Thank god for off days otherwise the bullpen would be overworked. The Orioles are 21st in quality starts in the majors. Also only had one start ofr seven innings the week of the 29th.

The Orioles starting pitching has the 27th worst ERA in the majors. I don't think it is above average. Also the starters have not gone over six innings in any game since last Sunday at home. Five innings puts too much strain on the bullpen. Thank god for off days otherwise the bullpen would be overworked. The Orioles are 21st in quality starts in the majors. Also only had one start ofr seven innings the week of the 29th.

Maybe we should send down a 2B and bring up a bullpen arm. Or use TJ McFarland.

This was a game we had..then lost...then tied...then lost..then tied..then lost for the last time.We might look back at this game as the game we

desperately wanted to give away..and THIS game could be the one that gave away our chances for a wild card spot. Sure we still have plenty of

baseball left, but if we lose this series or are swept, I really dont like our chances...

There are at least a dozen games already this year that were easily in our hands and we just gave them away and we have had very, very few late inning comebacks and I can't hardly remember the last walk off win we had. Not a playoff team.

Maybe we should send down a 2B and bring up a bullpen arm. Or use TJ McFarland.

It remains to be seen whether this strategy of keeping Rule 5 guys who contribute minimally is going to pan out. Two years now and we have had to keep Flaherty and McFarland all year on the 25 man roster and it is still a question as to whether these are major league contributors on a team that has pennant aspirations. Instead of two veteran contributors, DD decided to keep Rule 5 guys two years in a row.

Oh, and we are 14-19 in 1 run games.

Give me a break. Almost everybody on this board, in the media, and has any knowledge of the game of baseball said before the season started that their record in one run games was unsustainable, and nobody expected them to be able to replicate it. So don't come off whining and crying about it now when nobody expected it to happen again in the first place.

1-8 with RISP

Bullpen blows two separate leads, and gives up a total of 5 runs the last 3 innings.

Seriously... Last year we would've taken the lead in the 9th, taking advantage of that terrible bobble by Goldschmit and walk by Ziegler. Instead we get 1 run and Machado pops out.

Then the BP decides to stink it up in one of the few games on this road trip that we've actually needed them to pitch well.

You just know the Orioles will find a way to lose close games this year. Whether its not being able to get clutch hit(s) or the bullpen blowing a lead its ALWAYS SOMETHING. They just always find new ways to lose.

The Orioles were 1-8 with RISP, but the offense didn't lose them that game. You can't expect the team to score 6-8 runs every game. This loss is on the pen. How many times did the offense do enough to win only to see the pen lose it. The stupid call by the ump cost us a run (and probably another inning of Feldman), but it didn't cost us the game IMO. If this Orioles offense had last years pen we would be in first in the AL East.

This was a game we had..then lost...then tied...then lost..then tied..then lost for the last time.We might look back at this game as the game we

desperately wanted to give away..and THIS game could be the one that gave away our chances for a wild card spot. Sure we still have plenty of

baseball left, but if we lose this series or are swept, I really dont like our chances...

They team will be fine.

It remains to be seen whether this strategy of keeping Rule 5 guys who contribute minimally is going to pan out. Two years now and we have had to keep Flaherty and McFarland all year on the 25 man roster and it is still a question as to whether these are major league contributors on a team that has pennant aspirations. Instead of two veteran contributors, DD decided to keep Rule 5 guys two years in a row.

The Rule 5 leaves you with a relative 24 man roster, but it is the Orioles that have elected a 23 man roster while keeping Gregg and Casilla.

Archived