Adam Jones on Fans that left game.

Greg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After going to Camden Yards 20 odd times this year and seeing it half empty most times while the team contends for the playoffs, I'm already sensitive to the fairweather nature of Baltimore Orioles fans, and I don't even play the game.

Jones has way more of a right to be pissed after playing in front of a half empty Camden Yards most of the year. I'd call out the fanbase, too.

This is crap. The Os are drawing around 30k fans a game this year. Ahead of the Pirates (the feel good story of the year), well ahead of the Indians, A's, and Royals (all teams having great seasons in markets similar in size to Baltimore), and they are not even that far behind Boston. Boston supposedly has the best fans in baseball, yet have one down season and their fans jump off the bandwagon quicker than a northern Virginia Yankee fan. Seriously, look at the change in attendance in Boston after ONE losing season. Can you imagine what would happen after 14?

The Os have some of the best TV ratings in baseball. They play in one of the more electric stadiums in baseball. Is there a better big game atmosphere found anywhere else in MLB (see this night 1 year ago today)?

I am tired of Oriole fan bashing with the crap this fanbase put up with for 14 seasons. Attendance is WAY up, interest is way up, ratings are way up. We draw much better than teams playing in similar markets.

All that said, I don't really have an issue with what AJ said. I like his fire and I like that he speaks his mind. He is generally really appreciative of oriole fan support and I like his no filter/no BS approach.

A Tweet he should have thought about twice before posting. What does he know about people's reasons to leave the game?

I had never left a game early until an unfortunate night in May 1996 (I think). It was getting late, we were down by 3 to Seattle going into the bottom of the night, my wife (girlfriend at the time) was the driver and she was exhausted... So we left. We were in the car for about a minute, had just turned on the game on the radio, and sure enough, Chris Hoiles hit a game-winning grand slam HR, with 2 outs and 2 strikes IIRC.

I have never left a game early since, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing. We made it home safely, and that's the most important thing.

Adam--keep playing good baseball, worry about yourself and your teammates and let the fans take care of themselves.

People bash him on this board all the time. Bunch of hypocrites. It's okay for people on this site to talk out of the other side of their mouths, but not Adam. Yeah, okay.

You know? Let the guy vent like everyone else does. Does anyone realize how stressful it is being a major league baseball player? Thought so. Except maybe Weams... I mean Jim Palmer.

If it was me, I probably would have tweeted for those fans to go F themselves.

They need an MLB edition of this video. They get d-bag people tweeting them all the time as well. Sure the athletes need to show professionalism, but it is indeed a double standard when one speaks out or dishes some back.

[video=youtube_share;n6V8N4Gwo88]

It seems like the majority of people on OH (at least vocally) seem to think it's not ok for the fans to boo Orioles for poor play, but it is OK for players to call out the fans when they perform poorly.

That's harsh. And I think wrong. But just like you... it's MHO.

Adam Jones is the real deal. He is dedicated to not only the O's but to the city. Maybe, it's the social media, but I do not recall many players over the last half century of my being an Oriole fan that exhibit what AJ does. I wish all his teammates had his passion (but not his susceptibility to the low, outside slider). AJ will have a statue at Camden Yards. Keep it up Adam, some appreciate what you do, others will always find faults.

A Tweet he should have thought about twice before posting. What does he know about people's reasons to leave the game?

I had never left a game early until an unfortunate night in May 1996 (I think). It was getting late, we were down by 3 to Seattle going into the bottom of the night, my wife (girlfriend at the time) was the driver and she was exhausted... So we left. We were in the car for about a minute, had just turned on the game on the radio, and sure enough, Chris Hoiles hit a game-winning grand slam HR, with 2 outs and 2 strikes IIRC.

I have never left a game early since, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing. We made it home safely, and that's the most important thing.

Adam--keep playing good baseball, worry about yourself and your teammates and let the fans take care of themselves.

This is my take as well. AJ's tweet was kinda petulant and indirectly set down some criteria for appropriate fan behavior. It's really not a players place to have an opinion on a fan's decision to stay or leave.

Archived