Trade rumor

DIPPER24

Not to make any sort of sweeping generalization, but to quote SG: If you wouldn't trade Chris Ray for Carl Crawford, I am glad you aren't running the O's FO.

It means you overvalue the closer position, and that is exactly the type of teams we should be trying to trade with.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pick one:

a) Loewen + Ray + Olson/Liz for Crawford

b) Penn + Ray + Erbe for Crawford

c) Penn + Ray for Baldelli

d) Loewen for Baldelli

e) None of the above

JMHO of course, but I'd say those are all pretty realistic in terms of matching needs with values.

so does that mean Penn + Erbe = Loewen + Olson/Liz??

not sure I agree on that

Pick one:

d) Loewen for Baldelli

e) None of the above

JMHO of course, but I'd say those are all pretty realistic in terms of matching needs with values.

Given these options:

I'd do A. I'd hem and haw and whine about B, but may ultimately do it. Wouldn't do C. And may do D, but Baldelli would have to go through about 8,000 medical exams.

Originally Posted by davearm

Pick one:

d) Loewen for Baldelli

e) None of the above

Interesting because I'd have a tougher time doing A than B at this point. Sure, Erbe looks to be better than Liz or Olson, but he's so young and it's 50/50 for young guys like him to even stay healthy. Also, there have been some whispers about his future being closer which would make him really not a much better prospect than Liz, IMO. You gotta like Loewen better than Penn at this point. Right? It can certainly be argued different ways.

Well the whole point was to make it a difficult choice. ;)

Somewhere along the line I got it in my head that Erbe looks like he could be really really good. Liz and Olson I'm less impressed with, although they do come with somewhat less risk of injury and/or development snags since they're further along in the system.

Honestly, the fact that either a) or and b) would both be so painful is what leads me to give c) some strong consideration. Baldelli's no slouch.

Originally Posted by davearm

Pick one:

d) Loewen for Baldelli

e) None of the above

Interesting because I'd have a tougher time doing A than B at this point. Sure, Erbe looks to be better than Liz or Olson, but he's so young and it's 50/50 for young guys like him to even stay healthy. Also, there have been some whispers about his future being closer which would make him really not a much better prospect than Liz, IMO. You gotta like Loewen better than Penn at this point. Right? It can certainly be argued different ways.

Loewen is better than Penn.

For me it's about Erbe.

I know he's young and he had to be shut down a bit. But local boy with a cannon on his arm and simply eye-popping numbers- I can't bring myself to part with it easily. He could be a phenom- I just don't think Loewen will be good enough for me to choose him over Erbe.

It really can be argued any which way...just really a matter of preference.

I just think C is far too much for Baldelli. I don't think Ray, a proven, young closer under contract, can be added to the deal for a guy who has probably spent more time on the DL than on the field.

For Baldelli, I'd either give them Loewen straight up. Or Penn and Liz/Olson. But I can't put Ray in that deal...don't think I'd even do Ray for Baldelli straight up.

I agree with each piece, that Penn < Loewen and Erbe > Liz/Olson, but I think the difference between each is different. I would go Penn + Ray + Erbe long before having Loewen in a trade.

So what you're saying is if you had Loewen and another team was willing to give you Penn, Ray, and Erbe for him, you wouldn't do it?

Archived