Offseason: Shin-Soo Choo

joedogg9999

Teams like OAK and TB use low cost catching platoons and get decent production. Look around the leagues and you'll see others. Wieters has been a nice asset but lets not fall in love with him. Yeah DD needs to do some work improving the catching depth. But I'm guessing clevenger might have been more pruductive than Taylor Teagarden. Novel concept but many teams use 2 or more catchers throughout the year.
We hear that thee is no movement on a Wieters extension and then we get Snyder and Clevenger? Just a coincidence? Maybe DD is thinking trade.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Ckevenger (or somebody like him) and another RHB platooning at catcher a punt? The thread is about Choo i.e. allocating resources for Choo. You don't think Choo can be productive or you just don't see any possible tradeoff?
Choo can definitely be productive. the O's just can't afford him.

We hear that thee is no movement on a Wieters extension and then we get Snyder and Clevenger? Just a coincidence? Maybe DD is thinking trade.

I think the draft along with Clevenger promotion and Teagarden DFA probably indicates Wieters won 't be extended. I expect he'll be our catcher next year though.

Choo can definitely be productive. the O's just can't afford him.

Roberts 10.00 mil

Hammel 6.75 mil

Johnson 6.50 mil

Mclouth 2.00 mil

Casilla 1.90 mi

Betemit 1.75 mil

Wada 4.00 mil

By my count that's right around 33 mil we can easily cut next year. Even with raises and extending Davis (a lot of which would be backloaded), I think we can come in around 100 mil next year (assuming that's the actual target). I figure Wieters at around 7 mil, Norris 5.5 mil and Tillman isn't even arb eligible until 2015.

I know some guys are a lot more detailed than me, but it can be done imo.

There is absolutely NO reason the Orioles can't afford a $140m payroll next year, and candidly, if PA wants to maximize the value of MASN he needs to up the payroll to make sure this team contends. MASN ratings and revenues have gone through the roof. If you surround the core on this team with pieces that can get the team deep into post season, the ratings and fees for the next several years could easily increase another 50%. This happens and the team likely gets to 3m in attendance too.

If PA is about the money, jacking up the payroll now and having a contender the next 5 years probably increases the combined Orioles/MASN value by $500 million. PA is kind of entering a perfect storm. The Yankees are weaker than they have been in nearly 20 years. This is the time to really go for it and it is a win win for all. Us fans win because we have a sustainable winner for the next 5 years. PA wins because the value of his investment soars.

There is absolutely NO reason the Orioles can't afford a $140m payroll next year, and candidly, if PA wants to maximize the value of MASN he needs to up the payroll to make sure this team contends. MASN ratings and revenues have gone through the roof. If you surround the core on this team with pieces that can get the team deep into post season, the ratings and fees for the next several years could easily increase another 50%. This happens and the team likely gets to 3m in attendance too.

If PA is about the money, jacking up the payroll now and having a contender the next 5 years probably increases the combined Orioles/MASN value by $500 million. PA is kind of entering a perfect storm. The Yankees are weaker than they have been in nearly 20 years. This is the time to really go for it and it is a win win for all. Us fans win because we have a sustainable winner for the next 5 years. PA wins because the value of his investment soars.

That is the exact argument (minus the Yankees) that Arte Moreno gave when he signed Pujols.

Yes there is room to grow payroll and not impinge upon ownership's profits but you can not just assume higher payroll will lead to better on field results.

That is the exact argument (minus the Yankees) that Arte Moreno gave when he signed Pujols.

Yes there is room to grow payroll and not impinge upon ownership's profits but you can not just assume higher payroll will lead to better on field results.

I don't advocate stupid spending which is exactly what Pujols and Hamilton were. I want us to have deeper pitching and quality depth on the bench so we can rest guys during the course of the season. I want OBP for the offense.

I don't advocate stupid spending which is exactly what Pujols and Hamilton were. I want us to have deeper pitching and quality depth on the bench so we can rest guys during the course of the season. I want OBP for the offense.

I get where you are coming from I was just saying that A+B doesn't always equal C. Few owners will risk dramatically jumping payroll now for the hope of increased revenues later.

That does not change the fact that Choo is hitting under .200 vs lefties and OPSing under .600 the last 2 seasons. Pence is a much better fit.

Good points. Maybe those splits make Choo less expensive and perhaps it would be better to platoon him some against LHP. Pence just doesn't get on base enough and too much of his OBP is BA driven,.

Archived